Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Anyone heard updates on Wahoo PM pedals?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-21, 11:36 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts

Wahoo, who bought Speedplay recently, promised pedal-based power meters last spring. It was March-April 2021 timeframe, and they actually sent some pre-production samples to DCRainmaker and others. There are YouTube videos and other online reviews on them. Then everything went silent regarding this product. Has anyone seen an update or a revised timeframe for the full release?
Old 08-23-21, 05:39 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Uninformed drivel warning: pedals are harder to make PMs out of in general and the economy is in a bad way including supply chains making random complements hard for some companies to get. I don't know anything specific about the Wahoo pedals, but a lot of things are delayed lately.

Assiomas and Vectors are both excellent. Since the Wahoo ones could hit the market tomorrow or next year for all anybody knows, I personally wouldn't wait if I was in the market for one.
Old 08-23-21, 08:59 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Assiomas and Vectors are both excellent. Since the Wahoo ones could hit the market tomorrow or next year for all anybody knows, I personally wouldn't wait if I was in the market for one.
That’s pretty much what I’ve concluded. I like my Speedplays, so the promise of PM in a similar pedal seemed… promising.

But a bird Keo in the hand on the crank is better than two a Speedplay in the bush future, as the old saying goes.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-24-21, 11:00 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Between taking down the Speedplay Museum and abruptly discontinuing support for several Speedplay pedals, Wahoo has some work to do if they want to make up for the goodwill they've lost so far...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-24-21, 11:03 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Broctoon
That’s pretty much what I’ve concluded. I like my Speedplays, so the promise of PM in a similar pedal seemed… promising.

But a bird Keo in the hand on the crank is better than two a Speedplay in the bush future, as the old saying goes.
I may be bitter. I waited more than a year for SPD power meter pedals before buying Vectors. Almost ten years later the SPD ones finally hit the market. 😂
Old 08-25-21, 09:12 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

I may be bitter. I waited more than a year for SPD power meter pedals before buying Vectors. Almost ten years later the SPD ones finally hit the market. 😂

Right? Nice that it's (finally) an option. But Garmin Rally is $1100... too rich for this guy.

The other option is the Assioma Duo-Shi. Bring your own pedal bodies to install on their PM spindles. But there are some drawbacks, namely increased Q factor and stack height. I think I'll just get the regular (Keo based) Assiomas.
Old 08-26-21, 10:05 AM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 41 Posts
Not this summer.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/08/...speedplay.html
Likes For cuevélo:
Old 08-26-21, 11:40 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by cuevélo
thx for the update.

that's a bummer. I was looking forward to it. All clipless pedals hurt my knees if riding for over an hour at high load but speed play was by far the easiest on my knees while clipped in.

I miss the assimo pedals I had but they just hurt too much.

Maybe I will buy a hard tail instead this year. lol
Old 08-26-21, 03:19 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
All clipless pedals hurt my knees if riding for over an hour at high load but speed play was by far the easiest on my knees while clipped in.

I miss the assimo pedals I had but they just hurt too much.

You're not giving me much hope. I have Speedplay zeros on one of my bikes (the one I use for long rides). I like them so much, I was really hoping to get some with power metering, since that's something that has caught my interest lately.

I use SPD-SLs on another bike, and have nothing against them, but I never ride them longer than an hour or so. I'm afraid on really long rides I might have knee issues with anything that doesn't offer the huge, zero resistance float of the Speedplays. This isn't paranoia rising from the hype some guys like to drum up... I've had minor to moderate knee problems for long time, I'm just not sure what's causing it.

Maybe the solution for me will be to get a PM crank arm. I like that I could get dual sided power in the pedals for about the same price as a single sided crank, and I'd really enjoy the ability to move the meters between two bikes--only possible with the pedals, as the bikes have completely different crank types.

Another solution would be to get the Assiomas, use them on shorter rides or any time I want a power-based workout, and put the old Speedplays back on for long rides.
Old 08-26-21, 06:44 PM
Seattle Forrest

Once you start down the power road you're not going to want to only have it on short rides.
Old 08-26-21, 08:45 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Once you start down the power road you're not going to want to only have it on short rides.
I believe you’re right. I’d probably also not be too happy with just one side, whether it’s in the crank or pedal. I’ve been thinking pretty hard on the Assioma Duo. $700 is an expense I can handle, I’m just hoping I won’t be disappointed with them in any way, having enjoyed both Speedplay and SPD-SL for their respective merits, while Look Keo seems a little inferior to both of these.
Old 08-26-21, 09:15 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by Broctoon
You're not giving me much hope. I have Speedplay zeros on one of my bikes (the one I use for long rides). I like them so much, I was really hoping to get some with power metering, since that's something that has caught my interest lately.

I use SPD-SLs on another bike, and have nothing against them, but I never ride them longer than an hour or so. I'm afraid on really long rides I might have knee issues with anything that doesn't offer the huge, zero resistance float of the Speedplays. This isn't paranoia rising from the hype some guys like to drum up... I've had minor to moderate knee problems for long time, I'm just not sure what's causing it.

Maybe the solution for me will be to get a PM crank arm. I like that I could get dual sided power in the pedals for about the same price as a single sided crank, and I'd really enjoy the ability to move the meters between two bikes--only possible with the pedals, as the bikes have completely different crank types.

Another solution would be to get the Assiomas, use them on shorter rides or any time I want a power-based workout, and put the old Speedplays back on for long rides.
My knees jacked up from motorcycle accident and my toes point out while I walk. So while riding a bike I am already doing something not natural/comfortable to me by pointing them straight.

I am sure the speed play pedals should be great for you. I like the speed plays the most by a long shot for being clipped in.
Old 11-06-21, 10:40 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Wahoo/Speedplay PM pedals should now be coming soon...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cyc...-could-gather/
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 11-06-21, 01:59 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
The design of the pedal platform itself is also exactly the same as the non-power pedals, meaning the Powrlink should, theoretically, be able to work one-sided for those who want to split the power pedals, pair them with a standard Speedplay Zero pedal, and get one-sided power measurement across a couple of bikes. It's not confirmed whether Wahoo will sell individual one-sided options.

I’d be very surprised were that true. I don’t think any pedal system does that currently, so it seems like a very odd thing to speculate about based merely on the “pedal platform itself” being the same as the standard Zero pedal. It’s my understanding that left and right sides have discreet ANT+ IDs, so I’m most curious as to how such a thing might be carried off.
Old 02-22-22, 02:04 PM
sean.hwy

Old 02-22-22, 02:13 PM
sean.hwy