Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Powersports and Ebikes

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Powersports and Ebikes

Old 12-04-20, 03:27 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
And yet Bafang is the worlds largest manufacturer of electric bike motors.

Go figure.
McDonald's sells the most burgers but how good are they?
Old 12-04-20, 03:29 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by trailangel
Hmmmm. Neighbor has a high end Bulls eMTB with Brose motor. Motor crapped the bed at 600 miles. Maybe they have fixed this issue.
Mid drive for eMTB, but I don't see anything wrong with a rear hub motor for light trail/street use... beside the weight making the bike ride hard.
brose has had some issues. they are the new boys on the block. but they usually stand behind their stuff. I debated on a brose on my bulls but got the bosch. it worked out well as our tandem has a bosch motor and I can share batteries.
Old 12-04-20, 03:31 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by skookum
There is a huge variation in quality of Chinese manufactured products. The high quality stuff is really good, maybe the best in the world. However there is a lot of crap in the lower end.
Products made for the Chinese market are particularly bad. In terms of ebikes and motors, the top equipment maybe is world beating. Be very cautious with lower end gear.
true but usually higher end bikes are made in taiwan.
Old 12-04-20, 05:09 PM
fooferdoggie 

There is a huge variation in quality of Chinese manufactured products. The high quality stuff is really good, maybe the best in the world. However there is a lot of crap in the lower end.
Products made for the Chinese market are particularly bad. In terms of ebikes and motors, the top equipment maybe is world beating. Be very cautious with lower end gear.
Old 12-04-20, 05:12 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
McDonald's sells the most burgers but how good are they?
LOL. That one has already been used.
Old 12-04-20, 05:36 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
LOL. That one has already been used.
ya after I posted it I saw it.
Old 12-04-20, 07:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Pinarello sells high-end carbon road bikes with Bafang motors. So they can't be too bad.
Not sure about this thread drift, where did Harley get their motors from? They certainly don't make any such thing.
Old 12-09-20, 02:04 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
Yes, i.e., the Republic of China (ROC), or Chinese Taipei, when not built in the People's Republic of China (PRC).
Old 12-10-20, 12:39 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
There is a huge variation of quality in products made anywhere on the planet and I think that nobody who is of reasonable intelligence would dispute that. The idea however that anything made in China is automatically and unilaterally "junk" is over played in my humble opinion. I wonder if these snobs know where their high end smart phone was manufactured? And there is a reverse stigma that anything German made is flawless, perfect and the very best in the world without challengers. People need to expand their awareness that there are no absolutes and that the world is not just "black or white" or "hot or cold". There are all sorts of variants or shades n-between those extremes.
Likes For edwong3:
Old 12-12-20, 04:30 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by edwong3
There is a huge variation of quality in products made anywhere on the planet and I think that nobody who is of reasonable intelligence would dispute that. The idea however that anything made in China is automatically and unilaterally "junk" is over played in my humble opinion. I wonder if these snobs know where their high end smart phone was manufactured? And there is a reverse stigma that anything German made is flawless, perfect and the very best in the world without challengers. People need to expand their awareness that there are no absolutes and that the world is not just "black or white" or "hot or cold". There are all sorts of variants or shades n-between those extremes.
Absolutely true, though very generous, IMO. “German quality” and “Chinese junk” are also long time racist tropes, and one would be well advised to carefully consider what they’re saying before garbage like that rolls off their tongue.
Old 12-13-20, 07:53 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Soooooo, I'll address the OP's original point.

Yamaha went seeking e-bike dealers when they brought their goods to NA. I was one of their first dealers. I thought they would be picking established dealers for the bicycle line, but I was assured they were not. That continued for 2 years, but they couldnt whip up enough dealers and social media comments were the nearest dealer was too far away. So they started knocking on the doors of established Yamaha product dealers. Now, around me is motorcycle dealer and a bit further away is a boat dealer handling the product. Also this year they brought out a new flooring scheme that was supposed to help. It was a disaster. I told them to get lost because I felt like a trained seal just dancing for their enjoyment. Later my sales guy said that potential new dealers said the same, so their location problems are still a problem.

Its a shame because their product is VERY good.

-SP
Likes For speedy25:
Old 12-15-20, 08:16 AM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuBM
“eBikes” are mopeds. Electric mopeds, but mopeds just the same. Yamaha has nearly a century of uninterrupted experience designing exceptional quality (reliability and safety) into mopeds.

If I were in the market for an electric moped I’d trust no company other than Yamaha. Not some random company on Amazon. Not Specialized, Haro, or Trek.
Gotta disagree with you on your take a little. I have three ebikes which one can fall into the "kinda of a moped" column. That's a Rad with a throttle. My other two are a Specialized Como 3.0 and a Levo Comp (torque sensor), They have nothing in common with a moped. So why not Specialized? have you owned a Specialized ebike?
Old 12-15-20, 09:27 AM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
The Brose motor is not reliable.
Remember the 'Landrider' with auto transmission? Nobody wants to ride an autoshifting bike.
250 watts and 66ftpounds of torgue .... ya, I don't think so. Keep on dreaming.
Why would anyone spend $4499 when you can get bikes like this for...:
https://www.aventon.com/products/ave...commuter-ebike
I beg to differ. I haven't had issues with both of mine.