Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Craigslist giveth: Newer Arriva comes home

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-17, 08:35 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I've owned my 86 Arriva since I bought it new back in the spring of 1986 but it hadn't been ridden for a few decades. This September I pulled it out of the shed after my GF saw it and said we should try riding it. We loved riding tandem for the very beginning, ripped off a 20 miler with ease. She was disappointed I needed to turn around after 10 miles because my hands were going numb on those old bars and slammed stem. I installed a quill extender, shorter stem and wider/shallower bars with a set of Cane Creek brake levers. We started riding it on all of our rides and really enjoy the ease of conversation and staying together. We rode ~2000 miles on our half bikes since May but the tandem was a revelation. We haven't ridden half bikes together since the first tandem ride, put about 500 miles so far.

Long story short, after 500 miles that old 6 speed freewheel and half step gearing sucks. Double shift with chainrings lacking any ramps and 6 speed spacing takes getting used to after ramped-up 9 speed cassettes and chainrings. Also I find bar cons are a distraction at the most inconvenient times. Modern brifters are a safety upgrade esp since I'm responsible for my stroker's safety too. Making a bunch of upgrades to my old Arriva was pricing out close to a newer used tandem...Not to mention the lighter weight of the newer Arriva compared to my 1986 model.

On yesterday's Craigslist I found a Santana Arriva listed for $180. Huh? Right size, 8 speed freehub with brifters. I contact the seller, he responds, "When are you coming by to pick it up?" I respond I can be there in ~30 mins, he responds with his address, it's a nice area with a $350k~$450k houses. Screw it, I tell him I'm on my way. I get there, he's waiting. I check it out, some dings in the top tubes, just cosmetic. I ride it, it's straight and everything works. He says it's gotta go, he paid $500 for it last spring and needs the garage space this winter. Last weekend over 12 calls but nobody came to buy it, he bombed the price so his wife could get her car in the garage before it snows. Makes sense to me, I pay. As I mount it to my Sidewinder he says that's another reason they're selling, he needs to borrow his Dad's pickup to use it. They don't want to buy a $600 rack for a $500 bike, she would rather have a $600 single bike.

So all the stars aligned, here's the newer Arriva. Any idea of the year?:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Santana 11.jpg (166.2 KB, 182 views)
Likes For Mr IGH:
Old 11-02-17, 11:10 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
That is a great story and looks to be a nice bike! have fun and see what's in store for you in the coming year. We ride most of our mike on the tandem now.
Old 11-02-17, 12:40 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
You could be arrested for stealing that bike for $180.
Old 11-02-17, 01:11 PM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Congrats and enjoy.
Old 11-02-17, 07:32 PM
WPH

Bikes: 2015 Apollo Syncro tandem, 2006 Scott CR1 SL (still a beastie race bike), 1993 Trek T200, 2006 Fuji Absolute Le, 2000 Thorn Club Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH

So all the stars aligned, here's the newer Arriva. Any idea of the year?:
Sensational! Can you post a picture of the old Santana too? Also, what are the weights of the two bikes?

Happy riding!

W
Old 11-02-17, 10:06 PM
Chancy

Bikes: S&S Santana Beyond & S&S Santana Arriva. Trek Domane 3.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
If you want to know the year, get the serial number (underside of captain's BB shell) and call Santana. They'll tell you. My guess would be a 1998 model.

Tailwinds,
Charlie
Old 11-03-17, 08:37 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Here's "Big Red". It took a day for us to realize it but it's days are numbered. Out with the old, in with the new. I'm going to sell the Arai drum brake separately and put all the old Santana bars/stem/levers on it and sell it for $400 locally. If I can get $150 for the Arai on ebay it'll cover the new tandem with some upgrades....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Santana 12.jpg (222.3 KB, 148 views)
Old 11-03-17, 06:38 PM
chrmynster

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey,

If I were you, I would strongly reconsider selling the arai drum brake, depending on what kind of upgrades you are looking at. I have a different kind of tandem from most people (rohloff/magura hs 33s/some sturmey Archer front wheel drum brake), and I would seriously think about getting a drum brake that actually works. Based on my pretty limited experience, it's difficult to have too much braking power on a tandem, especially if you could ever imagine yourselves riding a few switchbacks and not walking down the hill.
Old 11-03-17, 06:59 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by chrmynster
Hey,

If I were you, I would strongly reconsider selling the arai drum brake, depending on what kind of upgrades you are looking at. I have a different kind of tandem from most people (rohloff/magura hs 33s/some sturmey Archer front wheel drum brake), and I would seriously think about getting a drum brake that actually works. Based on my pretty limited experience, it's difficult to have too much braking power on a tandem, especially if you could ever imagine yourselves riding a few switchbacks and not walking down the hill.
Pic of new bike shows already may have an Arai - looks quite similar to what is on the old bike. Third brake of some sort.
Old 11-03-17, 09:02 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
8-speed and V brakes puts it squarely in the Y2K timeframe. What a deal! I held out a long time to get a tandem with V-brakes and a freehub, and it still cost me $500 plus some alterations. There were a hundred Suntour freewheel / 27" wheel bikes dying on the vine for nearly $1000.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 11-03-17 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-04-17, 07:30 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chrmynster
If I were you, I would strongly reconsider selling the arai drum brake, depending on what kind of upgrades you are looking at.....
Both tandems have Arai drums. I'm going to remove the Arai from the older red Arriva and sell it separately, should make ~$150. Then put the original Cinelli bars and Modolo levers back on the red Arriva and price it at $400 without rear Arai drum. The bars and stem belong to another bike that I need to sell. I switched the rims on the red Arriva to 700C and everything works well, someone will buy it for $400. Blue Arriva keeps its Arai, GF refuses to ride any mountain passes without working Arai, stroker is ALWAYS right.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
...There were a hundred Suntour freewheel / 27" wheel bikes dying on the vine for nearly $1000.
There are lots of dreamers out there. I was planning on dumping ~$600 in the red Arriva to get it freehub'ed, brifter'ed and proper bars/stem/saddles instead of trying for newer at $800~$1000...before this one came along

Last night we stripped the blue Arriva down to the bare frame, we're doing a complete overhaul, new cables/housing etc. Headset is dead I'm going to roll out the top tubes' dents next. Today we're off to the Denver bike swap with a list, it's a tandem treasure hunt! What a fun project winter project for a tandem team. I haven't explained to her how I'm making new wheels and selling the old ones yet. She needs to learn about my bike addiction slowly!

Last edited by Mr IGH; 11-04-17 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-04-17, 02:19 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
They're generally nice frames - US-made, double butted, fillet brazed. It does seem like you could find a way to update a lot of them in a sort of assembly line fashion.

I don't have any data or confirmation but it seems like the entry of Trek and Cannondale to the tandem market sent a body blow to Santana and Burley, right around the time SIS came to dominance.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-04-17, 09:07 PM
merzcm

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What are the hubs and rims ? I have a 95 that is 8 speed with Edco hubs and Araya rims.
Old 11-05-17, 10:17 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by merzcm
What are the hubs and rims ? I have a 95 that is 8 speed with Edco hubs and Araya rims.
40 hole, Hadley hubs, Mavic 219 rims, Wheelsmith spokes and stickers (built by Wheelsmith).
Old 11-05-17, 07:25 PM
merzcm

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think your bike is probably 1998 - Santana could tell you for sure

'98 Santana Road Tandem Specs.
Old 11-06-17, 03:19 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by merzcm
I think your bike is probably 1998 - Santana could tell you for sure

'98 Santana Road Tandem Specs.
It is exactly the 1998 Arriva spec with optional Arai brake. Thanks!
Old 11-06-17, 10:33 AM
oldacura

Bikes: 1998 Co-Motion Co-Pilot, 2015 Calfee Tetra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Looks like a smokin' deal!
Old 09-26-21, 06:01 AM
foldup

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am looking at a 1998 Arriva, any insights on maximum tire width? Our Co-Motion will take a 32 rear and 28 front, we would like something for rifing more dirt roads, 35-38. Thoughts?
thanks!