Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling in hot and humid environment

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling in hot and humid environment

Old 07-01-22, 05:27 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
You remember correctly. I was throwing up every few minutes, so I couldn't take in any salt. I was alone in a wheelchair in the hallway of the Clovis Emergency Department for hours (waiting room was full), so I started licking my arms.

After about 1/2 hour of arm licking, the vomiting stopped and I was able to lift my head, so I left. Never saw a doctor. I was fine by the next day.

Lesson learned.
You saved at least $7899.13
Likes For greatbasin:
Old 07-03-22, 02:52 PM
808HIcycler

Bikes: 2020 Scott addict RC 10, 2024 Polygon Siskiu D7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
When I lived in Guam, I found I had to do one bottle mixed with DripDrop and one of pure water. For whatever reason my body did not like only taking in the mixed bottles and I would get sluggish and tired more quickly when I did this. It took me about a month of experimenting to find what made me feel the best both during and post ride.
Old 07-04-22, 05:04 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I was out on a very hot ride a couple weeks ago, and another rider put a handful of ice cubes down the back of my jersey neck. With a snug jersey, the ice just kind of sat there between my shoulder blades and cooled me for a little while. It was a neat trick that I'd never known about before that day.
lol was it a rando?
Old 07-04-22, 05:53 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Houston hasn’t seen temps during the day below 90something since May. Humidity has been up and down, but heat index has been well over 100. We just try to get out early enough to beat as much heat as possible. Lots of water and food. Sometimes I’ll remember to drop one of those tablets in my bottle but usually I just slam a Gatorade when we stop. I will have to try adding more sodium though.
Old 07-04-22, 08:03 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by 808HIcycler
When I lived in Guam, I found I had to do one bottle mixed with DripDrop and one of pure water. For whatever reason my body did not like only taking in the mixed bottles and I would get sluggish and tired more quickly when I did this. It took me about a month of experimenting to find what made me feel the best both during and post ride.
I do the same. On a hot century ride, I'll bring three bottles. One bottle would have oatmeal with milk + sugar on it. The other two bottles are water with ice mixed with a pinch of electrolytes each inside a small insulated pannier bag. I can easily access the bottles on the pannier bag so I don't have to stop when I reach for them.

I also don't like mixing "fuel" with hydration (water) so I keep fuel bottle separate from hydration bottles. I do mix water with electrolytes (Himalayan salt + powdered citric acid) because I found it easier to drink water mixed with small amount of electrolytes and seems to taste better as well as compared to pure water. A tiny bit of salt in water will also prevent sweating excessively. If you're like me who sweats like rain in the heat, It's a good thing to avoid dehydration from sweating excessively.
Old 07-05-22, 12:44 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
I'd choose hot & dry 100 times over warm & humid. My lungs don't like it at all. As for water consumption, I don't really increase it if it's more humid outside. My intake depends on how fast I sweat.

Last edited by eduskator; 07-05-22 at 12:47 PM.