Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

58cm Zunow Z-1 Frameset or Complete w/ Superbe Pro

Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Old 04-08-21, 03:31 PM
Brewsmith 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1989 Centurion Ironman Expert, 1972 Motobecane Grand Jubilee

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 66 Posts

Sold

Try as I might to make this fit, it's just too small for me to ride regularly and it deserves a better home. Took me years to find one this big, so I am bummed to let it go.... I am willing to sell it as just the frame, fork, Dura Ace headset and Mavic bottom bracket for $850 plus actual shipping or $1250 for as pictured (minus the saddle) with a very complete Suntour Superbe Pro group including pedals, 36H hubs laced to Mavic rims (w/ Veloflex tires), brakes, levers, derraileurs and crankset.... The frame and group are in perfect working and very good aesthetic condition. I am happy to take more detailed pics etc. for interested parties.

Description from the previous owner before I built it: "Built by the master craftsman himself, Takeru Kageyama, this Zunow Z-1 has so many wonderful details that it makes other classic frames look downright plain. Some of these details include a biplane rear brake bridge, custom "Ditchex" frame tubing with a cable channel along the top-tube, "Pentagla" pentagon-shaped chainstays, and pantographs everywhere. The frameset is in nice, used condition. There are paint chips and scrapes, but no dings or dents. This frameset is begging to be built-up and ridden!"

Seat-tube: 58.5 cm c-c
Top-tube: 58 cm c-c
Head-tube: 17.5 cm
Steerer: 1 in

Please see pics HERE for details and reach out with any questions etc.

Last edited by Brewsmith; 05-31-21 at 10:54 PM.
Likes For Brewsmith:
Old 04-08-21, 05:21 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
Nice looking bike.
I have a Zunow and it is one of my fastest and nicest riding bikes.
GLWS.
Old 04-08-21, 05:35 PM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 129 Posts
Damn, too big for me. Otherwise, I'd be alllll over it
Old 04-12-21, 11:09 AM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
Very, very cool! A little small and definitely not in the cards for me at the moment, but might I inquire how wide a tire it might fit?
Old 04-12-21, 01:10 PM
Jbolt10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could you also share the stand over height pls?
Old 04-12-21, 10:38 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
Very, very cool! A little small and definitely not in the cards for me at the moment, but might I inquire how wide a tire it might fit?
Mine will only take a 28 in the rear and 32 up front.
Originally Posted by Jbolt10
Could you also share the stand over height pls?
Stand over is a variable, a 16mm tire could have a 20mm difference under a 32mm tire. Besides it is more the height of the frame from the center of the bottom bracket to the top or middle of the top tube that is how a bike fits you not whether you can stand over the bike when you are stopped
Old 04-12-21, 11:41 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
Thanks for the tire clearance info on your Zunow frame. I wonder how consistent that was from build to build, whether Kageyama kept that pretty much the same, or varied it somewhat over time, or depending on the customer.

As for standover height, it's still a very commonly quoted/notated spec, and any variability due to tire size is usually dealt with by specifying the tire size used when taking the measurement. There's definitely more to fit than just standover height, but knowing how much straddle room I'll have over a frame is definitely one of the things I look at before deciding if a frame might fit OK. If it's too tall to give me the standover clearance I want, it doesn't matter if the saddle height and bar reach are good. If it's too tall, it's not coming home. And with a horizontal top tube, like on this Zunow, if the standover is significantly lower my preferred range, that's usually a sign I won't be able to get the bars up high enough. So too low is also no go.

Where it gets complex for me is with sloping top tubes. Too tall is still too tall, but lower than normal may be just fine. That's when I have to start looking for stack and reach measurements/specs.

Originally Posted by bwilli88
Mine will only take a 28 in the rear and 32 up front.

Stand over is a variable, a 16mm tire could have a 20mm difference under a 32mm tire. Besides it is more the height of the frame from the center of the bottom bracket to the top or middle of the top tube that is how a bike fits you not whether you can stand over the bike when you are stopped
Old 04-16-21, 08:18 AM
Brewsmith 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1989 Centurion Ironman Expert, 1972 Motobecane Grand Jubilee

Price reduced, and I'll grab the standover today. It's currently wearing 28s which measure a tad narrow, but there is ample room front and rear. I think bwilli88's stats are correct for this frame as well as there is a bit more room at the fork
Old 05-24-21, 04:35 PM
gravelinmygears 

Bikes: 64 Cinelli, 81 Merz, Haral

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 69 Posts
PMd
Old 05-30-21, 02:47 PM
monkeytusmc 

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie SS, Colnago C40 B-Stay Mapei, 2013 Greg Lemond Commemorative TDF 90 (#55 of 100), 1992 Greg Lemond Team Z, Dario Pegoretti Marcelo "Why Not?", (2) x Zunow Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Is this available?
Old 05-30-21, 02:57 PM
gravelinmygears 

Bikes: 64 Cinelli, 81 Merz, Haral

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 69 Posts
?

I messaged about it last week. No response.
Old 05-30-21, 07:08 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelinmygears
I messaged about it last week. No response.
I've given up on this dude. Plenty of time to post stuff for sale, but apparently none to mark it sold or respond to emails.
Old 05-31-21, 10:57 PM
Brewsmith 

Sorry all, this sold locally a while back. I did miss the pm last week from gravel and don't routinely check on my old ads. Apologies for the confusion