Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Olmo Racing mixte

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Olmo Racing mixte

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-22, 11:28 PM
roshko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Olmo Racing mixte

Dear friends,
I found last weekend an interesting mixte type frame (actually a whole bike) Olmo Racing. I need your expertise on precise dating the bike and re-building it with the proper components. I'm afraid that most of the parts now are not the original ones. Maybe only the seat post (Miche by ITM), saddle, wheels and cassette (all branded Miche) are on it's place but what about the rest? I have some doubts about the fork also. By the way, both fork ends and rear dropouts are not marked/stamped.
Serial number of the frame is WC2001N and the size marked on the BB shell is 52. The pattern of BB shell looks to me quite simple. Italian standarts BB - 36x24T. Is it possible that the frame has been built for Omlo by any of other manufacturers and which one?

Please have a look at the pictures and share your expertise about the period the frame was made, proper components etc.
Any info is much appreciated!

Old 07-04-22, 12:06 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 931 Posts
Paging @Peter_B
Old 07-04-22, 04:16 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Technically not a mixte, but an "anglais".

Columbus Gara is straight-gauge chr-mo, everything 0.8 except the chainstays (0.9), forks (1.0), and steerer (1.55/2.3).

I have no idea about age or componentry, but even as is it's a looker.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 07-04-22, 07:51 AM
Peter_B
Senior Moment

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would guess it is 1990s due to head badge style.
Likes For Peter_B:
Old 07-04-22, 10:30 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Gara is not listed in the 1988 Columbus literature but it was available at least as early as 1991. We also know that the subject version of the Gara decal was discontinued at least as early as 1998. That would fit the timeframe suggested in the above post.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 07-04-22, 02:13 PM
Highmass

Bikes: 1991 Centurion Oxygen, 1997 Centurion Invincible, 1995+- Fondriest Wind, 1982 Grand Master Nissan Pro 2000, 1992 Olmo Racing (The racing part of the name HAS to be a joke).

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
I have a 1994 Olmo Racing. Apart from mine being bigger and a mens model, the frame is almost identical to the opīs frame. On my frame the fork is painted red on the "crown" (Is it a crown when itīs a modern fork?), which makes me belives that the opīs frame might be slightly older then mine. So my guesstimate is 1992-1993.
Frame is relatively heavy (Gara), and geometry feels quite relaxed to me, so I think the choice of Racing as the name, is somewhat inappropriate. But with Shimano 600 tricolor, my bike is still resonably fast, and quite comfortable.
But at least it is red, and I also belive that it is Italian, as mine has a chanstay protector with the text "Handmade by Olmo". As Olmo made both expensive racers and cheap garbage (And just about everything in between), Iīm pretty sure they built the frame themselves.
Likes For Highmass: