Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Today was one of those days when I was glad I built a capable e bike.

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 08-11-21, 05:03 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

Was out riding this afternoon in the heat of the day Temps were near 90 with high humidity. I have a cadence sensed bike so I can set it for fast biking without much input from me and have a nice breeze and an empty bike path. I had the puppy with me cuz she likes to go, even if its hot. We had stopped at a picnic table where I gave her some water to drink. I too had a nice drink with ice in it. We were 7.5 miles from home and 750 feet of climbing yet to go. The breeze was nice but all of a sudden, the wind shifted from south west to south east and picked up a little. When that happens I am on guard. I knew there was weather to the west but figured it was still two hours away.
I started to slowly pack things up and all of a sudden the phone goes off with that Defcon1 sound and a weather warning for winds to 80 mph with the impact areas and times. A quick calculation gave me about 20 minutes to make it home before I would be overtaken. There was nothing on the horizon yet so I knew it had to be fast and bad. I got moving in two minutes and put the power at max. My battery was below 50% but the capacity is very large so I knew it could handle the mad dash for home.
In a couple of minutes I got my first look at the horizon and it was darker to the west. I was going away from the storms at first but I could see they were catching me and I was at 29 mph. In two miles I had to turn north and head a bit into the storms. Wow was it moving fast. I adjusted the gears for maximum rpm on the climbs and I was still looking at 25mph pulling 1,500 watts from the batteries. I had four stop signs I had to slow down for but I did not have to stop fully and wait for traffic.
I pulled into my garage about three minutes before the first gust front hit us. Just enough time to secure the trash cans and the table ambarella. When I started by sprint I hit the display for zero miles. My average for that sprint was 27.2 mph That is by far the longest I have ever been in high power and the highest speed average I have ever seen. I made it in under 17 minutes. Hope I don't have to repeat that any time soon. Thank god I left one setting unrestricted for just this scenario. . The other 8 settings are all 750 watts or less motor output. I needed both speed and climbing ability. .
Likes For KPREN:
Old 08-11-21, 05:23 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Cool! If you are going to have a motor, best to have as much power as possible.
Old 08-11-21, 06:19 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

My wife just chided me on my ordeal. She is from Missouri and told me I did not learn one damned thing from the Wizard of Oz. She said I should have learned that its a bad idea to take tiny black curly little dogs out on bicycles when inclement weather might develop.
Guess its a good thing I had an e bike or I might have been seeing Olé' Granny Gulch go by in a clould.
Old 08-13-21, 07:10 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I'm more worried about the dog than you. Did the poor thing have to run on the tri back?
Old 08-13-21, 10:19 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Yeah, we wanna know if the dog had her own bike or if she rode on back,
Old 08-15-21, 09:42 AM
KPREN

The puppy is 1,200 grams

Picture of the pup on that picnic table before the fast ride.
and rides on my back
Likes For KPREN: