Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Groupset tiers and diminishing returns

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Groupset tiers and diminishing returns

Old 09-15-21, 01:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What? Thats an absurd claim! Only a moron would even think such a thing! I would suggest you put yourself in message board timeout for such a wrong comment, but instead- lets now take the next 3 pages to argue over a simple opinion as if it is fact!

Resolved--swiss is better than cheddar on a cheeseburger.
Old 09-15-21, 02:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Interesting. you start out looking for something "objective" but before we get to the end, we find it's about what interests you. So I guess when you write "objective", you mean the opposite, "subjective".

(Some other guy on this thread would pull out his fancy "reducto ad absurdum" and tell you that you would care about weight if the difference were a million pounds, thereby concluding that you were not telling the truth about caring about weight. But that indeed would be absurd. The small difference in weight between DA and Ultegra doesn't matter to you. I have no interest in convincing you otherwise)

I have no idea what subjective benefits DA has that might interest you, so.I won't try.

Speaking personally and without regard for whether or not this impresses you or anybody else, I would simply point out that I was not buying a groupset, but rather a bike that came with a groupset. So the bike that came with DA had many other features that I sought, and in addition I was happy to be getting the the drive train that was light weight and had DI2 (available also with Ultegra, but not 105). The price differential between the DA bike with additional components that I wanted and the bikes with other groupsets and different sets of those other components was within a range that was not consequential to my decision.

I own 2 bikes with different vintage DA drive trains. I own 3 bikes with different vintage 105 drive trains (well, one of those is GRX 600, but that's approximately 105 level). I'm mostly happy with them all except for the oldest 105, which I think is 5600, and doesn't shift nearly as smoothly as, say, the mid-aged 105, which is 5800 and really pretty great. But the 5800 doesn't shift as smoothly as the 9150. Well, of course not, it's not electronic.

The DA bikes are much lighter than the others - both around 15 lbs. The specific weight of the drive trains isn't really how I think of it, but rather, it's the overall weight of the bikes. To make a light bike, you need to shave a little here, a little there. Each individual choice (this wheel vs. that wheel, this drive train vs. that) is small, but the accrued difference is larger.
This reminds me of the story that ends, "No, miss, we've already established that. At this point we're just negotiating on the price."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-15-21, 02:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I don't care which groupset is on it...I will always pick the red bike. And I don't mean SRAM Red.

You have found my weakness.
I pick red, except when I pick blue.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-15-21, 02:30 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I pick red, except when I pick blue.
For my first "good bike" purchase, a long time ago, I had it narrowed down to a red LeMond and a gray Giant. They were both just slightly above entry-level. The Giant somehow seemed more sophisticated and modern, with its aluminum frame, but the LeMond was RED - so I picked it. Only much later, as I learned about such things, did I realize what I had: a frame built of Reynolds 853 steel, with tremendous workmanship and a velvet-smooth ride. Many miles and many upgrades later, I still have that frame.
Old 09-15-21, 02:35 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 548 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Just thinking about building up a new road bike for next season. Money no object build but....

I'm really struggling to see any point in going for a top tier groupset i.e. DuraAce/Red Etap/Super Record. They just don't seem to offer any advantage remotely in proportion to their extra cost over second or even third tier groups.
Other than vanity and a few pointless gram savings, is there any point?
I cannot think of a single thing where the quality of an item and the price increase at the same rate. At the end of the day, everyone makes their own decision as to the value of a few grams or the prestige, or whatever other real or perceived advantage that they see in a top of the line part.
Old 09-15-21, 02:49 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,817 Times in 2,976 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I cannot think of a single thing where the quality of an item and the price increase at the same rate. At the end of the day, everyone makes their own decision as to the value of a few grams or the prestige, or whatever other real or perceived advantage that they see in a top of the line part.
Me neither. That’s why I used the term “diminishing returns” in the thread title. I was interested in the “whatever other advantages” part, but the thread was done and dusted pages ago in that respect.