Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Alex, I'll take "Foods that don't have to be cooked"

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Alex, I'll take "Foods that don't have to be cooked"

Old 03-12-21, 10:45 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Fun fact: 12 oz. (340 g) of SPAM™ is packed in a recyclable can+lid that weighs 28 g.
This thread has potential!
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 03-12-21, 12:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-12-21, 12:23 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
I’m so surprised no-one has posted Monty Python ... that I won’t! 😄
Likes For imi:
Old 03-13-21, 03:45 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Go to the SPAM™ website: dozens of tasty hot and cold recipes, many adaptable for cycletouring.

Fun fact #1: SPAM™ officially is a portmanteau of "Spice" and "Ham". SPAM™ does not contain either ingredient!
Actually according to the SPAM webpage, the ingredients are pork with ham, salt, water, potato starch, and sodium nitrite, so yes, it contains ham.
Old 03-13-21, 03:51 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by phughes
Actually according to the SPAM webpage, the ingredients are pork with ham, salt, water, potato starch, and sodium nitrite, so yes, it contains ham.
But what parts of the pig? Coming from Scrapple land, I had to ask.😀
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-13-21, 03:56 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by indyfabz
But what parts of the pig? Coming from Scrapple land, I had to ask.😀
I believe that is a question best left unanswered.

I once did a show for a meat packing plant in South Carolina. After the show, in the bar, I was having a few beers with some of the workers, and one said of the pig, "We use every part but the oink."
Likes For phughes:
Old 03-13-21, 05:20 PM
indyfabz

I believe that is a question best left unanswered.

I once did a show for a meat packing plant in South Carolina. After the show, in the bar, I was having a few beers with some of the workers, and one said of the pig, "We use every part but the oink."
From one website:

“Let’s go right to the ingredients label of the late Josh Ozersky's favorite, Habbersett Scrapple (a Pennsylvania classic since 1863, though the company has been Wisconsin-owned since 1985): It features pork stock, pork, pork skins, cornmeal, wheat flour, pork hearts, pork livers, pork tongues, salt, and spices. "Spices" can include garlic, onion, and various dry seasonings; New York's Meat Hook butcher shop uses black and white pepper, clove, allspice, coriander, nutmeg, sage, marjoram, and chili powder.”

I grew up on Habbersett Scrapple. Believe it or not, we used to put butter on it after cooking it on the electric griddle my dad bought for my mom for her birthday, anniversary or something like that.

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-13-21 at 05:26 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-13-21, 06:05 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
SPAM™ is predominately pork shoulder. It's a tougher, less desirable cut, perfect for pressure cooking in the can.

Not trying to be argumentative - it's all good. To a pork guy, this is how it dresses out:

Old 03-13-21, 10:06 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by tcs
SPAM™ is predominately pork shoulder. It's a tougher, less desirable cut, perfect for pressure cooking in the can.

Not trying to be argumentative - it's all good. To a pork guy, this is how it dresses out:

I was just quoting their ingredients. They actually would be in a bit of trouble if they list an ingredient they don't actually use. And I am familiar with how they dress out. I just don't have access to the SPAM factory to watch as they make it. If you do, great. I just hate the little facts that are thrown around about different things, that are less than the truth. It drives me nuts.
Old 03-14-21, 09:54 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
I saw a microscopic image of a cut section of hot dog once. There were parts of lots of organs including muscle.
Old 03-15-21, 03:01 PM
phughes

On my last tour, I rediscovered Dinty Moore Beef Stew. I did heat it up, but it can be eaten straight form the can, not heated. It was actually great after a day in the bike. It was cheap too.
Old 03-15-21, 04:30 PM
indyfabz

On my last tour, I rediscovered Dinty Moore Beef Stew. I did heat it up, but it can be eaten straight form the can, not heated. It was actually great after a day in the bike. It was cheap too.
Does the top of the can still have the thumb print on it? Used to eat it after dad left and we were strapped for cash.

Wonder what Hamburger Helper Tartare would be like.

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-15-21 at 04:35 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-15-21, 07:27 PM
Kelly I

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
A convenience store meal that covers a number of bases (calories, protein, salt) - a jar of salsa, add a can of beans, eat with tortilla chips.

I've eaten a can of chili for dinner a few times, but not without feeling sorry for myself. Touring is when I get to indulge!
Old 03-15-21, 08:09 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Does the top of the can still have the thumb print on it? Used to eat it after dad left and we were strapped for cash.

Wonder what Hamburger Helper Tartare would be like.
I will await your review on that one.

I can't remember if the thumb print was still on it. It's been almost two years now, and probably didn't pay attention. Some nights I ate after dark.
Old 03-16-21, 03:02 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelly I
A convenience store meal that covers a number of bases (calories, protein, salt) - a jar of salsa, add a can of beans, eat with tortilla chips.
Similar to one of my favorite no cook meals when my wife or someone else is along to share is veggie tacos, can of refried beans, small jar of salsa, pack of soft tortillas, bag of finely shredded Cojack or Mexican cheese, and small bag of lettuce or Romaine hearts. Easy to keep for a couple days in a row without spoilage.
Likes For robow:
Old 03-16-21, 09:48 AM
Happy Feet

Not exactly on topic but speaking of refried beans...

A trick I learned on my bean challenge is how to make spicy black bean soup.
Take a can of spicy refried beans, add one can of water, heat over stove. The bean paste dissolved into a full bodied soup that tastes really good.
Place in fancy bowls and add some corn chips on the side and you will look like a gourmet chef!
Consider that a pro tip
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 03-16-21, 12:52 PM
Slasharoo

Bikes: Orbea Onyx, Surly Disc Trucker, Trek 850

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
does anyone have any thoughts on meal replacement drinks? I've heard the RAAM riders will cross the country drinking their meals...now, while RAAM racing is not exactly touring, ii is calorie replacement...
Old 03-16-21, 01:36 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by Slasharoo
does anyone have any thoughts on meal replacement drinks? I've heard the RAAM riders will cross the country drinking their meals...now, while RAAM racing is not exactly touring, ii is calorie replacement...
My experience so far with protein drinks is that the shaker is hard to clean without using lots of water. If that's not a problem it's worth a try. Try it at home first for the length of the trip to see how you do.

Google Soylent. It was a complete meal replacement drink popular a couple of years ago.
Old 03-16-21, 01:40 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Slasharoo
You asked for our thoughts, my thoughts below:

Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-16-21, 01:52 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Google Soylent. It was a complete meal replacement drink popular a couple of years ago.
"Get your hands off me you dirty ape"--oops, wrong film

"Damn you, damn you all to hell!"--oops, wrong film again, I'll get one of these days.......
Likes For djb:
Old 03-16-21, 01:55 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
There is a gentleman in our nearby community that has raced RAM at least twice and a good friend of mine has worked his support vehicle. This fellow definitely does not live on liquid meals. They make sure they have real food for him on his limited stops and according to my friend, when he does stop to eat and the occasional nap, he woofs down everything they have in the car that's possible, cold pizza, scraps of what they had for lunch, whatever he can to feed the machine.

Touring for me is all about enjoyment and limiting the "sacrifice" so no, I personally won't be living on " nutritional shakes" but taking advantage of the local cuisine.
I like the way Tourist in MSN thinks
Old 03-16-21, 01:57 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by djb
"Get your hands off me you dirty ape"--oops, wrong film

"Damn you, damn you all to hell!"--oops, wrong film again, I'll get one of these days.......
Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food.. You've got to tell them.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 03-16-21, 02:04 PM
Happy Feet

In the doc: Inspired to Ride, one rider - Mike Hammer tries to do it with a liquid diet. He came in second I think. His one complaint was the weight of the powder as he had to carry a supply with him between mail drops. The others just foraged from diners and gas stations as they rode.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 03-16-21, 03:11 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
In the doc: Inspired to Ride, one rider - Mike Hammer tries to do it with a liquid diet. He came in second I think. His one complaint was the weight of the powder as he had to carry a supply with him between mail drops. The others just foraged from diners and gas stations as they rode.
Yeah, I once tried to carry something like a meal replacement, not powder, but protein bars. It wasn't worth the weight, and room the took up, and powder would be worse, less enjoyment, and you still have the weight. I actually gave away at least half of the bars I had, I just wanted rid of them. It was much nicer picking up food along the way, less to carry during the day, and more enjoyable to eat. I do carry something to eat, just in case though, and on my last tour, which took me through a lot of Amish country, I would not see any place to get food, at all, until I was almost to my intended campground. I carried peanut butter, and flour tortillas, and often that was my lunch.
Old 03-16-21, 07:02 PM
Happy Feet

Yeah, I once tried to carry something like a meal replacement, not powder, but protein bars. It wasn't worth the weight, and room the took up, and powder would be worse, less enjoyment, and you still have the weight. I actually gave away at least half of the bars I had, I just wanted rid of them. It was much nicer picking up food along the way, less to carry during the day, and more enjoyable to eat. I do carry something to eat, just in case though, and on my last tour, which took me through a lot of Amish country, I would not see any place to get food, at all, until I was almost to my intended campground. I carried peanut butter, and flour tortillas, and often that was my lunch.
I think the value of easily prepared and calculated food supplies is inverse to the availability of stores or cafes along the route. If I'm riding a road with stores I carry one days worth of food, just in case it's a Sunday or holiday or something. For a week off the grid I'm more in the known quantity camp. Rather than buying individual packets of stuff I usually buy regular size and break it down.

Not exactly no cook but oatmeal, instant mashed potatoes, couscous, instant ramen type noodles with vegetables, and other dehydrated stuff only needs hot water to reinflate. Drinks are tea, instant coffee, hot apple cider crystals and hot chocolate. In a pinch it can even be cold water and a longer wait time. I put each serving (not the drinks) in a sandwich bag (good quality) and roll tight. This allows the most compact packing size with no wasted space and I can map out all the meals ahead of time. Bonus points for eating out of the sandwich baggie and never having to wash dishes other than the cup as hot water is the only thing in the pot.

Garlic mashed potatoes and lemon couscous for the win!

Likes For Happy Feet:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.