Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Roundabout nightmare.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Roundabout nightmare.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-14, 12:23 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Roundabout nightmare.

Today I had a very near miss on my bike. Riding around a very busy roundabout with two lanes I was in the middle of the road, as I was going to leave the roundabout two exits later, when a builder's van cut across me from the right hand lane, turning left to leave at the exit I was just passing. I had to jam on the brakes and come to a complete stop in the middle of a busy roundabout which is not the ideal position to be in.

I have no problem generally when riding in traffic but the one aspect that seems to cause most problems is crossing roundabouts, especially those on busy roads, often with five or more access points. I believe that a high proportion of fatalities in the UK happens on roundabouts, with one notorious roundabout in London having three fatalities in as many years.

From my visits to the US, I cannot remember seeing any roundabouts. Do you have them? Although they are good at keeping busy motorised transport moving, they can be a nightmare for cyclists where you usually have to accelerate very quickly to enter, change lanes and exit.
Old 08-29-14, 12:32 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They have them - they call them "traffic circles", I believe - but they are as yet much less common than in the UK.

I agree they can be problematic. My only serious crash outside competition in the last ten years occurred when a car drove onto a roundabout when I was already in possession of the lane, hitting me and separating my shoulder. Worse, it totalled my nice 1984 Raleigh Royal!

I try to keep "changing lanes" to a minimum, but that has its own issues and can't always be done. Most are OK but the sort of major intersections you are talking about are inherently cyclist-unfriendly.
Old 08-29-14, 12:42 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
There are a few here in SoCal. Not many. In the one in my area, the only way to safely get through it is to enter it with a burst of speed, and keep up with vehicular traffic until exiting. Thankfully, it is only a two lane'r and normally has light traffic. Two of the four entrances/exits go to places without much of anything.
Old 08-29-14, 12:47 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Roundabouts are the stupidest thing ever conceived in the world of intersections. Okay, there are probably worse ideas, but roundabouts are up there.
Old 08-29-14, 01:45 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
Today I had a very near miss on my bike. Riding around a very busy roundabout with two lanes I was in the middle of the road, as I was going to leave the roundabout two exits later, when a builder's van cut across me from the right hand lane, turning left to leave at the exit I was just passing…

I have no problem generally when riding in traffic but the one aspect that seems to cause most problems is crossing roundabouts, especially those on busy roads, often with five or more access points….

From my visits to the US, I cannot remember seeing any roundabouts. Do you have them? Although they are good at keeping busy motorised transport moving, they can be a nightmare for cyclists where you usually have to accelerate very quickly to enter, change lanes and exit.
Here in Massachusetts they are frequent, and are called “rotaries.” I once learned that an acquaintance lived near a treacherous rotary involving on- and off-ramps to a freeway, and she asked me, “You ride on that devil rotary?.”

My strategy includes:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I use both left and right rearview mirrors, in my case Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted ones…The additional right hand mirror affords a pretty good rearward view, but is particularly useful:
  1. Riding on the left-hand side of a one-way street
  2. Riding in the middle or left lanes of a two-way thoroughfare
  3. In a rotary
Old 08-29-14, 02:14 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
We have some "traffic circles" here and I hate them.

Interestingly, the town removed one a few years back. That was great.
Old 08-29-14, 02:27 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Roundabouts are the stupidest thing ever conceived in the world of intersections. Okay, there are probably worse ideas, but roundabouts are up there.
They really aren't, you know. In most circumstances they are much better than traffic lights at regulating the flow of traffic. But the more complex ones do need to be engineered with cyclists in mind.
Old 08-29-14, 02:46 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts

I tend to take the opposite view. After using several hundred of them while on a 3 month tour through Europe, I found them the safest and easiest way to get through a busy intersection. There are many cities in Oregon that are starting to use them. They are efficient, safe, slow traffic speeds and are easy to use once you get the hang of them.

I had a little trouble trying to figure out how the driver in the OP was making a left turn from the circle until someone mentioned the UK. Traffic must flow in a clockwise direction. Regardless of flow direction, I still can't visualize how he cut you off, If you were in the center lane. Or maybe he was in the center of the left lane? The driver was just a jerk!

Last edited by Doug64; 08-29-14 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-29-14, 02:48 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
They really aren't, you know. In most circumstances they are much better than traffic lights at regulating the flow of traffic. But the more complex ones do need to be engineered with cyclists in mind.
Agree, they are much more efficient at getting cars thru an intersection then a light. Less pollution from idling cars as well.

In the US, few drivers have the driving skills to understand how to use them efficiently as the trick seemingly is to not come to a complete bloody stop to await every driver in view time to enter the intersection. The trick is to slow and merge. In the US, nobody gets this, a result of having so few circles.

Then of course, when you are on a bike, the drivers not in the intersection need to understand that they actually have to yield to a bike IN the intersection, which few drivers are willing to do, cyclists being of course, third world citizens not worthy of respect.

Rant over

SB
Old 08-29-14, 02:53 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,491 Times in 2,844 Posts
Incorrect.

1. They result in far few accidents than stop signs or traffic lights.
2. The accidents that do occur are much less likely to result in serious injury.
3. They move a lot more traffic than stop signs or traffic lights.

Reference: Traffic

Roundabouts have been showing up in the Boulder/Superior area, and I love them.
Old 08-29-14, 05:20 PM
Bob S

Bikes: Specialized Creo Comp Carbon DeSalvo Custom Ti

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts
The statistics show that RoundAbouts / Roateries etc. are much safer than our traditional stop signs by a large margin. Also they help reduce pollution and increase gas milage. What is not to like.

" the evidence that roundabouts safer than traditional signalized or signed intersections is overwhelming. The Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE), Federal Highway Administration and many state DOTs agree. If you're really into this, you can read the recent ITE here. A snapshot regarding previous research from around the world from that report:In 1992, a before-and-after study was conducted in the Netherlands of 181 roundabouts that were previously stop controlled or signalized intersections. They found that the number of accidents in a year dropped by 51% on an average and the injury accidents decreased by an average forty four percent.

A before-and-after study of 73 roundabouts in Australia conducted in the year 1981 showed a reduction of 74 percent in the casualty (i.e., fatality) accident rate and a 32 percent reduction in property damage accidents.
In 1996, 34 modern roundabouts in Germany were studied. This study found that the number of fatalities and severe injuries decreased from 18 to 2. The number of accidents with heavy property damage decreased from 24 to 3.
France studied about 83 roundabouts in the year 1986, and concluded that the transformation of regular intersections into roundabouts yielded significant safety benefits. While the fatalities reduced by 88 percent, the injuries fell by approximately 78 percent. Another study of 522 roundabouts in the year 1988 found that 90 percent of them had no injury accidents at all.
In Switzerland, two roundabouts built in 1977 and 1980 were studied for 4-8 years after they were converted as roundabouts from the conventional intersections. The findings of the study were that there were reductions of 75 percent in total accidents and 90 percent in the number of injuries.

and if you really want more
https://www.scribd.com/doc/174870895/ITE-A-Comparative-Evaluation-of-the-Safety-Performance-of-Roundabouts-and-Traditional-Intersection-Controls

Last edited by Bob S; 08-29-14 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-29-14, 08:40 PM
Cognitive

Bikes: Specialized Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Carmel, Indiana which has more roundabouts than any city in the USA. We are at 65-70 at least for a city with 80-85 thousand residents.

They do present some special challenges to road cyclists. And even more challenges to trail / bike path cyclists. But for the most part they work well.
Old 08-29-14, 09:34 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I drive a long-wheelbase vehicle for a living, and at least for the 'traffic-calming' circles, I either cheat on left turns or drive up and over.
Old 08-29-14, 09:49 PM
Dirt Road

Bikes: Cannondale T-2000 & SP-1000 (Silk Path hybrid)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never actually encountered a roundabout. There was a huge traffic circle in Columbus, GA that folks liked to pretend they were NASCAR in, but even that one was removed.
Old 08-30-14, 03:33 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
The nearest roundabout from here is about 35mi away.
Old 08-30-14, 04:48 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Our problem in the past was differing right of way laws in adjoining states. Do the people on the right have right of way or do the people already in the circle have right of way............. What a disaster. In some places within CT they are removing circles as fast as possible and replacing them with intersections and in others where the traffic patterns allow they are replacing intersections with roundabouts. Given the average training level of our drivers, the towing companies and the breakers are going to make a fortune.
Old 08-30-14, 06:01 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Our problem in the past was differing right of way laws in adjoining states. Do the people on the right have right of way or do the people already in the circle have right of way............. What a disaster. In some places within CT they are removing circles as fast as possible and replacing them with intersections and in others where the traffic patterns allow they are replacing intersections with roundabouts. Given the average training level of our drivers, the towing companies and the breakers are going to make a fortune.
All this sounds bizarre to a European, we're so used to them. The rule is simply that you give way to anything approaching from your left. Slow down as you approach, don't stop unless you have to, if there's room for you to enter the circle do, if not, wait until there is. Like other posters have mentioned, wherever the issue has been researched, roundabouts have cut the number and severity of collisions. But of course, this won't apply if nobody observes the rules.
Old 08-30-14, 06:18 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
All this sounds bizarre to a European, we're so used to them. The rule is simply that you give way to anything approaching from your left. Slow down as you approach, don't stop unless you have to, if there's room for you to enter the circle do, if not, wait until there is. Like other posters have mentioned, wherever the issue has been researched, roundabouts have cut the number and severity of collisions. But of course, this won't apply if nobody observes the rules.
We have a very busy intersection in the mountains leading from Interstate 70 to a nearby town of Frisco and another exit to a hiking trail. There usd to be a stop sign resulting in huge backups from the interstate, as this was also the exit from Frisco to the interstate in the opposite direction. Two stop sogns removed. In this case, a traffic circle WAS the answer - now you can go to the town with no backup or delay at all. There is a place for traffic circles, but they also removed one near me because it caused more congestion after the road was widened.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-30-14 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-30-14, 08:02 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Here in Massachusetts they are frequent, and are called “rotaries.” I once learned that an acquaintance lived near a treacherous rotary involving on- and off-ramps to a freeway, and she asked me, “You ride on that devil rotary?.”
For whatever reason that devil doesnt spook me.

Rutherford Ave rotary (and pretty much every approach to it) on the other hand. It sometimes feels like the Maine thing - "yah cahn't get theah from heah." Even Revere Beach Pkwy rotary is a piece of pie in comparison to riding through the town.

Ironically, the innocuous rotary on Medford Street/High Street was a close encounter moment. But that wasn't the rotary's fault....

-mr. bill
Old 08-30-14, 08:02 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Planners here have "gotten religion" about roundabouts and at least a dozen have been built within a few miles of my house. I've gotten accustomed to them now; the most important thing I've found is to "take the whole lane" when entering the roundabout to avoid being run off the road by an inattentive driver turning directly in your path.
Old 08-30-14, 10:30 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
One of the most thrilling experiences in my life has been negotiating roundabouts in Mexico City which can be thought of as dueling with taxis. After that, I can drive anywhere.
Old 08-30-14, 11:07 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Unfortunately America seems to be full of people who just force their way into a lane and make the current occupant take evasive action. That kind of behavior locks up a roundabout. And with car and lane battles going on, nobody pays attention to pedestrians or cyclists.

I'm pretty skeptical of the supposed accident "research." Stats from a few hundred new roundabouts versus a quarter million existing traffic-light'ed intersections --just begs for inaccuracies. And the same research says stop signs are also safer than traffic lights --potentially safer than roundabouts.

I'm not against roundabouts. But I don't think they belong at extremely busy intersections especially where there is a lot of pedestrian and bicycle traffic. And I'm not convinced they are anything but a way to slow down traffic at an intersection, --again at the expense of pedestrian and bicycle safety.
Old 08-30-14, 11:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
One replaced the T intersection where 202 meets US 101 on the west end of town .. traffic flow is better, now ..
& there are a couple cross walks to use if you dont want to follow the circle's 2 lanes to go from west to south bound
onto the SW shore of town, on Young's bay.
Old 08-30-14, 11:19 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg

I'm pretty skeptical of the supposed accident "research." Stats from a few hundred new roundabouts versus a quarter million existing traffic-light'ed intersections --just begs for inaccuracies. And the same research says stop signs are also safer than traffic lights --potentially safer than roundabouts.
Well, I hold no brief for the researchers. But my understanding is that in most cases they have compared accident rates pre- and post-roundabout at the same intersection, and found a substantial reduction.

I'm not against roundabouts. But I don't think they belong at extremely busy intersections especially where there is a lot of pedestrian and bicycle traffic. And I'm not convinced they are anything but a way to slow down traffic at an intersection, --again at the expense of pedestrian and bicycle safety.
There are certainly intersections at which the traffic flow in one direction is so intense that nobody coming from the intersection can access the roundabout. There's one close to my home, for example, which during the rush-hour uses lights to regulate the flow onto the roundabout, then has the lights turned off for most of the day. Works well. And speaking as a driver, my experience is that traffic flow is generally much improved when roundabouts are introduced, at ordinary densities the system becomes self-balancing in a way that lights can't really achieve.

However, I certainly agree with you (and with the OP) that they can be problematic for cyclists and pedestrians. Not much of a problem at ordinary intersections, but potentially difficult at the more complex end of the spectrum. Most of those problems could probably be engineered out with a bit of imagination and expense, but unfortunately that is seldom done - at least, it's seldom done here.
Old 08-30-14, 11:30 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
The UK has far more roundabouts than the USA because it's road grid is very different.

The network was relatively complete long before motor transport, and reflects the premium placed on connecting points by the shortest possible distance. US roads are sort of a grid of mostly north/south and east/west roads with simple crossroad intersections, and one must go up one road and down another to move diagonally. The UK's grid connects the diagonals so the horse doesn't walk as far. That means that the UK has a large number of intersections with 3 or more roads crossing, which of course weren't a problem for horses and pedestrians.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.