Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Braking For Animals

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Braking For Animals

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-21, 11:07 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
On the Burlington Bikeway the other day I saw a guy suddenly swerve and fall, his buddy also hit the brakes and almost did an endo, but merely (?) mashed his testicles on the top bar. Why? They were "avoiding a chipmunk." Guy #1 was down and a little scraped, but cradling his right arm which he said he could not move; also said something about collarbone again.
My policy for small mammals like that, on a bike or in a car, is straight-line braking. I have known two people who smashed cars trying to dodge a squirrel. One ended in a wheelchair. The critters seem to often give you a really good fake one direction, then go the other, probably effective for avoiding a stooping hawk. If you bite on the fake, then try to avoid the opposite direction run, Blammo! an accident.
there’s a well-known pic floating around the interwebs of the aftermath of a squirrel getting caught up in a front wheel. It got whipped up against the rear of the CF fork, snapping both fork legs below the crown and bringing the rider down with injury. Alas, the squirrel didn’t survive the experience, but between the spokes, the wiry little bastard and the fork, it was the fork that gave way. Based on this, I try to avoid squirrels and yell at them ahead of time to get them to scamper in the opposite direction. A while back, a friend and I were riding along when a squirrel runs out across our path. I brake, squirrel passes in front of me and leaps straight into my friend’s rear wheel. Fortunately for all concerned, he was running a Campag G3-spoked wheel (ie, large gaps). Squirrel made it half way through a gap when a spoke coming up launched him - he got ~6 feet into the air, landed and scampered off with no apparent harm. Pretty funny to see 😀
Old 09-29-21, 06:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
I had to break for geese during my recently-completed tour. Saw a mink, but it was already dead, so I didn't stop.

Rode the Harlem Valley Trail in NY. Coincidentally, a guy I know and his wife rode it the day before. They had to brake for this little bugger. He eventually wandered off.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-29-21 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-11-21, 02:04 PM
das8929

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There’s tons of rabbits and squirrels on the local trails here, I never worry about hitting them though. They always will just run around aimlessly, trying to avoid hitting them will just cause you to crash and make it more likely to hit them too.
Old 10-11-21, 02:21 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Where we live has a fair amount of deer. I have had them run in front of me on occasion, but have been prescient enough to brake/slow each time. Only once was I concerned (cornering at 20+ mph) and I AirZounded two short blasts while slowing. Fortunately they ran deeper into the woods rather than the street. They are beautiful creatures.
Old 10-11-21, 05:58 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
I dread small mamal encounters.

Their evolutionary survival strategy against owls and hawks is to run one way, then jink another to spoil the attack swoop. Works great for that, terribly when the looming shadow is a cyclist, the sad joke used to be that the only way to miss was to aim for them.

Came upon a chipmunk still twitching from the rider before early this year, dismounted with a heavy heart as soon as I saw a big stick. Fortunately it was no longer twitching when I walked back, so I only had to sweep it off the path and not perform a regretful necessity.
Old 10-13-21, 10:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Meanwhile, in NJ:

Old 10-13-21, 11:36 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Squirrels can do some serious damage. This pic has been floating around for a while. Google "squirrel in bike wheel" for more...

Low spoke wheel.

I am hoping that when my turn comes I have the time to lift my front wheel enough to get over the animal. Doesn't need to clear it but the outcome above is not acceptable. So far I've never had fewer than 28 spokes (on one wheel I rarely ride). After seeing this I think I'll stick to 32. (36 for my commuters ridden at night in western Oregon doesn't seem all that dumb.)