Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Presta valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-21, 08:19 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I like Presta more, but Schrader works well too. I had some Presta tubes fail at the stem/tube interface though, never with Schrader.
Old 03-20-21, 01:36 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling

The valve I most hate is the Woods valve, which most Americans have never seen, but which most bikes here in Japan come with. In Japan they are called English valves. These valves suck donkey *****. They require a special adapter....
I’ve only ever used the same pumps as for my Prestas. No adapters, no problem. The tips of the valves where they engage the pump are close enough in diameter.

....the valves have a cap which has to be threaded out....
And just like on Prestas, the valve cap can be permanently left off with minimal consequences.
....the inside of the Woods valve has a small rubber tube which must be replaced if the valve leaks...
Yeah, that type of valve core wasn’t much fun. Mostly b/c it created a lot of resistance while inflating. Plastic hand pumps could get warm enough to start deforming.
Over here, we have these:

We’d call them ”speed valves”, or ”flash valves” due to how much faster inflation went.
If Japan really haven’t discovered these, there might be a business opportunity there for you.
It’s the exact same fit as the tubed valve cores and with the longevity and flow characteristics like Prestas.

Last edited by dabac; 03-20-21 at 01:41 AM.
Likes For dabac:
Old 03-20-21, 09:02 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

+1 to all dabac said.
Old 03-20-21, 09:13 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I like Presta more, but Schrader works well too. I had some Presta tubes fail at the stem/tube interface though, never with Schrader.
Yes, the Presta stem sometimes pulls out of the tube but I’ve also seen tons of Schrader fail at the valve stem. The rubber coating fo the Schrader valve gets cut and it won’t hold air. The stem can get cut when the Schrader valve is at an angle in the valve hole of the rim. Sometimes that’s because people don’t install the valve correctly and leave it at an angle and sometimes it’s due to creep of the tube when the pressure is low. Oddly enough, I’ve never seen a Presta installed at an angle or at an angle due to tube creep.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-20-21, 09:55 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Tube creep has been an ongoing mystery. Like you say, I've only seen it on my Schrader tires. To be fair, Schraders are more likely to be found on lower end bikes, so maybe they're just more neglected. And my one remaining bike with Schrader is the one that gets the most neglected, since it's the daily commuter bike. Also, Schrader valves tend to be found on bikes with wider tires. But still, 'tis a mystery.

The Schrader tubes I've had are metal all the way down, so cutting the rubber coating doesn't affect anything. I think they're a bit stronger just because the base is bigger and thicker, but that's speculation.

I think what it boils down is that either type of valve requires a modicum of care to use, and the failures are so few and far between that it's hard to pin down either root cause or any kind of quantitative reliability. Most of us ride whatever was on the bike when we bought it. "The good is the enemy of the good enough." In my case, Schrader is gradually fading away because my new wheel builds have all been Presta just due to availability of rims.
Old 03-20-21, 11:12 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yes, the Presta stem sometimes pulls out of the tube but I’ve also seen tons of Schrader fail at the valve stem. The rubber coating fo the Schrader valve gets cut and it won’t hold air. The stem can get cut when the Schrader valve is at an angle in the valve hole of the rim. Sometimes that’s because people don’t install the valve correctly and leave it at an angle and sometimes it’s due to creep of the tube when the pressure is low. Oddly enough, I’ve never seen a Presta installed at an angle or at an angle due to tube creep.
The Presta and Schrader valves I've seen are attached differently, the Presta has a groove in the metal stem while the Schrader has an integral rubber circle which in my opinion is stronger due to the bigger attachment area. But yes, I've seen Schrader fail due to tire creep. A friend of mine had this problem on his front wheel, braking on descents with a heavy loaded bike. Tried many things but the only way to really fix it was to change the rim.
Old 03-21-21, 02:09 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
I prefer schrader but use both. The only valve I have ruined before is a presta because I didn't understand them. I lose air on both of them sometimes when pumping.
Old 03-21-21, 05:58 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Never had an issue with presta adaptors but only use good brass ones with an O ring. The only time I use a hand pump is when I have a flat on the road.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-22-21, 11:16 AM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I don't love them, but I don't regard them as a problem, either. In 21 years, I think I have broken ONE. Big deal.
Old 03-22-21, 11:18 AM
Nipomored

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Presta valves

Originally Posted by Kjas64
Does anyone else dislike them? I drill them out immediately. I did a brand new bike for a neighbor. Just curious, if they're so fantastic why don't you see them in all products? Ever see a presta on a well air tank?. Wheels have actually gotten wider . To each their own. My 81 miyata 750sr low end bike came with them. Cheap bike with prestas. Trying to impress buyers. Then immediately break them. I'm a schrader guy. Lol
I believe Presta valves are used on bicycles because they require a smaller hole in the wheel so do less damage to the structural integrity of the wheel. I have never considered switching!
Old 03-22-21, 11:28 AM
idrum4u

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Presta Valves

Does anyone else dislike them? I drill them out immediately. I did a brand new bike for a neighbor. Just curious, if they're so fantastic why don't you see them in all products? Ever see a presta on a well air tank?. Wheels have actually gotten wider . To each their own. My 81 miyata 750sr low end bike came with them. Cheap bike with prestas. Trying to impress buyers. Then immediately break them. I'm a schrader guy. Lol
I have been in the bicycle industry since 1977 and DO NOT like presta valves. I keep having to reach for an adaptor.
Likes For idrum4u:
Old 03-22-21, 11:30 AM
Goldrush

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

I'm the opposite. I hate schrader valves. Presta only.
Likes For Goldrush:
Old 03-22-21, 11:31 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
The most logical reason for using presta valves I've heard was in drag race cars that had little tiny wheels in front. It was possible they could spin so fast that the center valve would depress from the centripetal force and some air could be lost. The presta valve allowed you to lock them shut to prevent this. I don't know if that's true or legend, but it's what I heard
A quick google search of images of front drag wheels shows that at least some are using schrader valves with caps.

Last edited by pallen; 03-22-21 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-22-21, 11:54 AM
BurleyCat
Qfactor

Bikes: Santa Cruz, Bridgestone, Raleigh, Rudge, Specialized, Burley, Schwinn

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Lots of good responses. Thanks all
I don't own any tubeless wheels, so don't know about that. What about deep rims? I've got two bikes with semi-aero hoops and am sure a Schrader stem wouldn't be long enough even if I drilled out the hole(s). I did have to do a 'shade tree' enlargement to fit a Schrader into a Presta rim once, using the tang of a file. Worked fine.

Last edited by BurleyCat; 03-22-21 at 11:55 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-22-21, 12:10 PM
Texpe

Bikes: 65 Frejus Tour de France 68 Frejus corsa 72 Legnano 75 Frejus Professional 74 Paramount 74 Super Mondia Special 77 Raleigh Grand Prix 83 Vicini 87 Nishki International 74 campania pro 71 schwinn sports tourer 75 Romic 100 81 Miyata 900 74 Miyata Eddy

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Presta guy here too

I keep an adaptor on all my bikes In case needed I even buy the adaptors to match the cables to add some coordination of the bikes color scheme
Old 03-22-21, 02:09 PM
sacr

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
some like the schrader because they can use them at gas stations to fill up? Found years ago, that few had their compressors or gauges set so that any more than 60 psi could be put into the tyres, which will get you rolling but not good enough on a 32 width tyre or less. Also have found the issue that whatever depresses the schrader valve on your pump to let the air in is problematical in actually pressing it the right amount to let air in and/or causes leakages greater than the rate one can pump it in. So for high pressure bike tyres, presta for me.
Old 03-22-21, 02:17 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
increasing rim depth & reducing the rim width will at some point favor or require a presta.
Old 03-22-21, 02:44 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The poor design part is that they take the simplicity of a Presta valve and makes in to a poor Schrader valve. They could be made so that they just slip on to the valve they’d work better.

But, honestly, I’ve been using Presta for over 40 years and in all that time I’ve never run across a bicycle pump that didn’t have the ability to pump both types of valves. Every floor pump and frame pump I’ve ever had had the conversion hardware in the pump head and could be easily converted when needed.
I have been using presta since my I put alloy rims on my Peugeot UO-8 circa 1974. Never ever had a problem. I carry 2 spare presta tubes always. In the old days of 25mm tires is was super easy, with 32s a bit larger, but still small. My first floor pump was a Silca Pista for tubulars, it was Presta only as are my Silca frame pumps. I do carry a brass presta to schraeder adapter as a just-in-case, but never needed it. None of the folks I ride with use Schraeder, and those that had them on hybrids went to Presta.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 03-22-21, 05:11 PM
holder66

Bikes: Da Vinci Grand Junction tandem, Miele Gara, Giant Cypress LX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My floor pump handles both Presta and Schrader valves without needing to change anything. I use it on bikes, my motorcycle, even my car. The biggest problem is with Schrader valves which sink down into the rim and tire when the tube has very little air in it. The nut on Presta valves prevents that from happening.
Old 03-22-21, 06:27 PM
Snocrvr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Personal Preference

Interesting discussion. I have been riding bicycles both on and off road for about 60 years. At 74, I still ride about 1000 miles a year - in Minnesota (with roughly 7 decent weather riding months). I now ride long wheelbase recumbents for comfort (Easy Racers). I have managed and worked in bike shops, and was the president of a large (about 1500 riders) bike club for a couple of years. I have used both Schrader and Presta tubes for those 60 years. For most of them I used only Presta. Still do. Why? Generally, better Presta pumps available. Much more reliable fills with less leakage. Less failures around the base of the stem. And, Presta is what I am used to. My recommendation - go with whatever you like. There was once an article in a magazine called Bike World. The owner of a bike shop related the story of bike rider customers sitting around his shop discussing different brands of components. At one point, they asked the owner what he thought. His response was "quit sitting around talking." "Go ride your bikes." Schrader? Presta? I say Presta.
Likes For Snocrvr:
Old 03-22-21, 08:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by idrum4u
I have been in the bicycle industry since 1977 and DO NOT like presta valves. I keep having to reach for an adaptor.
What bicycle industry are you working for that you need an adaptor? Most modern pumps do both valves or at least presta and the Park Tool inflator works with both valves and so does the Prestacycle inflator both of which are sold on QBP. The SKS head has a integrated chain with a presta adaptor on it you don't even need to thread.
Old 03-22-21, 09:00 PM
Dennis9156

Bikes: Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
schrader valves over presta valves

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Never really had issues with Presta, put the pump head on correctly and pull it right off without wiggling or jiggling and I don't need a cap if I don't want or if I lose one. Yeah sure other stuff may not use the valve but that doesn't mean a ton. Different valves for different applications.
Originally Posted by Bluesfrog
I despise the Presta. They were invented by the devil. I have two hand pumps the purportedly work for both but they give me trouble on Prestas. I change my tubes to schrader when I have reason to change tire or tube. If the Presta work for you I have no problem with it. I just prefer all schraders. But Be Well, Bluesfrog
I was hesitant to change to presta valves but upgraded to tubeless and had no choice but to switch I found presta valves from chain reaction cycles that have a built in core remover (nukeproof) and got 2 spare adaptors that screw on so you can use a schrader pump attachment that I carry with me if riding so either way its easy to to put air in if needed as I also use a compressor if at home it makes the job easier , But in saying that since going tubeless I dont have the normal aggravation of puncturing tubes like most things different people different preferences do what suits you most . But I have to say tubeless is my preference now.
Old 03-22-21, 09:02 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Shrader high psi.

If you think you are losing pressure through a shrader valve, you can loosen and retighten the core. Or you can remove the core to blow any FOD out and reinstall.

On a shrader valve stem... ditch the stupid black plastic cap. The good caps are made of brass and have a little rubber seal inside. Put a tiny bit of atf/motor oil/power steering fluid in that cap and install the cap. After that it’s practically impossible for it to leak out the stem core.

Shrader goes to 500psi in HVAC, 105psi on tractor trailers. Bigger shrader goes to 150psi on tophandlers, 35k forklifts.

If I remember right, shrader is on motorcycle shocks to charge with nitrogen.

Zero experience with Presta- just clarifying any ideas that shrader is inferior for high psi.
Old 03-23-21, 06:16 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Zero experience with Presta- just clarifying any ideas that shrader is inferior for high psi.
Presta is easier to pump to high pressure with a hand pump as there's no valve spring to fight.
Old 03-23-21, 06:35 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Presta is easier to pump to high pressure with a hand pump as there's no valve spring to fight.
???

The pressure in the tire is what you are "fighting".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.