Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Pro Bike Fit Results

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Pro Bike Fit Results

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-21, 07:27 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Pro Bike Fit Results

I had my first professional bike fit yesterday, after ~40 years of cycling. I requested an endurance fit, for all-day and consecutive all-day rides. I thought I'd share that here. I'd be interested to hear what changes other people have experienced from a pro fitting.

Started out with an assessment of my flexibility. My 60 year old body, after a lifetime of cycling and office work, is quite flexible in the range of motion that occurs while cycling, and not very flexible outside that range. No surprises there. A discussion of my cycling history, issues, and goals followed. Essentially, I want to do randonneuring rides up to 1200km with as little discomfort as possible.

Then he did an assessment of me spinning on a trainer. Results: hips rocking, slightly straining a bit to reach the bars. Finally, measuring my knee angle at bottom of stroke. About 25 degrees.

For adjustments, first he moved my cleats forward. I had them pretty much as far back as possible, from the understanding/belief that this would avoid hotfoot on long rides. He moved them forward about 8mm. Explanation being increased efficiency. He said it was still a "midfoot" placement, more for endurance comfort than power.

Then he lowered my seat to address the rocking hips and knee angle. Seat lowered so knee angle was 33 degrees. I don't how how much he lowered it, but it seemed a fair amount.

Finally he rotated the bars back. to bring the hoods closer and improve wrist angle.

Surprisingly, no change to seat setback, stem height, or stem length.

We'll see how it goes. I did one 15 mile ride last night, and definitely noticed the seat felt really low. I'll do another 30-40 mile ride tomorrow and see how that feels. I have a 600k scheduled the weekend of the 20th. Hopefully I'll be adapted to these changes.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 08-07-21, 09:57 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

2nd ride results: 5 minutes quicker on my 40k route. That's 40k with 3k feet of climbing. I can't say for sure it's the fit, but surely it didn't hurt. Low back pain seems better than usual.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 08-10-21, 09:15 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
more updates!
Old 08-11-21, 07:40 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Sounds right. I had the same thing, first bike fit at about 70. He brought my hands back 3 cm, and went from a -17° to a -6° stem. He didn't do anything else, the rest was just right by him. I still don't know about the 3 cm. and raising my hands up. Made no difference to comfort on a double, maybe a little slower, hard to say. He said my hop angle was too tight. OTOH, he recommended moving my clip-ons down below the bars rather than on top of them. That actually made me lower on the aero bars than I had been, too low in fact if I'm in a fat phase. I do like the spring loaded arm rests that came with them, gives me more bar top room, OTOH those spring loaded gadgets are noisy and tricky to move into. They took a lot of practice to be able to move into them without killing myself. So it's different, by I'm not sure it's better. He's the go-to fitter in the area.
Old 08-15-21, 11:19 PM
downtube42

Today I did another ride on the new fit. 38 miles ride with 3,761 feet of climbing. The hardest climb averaged 11.9% over 1.7 miles, on gravel. Hard AF. At the top of the gravel climb, my lower back was definitely sore. I think though that overall I had less back pain than prior to the fitting. No knee issues, or any other negatives I could detect from the fit changes.

No meaningful PRs; I didn't really push that hard.

I still think it's a positive.
Old 08-21-21, 03:16 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Glad it works for you, but I never would have thought a 33deg knee angle would. How high does your knee get?