Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Just starting again at 51, love it!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Just starting again at 51, love it!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-19, 10:29 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
There is a difference between what you can do, and what is best for you. Your body grows and recovers when its at rest. What opportunity does that have to happen when you're training every day? That was a lesson I learn some time ago and have been better of for it. My suggestion was given with that intentions in mind, but in the end, its your body. Do what you think is best.
Old 08-25-19, 11:26 AM
CyclingBK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
There is a difference between what you can do, and what is best for you. Your body grows and recovers when its at rest. What opportunity does that have to happen when you're training every day? That was a lesson I learn some time ago and have been better of for it. My suggestion was given with that intentions in mind, but in the end, its your body. Do what you think is best.
Your post is much appreciated. I’m not really training as hard/long as you may think I am. I’m just getting some exercise, not going out to “crush it” every day.

Two things,

First, as far as weight training goes, I’m very familiar with the recovery and diet requirements that enable muscle growth. I’m not training for an hour and hitting 25 sets of heavy/compound moves. I’m just doing around 10 sets over 25-30 minutes. And I’m hitting each muscle group once a week (3 days).

Cycling, I’m still in the early stage so I’m still feeling it out. So far, I have been able to do 3 days a week, increase my time and intensity on the bike each week or so, but I’m very weary of over doing it and am happy to take it slow.

This week, I did a ride on Monday, lifted for back on Tues, Legs on Wed, rested Thurs, did Chest on Friday and have had a couple of good rides and Saturday and this morning.

I agree that the key is to listen to your body and let it tell you when it’s time to rest.

Last edited by CyclingBK; 08-25-19 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-25-19, 12:08 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
OP...you are doing great. Congrats. More people should be like you.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 08-30-19, 10:14 AM
CyclingBK

It’s been about a month and so I thought I’d share a couple of observations with the understanding pretty much everyone here is very experienced but just in case someone else new like me find them helpful.

First, tire pressure matters! My tires say 50 min and 85 max. Genius that I am I never really checked it, (although the guys in the bike store who seemed to give it a thorough check said it was fine but I don’t think they actually checked ) didn’t get a pressure gauge and my pump doesn’t have one either. it just felt fine so I’ve been riding for about a month with the pressure that came in the tires. I got it in my head to check it last week bought a pressure gauge and lo and behold both tires were at 40! I pumped them up with the rear tire at 75 and the front tire on 68 and I feel like it made a very noticeable difference in my ride and speed.

Second, another topic I’m sure it’s been covered but it has to do with how I was sitting in the seat. About halfway through the ride last week, I noticed a numbness in ,how shall we put this, a certain area and it totally freaked me out! I was sitting too far forward so I now sit back and high in the seat so the pressure is on my sit points and the problem seems to be solved.

Otherwise the experience has been amazing, I’m enjoying the big strides you make when you just get started and it’s very encouraging!

Last edited by CyclingBK; 08-30-19 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 07:20 PM
rudypyatt

Bikes: Windsor TimeLine; Linus Gaston 3; Sears Free Spirit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 46 Posts
Go get ‘em! I just started back to riding over the past month. I know that hill in Prospect Park very well from when I was an avid rider a few years ago. Of course it isn’t the Ozarks or the Sierras, but it’s a deceptively difficult climb. I have not taken it on again, yet; but being that this is a three day weekend, I figure I need to take a crack at it by Monday.

Ride safe, and keep riding!
Likes For rudypyatt:
Old 08-31-19, 09:59 AM
CyclingBK

Originally Posted by rudypyatt
Go get ‘em! I just started back to riding over the past month. I know that hill in Prospect Park very well from when I was an avid rider a few years ago. Of course it isn’t the Ozarks or the Sierras, but it’s a deceptively difficult climb. I have not taken it on again, yet; but being that this is a three day weekend, I figure I need to take a crack at it by Monday.

Ride safe, and keep riding!
Nice, congrats, and thanks. Actually just got back from the park. I’m going to take a day off the bike but be back out there Monday myself.

Im up to 3 laps and can now take the hill in the *3rd easiest gear and at least I’m not getting passed by joggers anymore, lol.

So, hit my first goal of getting to 10 miles and keeping a pretty sustained effort through the ride. Then I try to really push on the last half of that last lap. I got to earn that big sandwich I like to eat after my ride, right? ; )

Last edited by CyclingBK; 08-31-19 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-08-19, 10:41 PM
CyclingBK

Follow up post on getting situated properly on the bike.

I bought the right bike size for my height and adjusted the seat according to the recommendations I have seen. As I’ve been riding more and harder, I was getting some discomfort in the saddle and was trying to sit back farther to try to make the best sit point contact and avoid discomfort. Then, after a great ride, the next day I noticed my lower hamstrings were sore. I think sitting back in the saddle was making my legs extend too much.

So, I moved the seat forward an inch and it made a good difference, feels much better. Also, I don’t feel like I’m reaching to much on the bars. I had felt like I was having to reach just a hair much and now I’m in a really good position.

I am still in the early love affair stage with riding and it’s really great ; )
Old 09-28-19, 09:36 AM
CyclingBK

Newest developments,

First, totally hooked, watching cycling vids on YouTube ; )
Have raised the seat another inch, thought my knee was a tad too bent at bottom of pedal stroke, seems better.
Rode for the first time at night. There are no cars on the loop I ride, was cool, was surprised some people with no lights going pretty fast. But nearly all had lights.
And, very happy I rode 13.5 miles with an average speed of 14.8 miles per hour.
Now, I gonna eat big! Lol

Last edited by CyclingBK; 09-28-19 at 10:04 AM.
Likes For CyclingBK:
Old 11-02-19, 03:22 PM
CyclingBK

So, it’s about 3 months in and....still lovin it!

Ive moved up to 17 miles. I tend to move up my mileage in 3.3 mile increments since that’s the length on a lap on the Prospect Park loop.

I’m averaging 14mph and definitely feel I’m pushing more power and gaining more wind. That hill is still a chore but it’s great for training. It’s getting down into the high 40s so I bought some light gloves and wore sweatpants for the first time today. Seemed perfect.

Appreciate this thread and all the great stories and info!

I’m going to keep pushing hard on 17 miles for a few weeks and then try my first 20.
Likes For CyclingBK:
Old 11-03-19, 09:53 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I started again at 50. It's really slow going at first, but one picks up steam with the accumulation of miles. Won't be long and like you say, you can ride anywhere you want. Anywhere.
Old 11-04-19, 08:03 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Congratulations. Glad you found riding and very happy for you that you are continuing to enjoy yourself.
Frank.
Likes For Helderberg:
Old 11-09-19, 01:38 PM
CyclingBK

Thank you, Frank and carbonfiber for the encouragement!

I was going to put this on the winter is upon us thread but figured I’d put it here since this is a diary of sorts I suppose, lol.

It was about 38° for my ride this morning, probably 10° colder than my previous coldest. Wind about 9mph.

I still have no real cycling clothes so I wore some snug sweats with elastic at the ankle, a T-shirt, a long sleeve light thermal shirt and a very light sweatshirt. Also, these light gloves, I’m including the link because they were perfect. At least for the 1.5 hours I was riding. But I can see how any colder/longer, might need something heavier.

https://www.amazon.com/VBG-VBIGER-An.../dp/B07YKWTXG8

I didn’t wear a hat or headband but definitely will get a headband. At first, my ears got cold but as I warmed up, they were ok.

Great ride! Overall, the gear was warm enough but I will modify it a little. I’m thinking with something for my face, I should be able to ride at least into the lower 30s or so. Which is a relief because I’d like to ride as much as possible this winter ; )
Old 11-09-19, 03:40 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,028 Times in 4,469 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingBK
Thank you, Frank and carbonfiber for the encouragement!

I was going to put this on the winter is upon us thread but figured I’d put it here since this is a diary of sorts I suppose, lol.

It was about 38° for my ride this morning, probably 10° colder than my previous coldest. Wind about 9mph.

I still have no real cycling clothes so I wore some snug sweats with elastic at the ankle, a T-shirt, a long sleeve light thermal shirt and a very light sweatshirt. Also, these light gloves, I’m including the link because they were perfect. At least for the 1.5 hours I was riding. But I can see how any colder/longer, might need something heavier.

https://www.amazon.com/VBG-VBIGER-An.../dp/B07YKWTXG8

I didn’t wear a hat or headband but definitely will get a headband. At first, my ears got cold but as I warmed up, they were ok.

Great ride! Overall, the gear was warm enough but I will modify it a little. I’m thinking with something for my face, I should be able to ride at least into the lower 30s or so. Which is a relief because I’d like to ride as much as possible this winter ; )
The good thing about technical fabric is moisture management. I like a light baselayer under a light winter jersey and a Windstopper vest on top. I can sweat a lot on any ride and could never wear cotton against my skin if I was sweating. Another thing about cycling jerseys is the rear pockets allow you to take off layers or carry extra layers. A nice bag would also work, or even a backpack.
I also use a cycling hat made for cold, keeps my ears warm and I love to have it on in cold wind.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-09-19, 05:35 PM
CyclingBK

Originally Posted by big john
The good thing about technical fabric is moisture management. I like a light baselayer under a light winter jersey and a Windstopper vest on top. I can sweat a lot on any ride and could never wear cotton against my skin if I was sweating. Another thing about cycling jerseys is the rear pockets allow you to take off layers or carry extra layers. A nice bag would also work, or even a backpack.
I also use a cycling hat made for cold, keeps my ears warm and I love to have it on in cold wind.
Yes, I need proper gear. The cotton stuff was ok while riding but once I stopped and got off to take a breather and drink, really felt the dampness and it magnified the cold weather.
Likes For CyclingBK:
Old 11-12-19, 07:03 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Welcome to Prospect Park! I'm a long time park cyclist, having grown up living on Ocean Avenue between Parkside and Lincoln across from the skating rink. The park is still my default ride if I don't have the time or inclination to go further. 3 quick laps and you've got a workout in and you never have to touch the brakes. The hill in the park is 3.5% most of the way up, but at the end it gets ever so slightly steeper so it feels even harder. Usually I push it until I see the first sign on the right at the top and let up. It doesn't fully level until all the way to GAP. My goal in the park is always to do 20mph laps, which is hard even if you can maintain 20 on the flats because you'll be slower on the uphill and it is somewhat hard to make up for it on the downhill because you need to be watching. I only blast down the hill early in the morning, otherwise I coast it. Fuggedaboudit on a nice weekend day, just relax and take it easy.

I guess I'm not going to be there today, it's been raining. If you see an older guy on a black Kuota road bike that'll be me, you don't see any other Kuotas there. I also sometimes will be riding a white Trek 8000 MTB if I'm looking for a more casual ride.

As for clothes, if you aren't somewhat cold when you start you'll be too warm once you get going. I'm usually OK after I've done the hill the first time. Get some real cycling shorts as that'll help your problem, and I like the Champion brand tech clothing from Target as an inexpensive base layer. I also usually wear a cycling jersey, short or long sleeve over it, as I always need pockets for something, and my Pearl Izumi windbreaker jacket over that. And rather than sweats, wear cycling shorts and lycra leg warmers.

And if you ever want to do a 50 mile Tour de Brooklyn let me know. I have a route that squeezes 50 in without doubling up anywhere just to add miles (except Erie Basin in Red Hook since there is only one street out and back). It is easy riding when on street and I only push it a bit on the Belt Parkway.

Brooklyn Bike Loop
Likes For zacster:
Old 11-12-19, 06:00 PM
CyclingBK

Originally Posted by zacster
Welcome to Prospect Park! I'm a long time park cyclist, having grown up living on Ocean Avenue between Parkside and Lincoln across from the skating rink. The park is still my default ride if I don't have the time or inclination to go further. 3 quick laps and you've got a workout in and you never have to touch the brakes. The hill in the park is 3.5% most of the way up, but at the end it gets ever so slightly steeper so it feels even harder. Usually I push it until I see the first sign on the right at the top and let up. It doesn't fully level until all the way to GAP. My goal in the park is always to do 20mph laps, which is hard even if you can maintain 20 on the flats because you'll be slower on the uphill and it is somewhat hard to make up for it on the downhill because you need to be watching. I only blast down the hill early in the morning, otherwise I coast it. Fuggedaboudit on a nice weekend day, just relax and take it easy.

I guess I'm not going to be there today, it's been raining. If you see an older guy on a black Kuota road bike that'll be me, you don't see any other Kuotas there. I also sometimes will be riding a white Trek 8000 MTB if I'm looking for a more casual ride.

As for clothes, if you aren't somewhat cold when you start you'll be too warm once you get going. I'm usually OK after I've done the hill the first time. Get some real cycling shorts as that'll help your problem, and I like the Champion brand tech clothing from Target as an inexpensive base layer. I also usually wear a cycling jersey, short or long sleeve over it, as I always need pockets for something, and my Pearl Izumi windbreaker jacket over that. And rather than sweats, wear cycling shorts and lycra leg warmers.

And if you ever want to do a 50 mile Tour de Brooklyn let me know. I have a route that squeezes 50 in without doubling up anywhere just to add miles (except Erie Basin in Red Hook since there is only one street out and back). It is easy riding when on street and I only push it a bit on the Belt Parkway.

Brooklyn Bike Loop
Thanks, zacster! Very much appreciate the knowledge and advice, I’ll be on the lookout for ya. I’m on a matte blue/gray REI hybrid. I got a ways to go before taking on a 50 but hope to get there by the time spring rolls around and look forward to taking you up on the invite.
Old 11-17-19, 01:44 PM
CyclingBK

Now this was a real taste of a winter ride today. Even though last week was high 30s, same as today, there was no sun today and pretty sustained winds and some gusts.

The wind somehow always seemed to be in my face, lol, and man, it just shuts you down and makes it much harder.
It took a good 7-8 minutes longer for my ride, around 15 miles.

As far as clothes, I still have no real cycling gear (my fault, really need to get some) so I wore a T-shirt, light thermal, light sweatshirt, and windbreaker. I can definitely ditch one layer, got hot and had to unzip the windbreaker. Also, got a headband/ earmuff thing that was great.Light gloves still seem fine.
I wore pretty thick socks and leather/suede sneakers and noticed my toes got very cold. Gotta wear thicker socks I guess. Or, maybe some boots that are good for cycling.

Overall, great ride, learning. Can definitely see how as it gets down to low 30s, especially if it’s windy, the right gear is key and you gotta be motivated to get out there.

Oh, almost forgot to mention, after my ride last Saturday, I had a big dehydration situation. I didn’t realize it until the next day, I felt very sluggish and weak. By 2pm I still felt way off and wasn’t sure why. I wasn’t feeling that thirsty but I started drinking water, more, more, more. I calculated I drank about a gallon of water, literally. It took all day to start feeling better and even part of the next day.

learned a very good lesson there.

Last edited by CyclingBK; 11-17-19 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-07-19, 01:13 PM
CyclingBK

Lol, another lesson learned today.

Dont go cycling the day after “squat day”. Could barely do 10 miles and my legs were dead especially on hills. I usually rest for 2 days after leg day.

But, I continue to get a good feel for the right clothes in winter. Today was about 37*, little wind, and I was perfect with a pair of snug sweatpants, t-shirt, long sleeve light thermal, and windbreaker. Maybe even ditch the t-shirt next time. Light gloves, light headband that covers ears.

Last edited by CyclingBK; 12-07-19 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-10-19, 02:57 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingBK
Lol, another lesson learned today.

Dont go cycling the day after “squat day”. Could barely do 10 miles and my legs were dead especially on hills. I usually rest for 2 days after leg day.

But, I continue to get a good feel for the right clothes in winter. Today was about 37*, little wind, and I was perfect with a pair of snug sweatpants, t-shirt, long sleeve light thermal, and windbreaker. Maybe even ditch the t-shirt next time. Light gloves, light headband that covers ears.
LOL I think cycling after a squats day would be good, but not as a workout bike ride. The idea would be to spin nice and easy, and keep it short. If done right, it should aid in recovery.
Old 12-10-19, 07:47 PM
CyclingBK

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
LOL I think cycling after a squats day would be good, but not as a workout bike ride. The idea would be to spin nice and easy, and keep it short. If done right, it should aid in recovery.
Well, I tend to go on the heavy side on squat/deadlift day. 5 sets of each with enough weight to only do 8-12 reps to failure. I get DOMS for 2 days but gave it a shot to cycle day after.....no go; )

I’ll need to keep the original schedule so I can get 2 days rest.
Old 12-23-19, 04:46 PM
CyclingBK

Was in the high 40s and got 2 nice rides in last 2 days! Didn’t even need anything but a single layer.

Who says there’s no nature in NYC ; )

Old 12-29-19, 12:23 PM
CyclingBK

Finally did my first 20 miles at the Prospect Park bike loop ; )

I just got my bike and into cycling in August and had been working towards it but then some cold weather hit and I haven’t been riding much the past month.

But, we have had some “warmer” weather the past week so....after a couple of shorter rides early in the week, I thought I’d give it a shot.

Paced myself well and tried to warm up for a bit, cycle harder in the middle, and ease up a bit at the end.

Took me an hour and 37 minutes. Was probably 1.5 miles an hour slower than usual but that dang hill still gets me every lap.

Great ride and very happy overall with the progress!
Old 12-30-19, 04:54 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I was in there on Saturday and did a few laps. I never did quite warm up. Yesterday I rode indoors instead. There was a day last week where it was warm enough to do a long ride but I waited too long. I had to cut the ride short due to darkness as I didn't have lights with me.
Old 01-05-20, 04:01 PM
CyclingBK

Originally Posted by zacster
I was in there on Saturday and did a few laps. I never did quite warm up. Yesterday I rode indoors instead. There was a day last week where it was warm enough to do a long ride but I waited too long. I had to cut the ride short due to darkness as I didn't have lights with me.
Happy New Year zac and all! I managed to get a New Year’s Day ride in, only 14 miles but was good. Now it’s cold and windy again.

Did my first bike cleaning ; ) Well, just superficial. I got a cheap bike stand on Amazon, link below, I like it for 40 bucks for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/ZENY-Adjustab.../dp/B077KSFLDQ

I basically just wiped the bike down, wasn’t too dirty, just a little grit and sand. I also ran the chain through a rag to get all the grime off and applied some lube.
I didn’t do a degrease. Been reading all the opinions on chain lubing. Degrease? Just wipe down and lube? It wasn’t that noisy or dirty so I figured I’d just try this way for now.
Old 01-12-20, 01:34 PM
CyclingBK

We’re having a heatwave in NY, like 67 degrees past 2 days!

Today was great, first day I’ve really felt like I was doing something resembling....cycling, lol. My effort was consistent, legs felt like they could keep pumping smoothly, breathing/wind has improved, used the gears effectively, cadence wasn’t all over the place ,and I feel just “good on the bike” if that makes sense.

Minor saddle height/position adjustments and getting proper cycling shorts helped a lot!

Now, looks like snow next weekend, doh! Don’t know what to do. They actually have a couple of these stationary bikes at the gym that are pretty new and much more like riding a bike than the other ones. Guess I’ll try to keep my cycling legs in shape best I can.

Heres the bike I mentioned, if you see one of these in your gym they’re pretty good...

Last edited by CyclingBK; 01-12-20 at 02:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.