Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Did BF just change all of the Web URLs for the Forums?

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Did BF just change all of the Web URLs for the Forums?

Old 07-04-21, 03:57 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobbiano
None of my shortcuts to any BF threads work anymore, since Friday afternoon. When I google, for example: show us your vintage touring bikes, the results don't work either. Neither does a bike forums search. Is there a solution to this?
Mmmm... What a mess.
Ok, so a Google Search brought up:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/1201694-colnago-titanio-bititan.html
New Format:
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling-41/colnago-titanio-bititan-1201694/

So, there are 3 changes that happened:
road-cycling-41 (added -41)
1201694 (thread number) moved to the end.
.html changed to a simple /

For multi-page documents:
Old Format:
https://www.bikeforums.net/politics-religion/1140457-just-headline-388.html
New Format:
https://www.bikeforums.net/politics-religion-250/just-headline-1140457/page392/

Ok, so the page number is appended to the end of the topic. In a sense the new format is more intuitive.

However, it has caused broken links and shortcuts everywhere, as well as broken web searches.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-04-21, 10:50 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 215 Posts
Chiming in to say I noticed my bookmarks to BF all broken the other evening, and as someone who works in IT, I understand these things happen. Usually a human-related oops.

That said, it's unlikely that the tech team was unaware of the issue before the weekend, and so should have fixed and/or rolled the change back. The distance between the mods and the actual tech support for the site is, um, a little worrisome.
Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 07-04-21, 11:18 AM
CliffordK

These seem to be some kind of virtual link to a database. It should be possible to program the system to recognize the old format and automatically convert to the new format.

Then after a few years, when the dust settles, one might consider abandoning the obsolete format (realizing the risk of breaking historic links).
Old 07-05-21, 04:51 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 755 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds
Chiming in to say I noticed my bookmarks to BF all broken the other evening, and as someone who works in IT, I understand these things happen. Usually a human-related oops.

That said, it's unlikely that the tech team was unaware of the issue before the weekend, and so should have fixed and/or rolled the change back. The distance between the mods and the actual tech support for the site is, um, a little worrisome.
I realize the two industries aren't similar, but when I worked in finance it was common to place moratoriums on updates in advance of holidays or major financial announcements. Even critical bug fixes required some approval. Still, applying an update before a long weekend (on a website which garners a large amount of traffic on weekends) seems ill-considered. If nothing else, the update procedure should include a couple spot checks before calling it good.
Old 07-05-21, 06:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Mmmm... What a mess.
Ok, so a Google Search brought up:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...o-bititan.html
New Format:
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...titan-1201694/

So, there are 3 changes that happened:
road-cycling-41 (added -41)
1201694 (thread number) moved to the end.
.html changed to a simple /

For multi-page documents:
Old Format:
https://www.bikeforums.net/politics-...dline-388.html
New Format:
https://www.bikeforums.net/politics-...40457/page392/

Ok, so the page number is appended to the end of the topic. In a sense the new format is more intuitive.

However, it has caused broken links and shortcuts everywhere, as well as broken web searches.
I think adding the number back to the forum name is the only change that's causing my problems. I suspect they did that by mistake.
Old 07-05-21, 07:57 AM
Wongway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Didn’t even realize this thread was here way down at the bottom of the pile of forums. Shouldn’t they have a post up top in one of the community connections forums?
Old 07-05-21, 09:42 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think adding the number back to the forum name is the only change that's causing my problems. I suspect they did that by mistake.
Scrambling the entire format of the URL (number after the subforum, number to the end of the topic, and change in page number format) is why people have reported that simply fixing the number after the subforum is inadequate to fix broken Google searches and hyperlinks to specific topics.

I do have a tendency to go to the address bar and type in say "mec" to bring up the mechanics subforum. That will eventually get better. And, I've figured out that I can:

Go to the address bar.. type in "mec" to get:
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/
append a dash: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics-
And, it properly pops up with the full address:
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics-10/

If one wants, one can delete the incorrect search options from Firefox.
Old 07-05-21, 10:03 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds
It's a long holiday weekend, it's not a tragic-emergency, it's a minor inconvenience, so no need to call up the National Guard.

There's a simple work-around . . . type in bikeforums.net and once you're in you can navigate wherever you want to go. Avoid old bookmarks and links you might have stored in your browsers, they ain't gonna work.

Seeya Tuesday!
Old 07-05-21, 10:11 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
I realize the two industries aren't similar, but when I worked in finance it was common to place moratoriums on updates in advance of holidays or major financial announcements. Even critical bug fixes required some approval. Still, applying an update before a long weekend (on a website which garners a large amount of traffic on weekends) seems ill-considered. If nothing else, the update procedure should include a couple spot checks before calling it good.
You're assuming there was an update immediately prior to this long holiday weekend. A non-essential update, at that. Well, they don't do such things without contacting the mod staff, and they're too savy to make ANY changes before ANY weekend. Thanks.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 07-05-21, 10:32 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Must be
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-05-21, 10:57 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 755 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
You're assuming there was an update immediately prior to this long holiday weekend. A non-essential update, at that. Well, they don't do such things without contacting the mod staff, and they're too savy to make ANY changes before ANY weekend. Thanks.
So they make breaking changes to the settings and nobody at Internet Brands checks in on the status of the system over the weekend? Something went wrong. Why was a breaking change of any kind (intentional, unintentional, software update, parameter change) necessary? It seems IB is a big enough company to have at least a skeleton crew on duty over the holiday weekend. (I count 54 "brands" featured on the IB website, BikeForums being one of them.)

I get it. This is a hobby website. It isn't my bank's website. Still, it is a website with a **** ton of external links buried in search engine databases, peoples' bookmarks, probably in any number of static web pages and other online forums. The search engine crawlers will adapt, and peoples' bookmarks can be updated manually (if somewhat painfully), but random static web pages and posts in other online forums (Classic Rendezvous, The Paceline, etc) will be broken indefinitely if the change isn't reverted.

Last edited by cb400bill; 07-05-21 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Please do not change the spelling of words to bypass the forum censor
Old 07-05-21, 11:45 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

The search engine crawlers will adapt, and peoples' bookmarks can be updated manually (if somewhat painfully), but random static web pages and posts in other online forums (Classic Rendezvous, The Paceline, etc) will be broken indefinitely if the change isn't reverted.
Maybe that's the first thing to be confirmed, whether or not in fact this change was intentional and they will revert; perhaps the oops was not telling the mods about it. One way or another there was an oops.
Old 07-05-21, 04:47 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Must be
Every little thing Bike Forums does is magic.
Old 07-05-21, 10:04 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2412 Post(s)
Liked 4,373 Times in 2,086 Posts
So they make breaking changes to the settings and nobody at Internet Brands checks in on the status of the system over the weekend? Something went wrong. Why was a breaking change of any kind (intentional, unintentional, software update, parameter change) necessary? It seems IB is a big enough company to have at least a skeleton crew on duty over the holiday weekend. (I count 54 "brands" featured on the IB website, BikeForums being one of them.)
You're assuming that IB doesn't subcontract its back-end team - that would definitely account for the delay.

Keep in mind that this might have been caused by a server or plugin auto-update pushed to the Vbulletin software automatically - and it just happened to break the regex used to generate the permalink URL structure.

-Kurt

Old 07-06-21, 09:56 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Hi guys, I'll see what's up. I believe it's an unintended side effect from a security update we did.

It seems IB is a big enough company to have at least a skeleton crew on duty over the holiday weekend.
"Profitable" is often the enemy of "big". We have a skeleton crew for the entire year. I'm currently the only Community Manager for Travel & Leisure.
Likes For IBJoel:
Old 07-06-21, 12:21 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Forum and thread permalinks are back to normal at the C&V!

Thank you!

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-06-21, 12:29 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,541 Times in 3,756 Posts
Forum may go on and off for a while as they are fixing stuff.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 07-06-21, 12:38 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by cudak888
Forum and thread permalinks are back to normal at the C&V!

Thank you!

-Kurt
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Forum may go on and off for a while as they are fixing stuff.
Thanks for the info.
I'm not sure what a 'permalink' is.. but one thing that's still a bit wonky -- if I go to the link shown circled in photo below, which is this adddress
bikeforums.net/forum-suggestions-user-assistance-160/ It doesn't work. I get an "invalid forum specified" web page.

Old 07-06-21, 12:41 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Thanks for the info.
I'm not sure what a 'permalink' is.. but one thing that's still a bit wonky -- if I go to the link shown circled in photo below, which is this adddress
bikeforums.net/forum-suggestions-user-assistance-160/ It doesn't work. I get an "invalid forum specified" web page.
Permalinks are basically fixed URLs applied to the dynamic pages that the forum software creates (which the forum software knows by their assigned numbers, e.g. C&V is "181," and Forum Suggestions & User Assistance is "160."

Might want to clear your cache in regards to that breadcrumb link. On my end, it's https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=160 which leads to the correct https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sug...er-assistance/ URL.

-Kurt

Old 07-06-21, 01:10 PM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
OK guys, this should be fixed now
Likes For IBJoel:
Old 07-06-21, 04:09 PM
robreau

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Whew. Much appreciated!
Old 07-06-21, 04:14 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by IBJoel
OK guys, this should be fixed now
Thank you.

I've posted double links over the last few days... just in case the new links all got broken.
Old 07-07-21, 05:23 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by cudak888
Permalinks are basically fixed URLs applied to the dynamic pages that the forum software creates (which the forum software knows by their assigned numbers, e.g. C&V is "181," and Forum Suggestions & User Assistance is "160."

Might want to clear your cache in regards to that breadcrumb link. On my end, it's https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=160 which leads to the correct https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sug...er-assistance/ URL.

-Kurt
I cleared my browser, still doesn't work for this forum. The first link you posted is the same for me, but redirects to the "-160" version of the forum. No issue in a couple other forums. However, also see similar happens in the bike mechanics forum. weird
Old 07-07-21, 08:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
I've had issues for the last three days with the hierarchy links at the top of the page to go back up to the sub-forum from a thread. However in every case, clearing my browser cache has solved it till the next day.

Not an ideal thing, but I'll be content to do that till it's all resolved.
Old 07-07-21, 10:14 AM
CliffordK

So far everything seems to be back to normal here (Win 10/Firefox).

Keep in mind that any page that was open over the weekend could have incorrect links, and needs to be closed.

If your browser auto-opens a bunch of cached pages, close them all and start fresh.

I rarely use BF on a mobile device, so perhaps one would cache pages differently.
Likes For CliffordK: