Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Project Denali...aka pimp this turd

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Project Denali...aka pimp this turd

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-21, 03:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Because a frame is heavy does not make it stout or sturdy. A cheaply welded frame out of heavy materials could potentially break more easily than than a lightweight frame that was welded by professionals.

I will not get the obsession with scrap metal that was turned into a bike and named after some nasty gas guzzling SUV and wanting to "upgrade" it? Any money spent is not money well spent. Maybe if I didn't have any bike and I could get the bike running for $20 or less, I might consider putting that money towards it but if I am just starting a collection of bicycle shaped scrap metal I would probably instead up my goals to even just a single lower mid level hybrid and do a bit better or maybe actually up my goals to something really decent.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-06-21, 03:56 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly907la
I don't know if the frame is 8 pounds or not, but the frame is light.
Hi. You say that the frame is light, but then you say it is stout, and needs to be sturdy because you are a Clydesdale. [EDIT - So am I, and you could make something better and durable even from a less "sturdy"-looking road bike, or with an older MTB as a base.]

I know a couple of things, and one is that those frames are NOT light. I once did a clean/lube/adjust on one of these, a yellow one that I picked up for free, and the next day I just put it out for free. It took a while, but someone eventually took it. I had it laying down as I didn't want to chance it falling onto the sidewalk and having someone smaller hurt themselves trying to move it. They are shockingly heavy versus anything but a rideshare bike, or a gaspipe + chrome job from the 1950s with a bunch of unnecessary stuff bolted to it.

The other thing I know is that there are so, so many better bikes out there for free or almost free to start with. You will spend less and have a better result. Tell us your preferred Craigslist area and there are dozens of people on this site who can look and pick out a dozen better options, and go through what's worth doing and what's not, and why, and how to do it. That thing is just not worth it- cut your losses.

Hell, you already have 2 better bikes based on your signature, so you know you can get quality stuff for not a lot. Two of the best road bikes I've ever had I got for free and spent on refurb and parts and it's really satisfying.

Last edited by Charliekeet; 07-06-21 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-06-21, 04:43 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
You should put those whale fin sawtooth Zipps an Enve carbon fork and ETap on that thing.
Old 07-06-21, 04:46 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Charliekeet
Hi. You say that the frame is light, but then you say it is stout, and needs to be sturdy because you are a Clydesdale. [EDIT - So am I, and you could make something better and durable even from a less "sturdy"-looking road bike, or with an older MTB as a base.]

I know a couple of things, and one is that those frames are NOT light. I once did a clean/lube/adjust on one of these, a yellow one that I picked up for free, and the next day I just put it out for free. It took a while, but someone eventually took it. I had it laying down as I didn't want to chance it falling onto the sidewalk and having someone smaller hurt themselves trying to move it. They are shockingly heavy versus anything but a rideshare bike, or a gaspipe + chrome job from the 1950s with a bunch of unnecessary stuff bolted to it.

The other thing I know is that there are so, so many better bikes out there for free or almost free to start with. You will spend less and have a better result. Tell us your preferred Craigslist area and there are dozens of people on this site who can look and pick out a dozen better options, and go through what's worth doing and what's not, and why, and how to do it. That thing is just not worth it- cut your losses.

Hell, you already have 2 better bikes based on your signature, so you know you can get quality stuff for not a lot. Two of the best road bikes I've ever had I got for free and spent on refurb and parts and it's really satisfying.
The frame is lightweight as far as I am concerned. I guess it depends on your definition of what lightweight is. The components on the Denali make it heavy. Huge, heavy rear derailleur, all steel cranks, the old school bottom bracket, and steel handlebars make it heavy. I hope whoever took the bike off of your hands, is enjoying and even possibly upgrading it.

I've scoured CL, and FB marketplace, and I would be hard pressed to find a bike that I can afford that isn't rusted, with seized handlebars, cranks, seat post, and no usable components. The CL is your area must be a goldmine of affordable bikes, and good for you, if it is.

I might be selling the DB Insight II. I don't know yet. I can tell you that isn't lightweight by any stretch of the imagination. The MTB is a tank, and I need to work on the Wellington I got. I might have the eat the fork on it...I don't know yet.

I agree that refurbishing a bike is very satisfying. I am cutting my wrenching teeth with the bikes I get, and would rather eff up, on them, instead of an expensive bike. I've yet to get a free bike that's ready to go out of the gate, but I am open to it.

I have no heat, no judgement. I know that the Denali is widely reviled on these forums and others.
Likes For grizzly907la:
Old 07-06-21, 04:50 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Because a frame is heavy does not make it stout or sturdy. A cheaply welded frame out of heavy materials could potentially break more easily than than a lightweight frame that was welded by professionals.

I will not get the obsession with scrap metal that was turned into a bike and named after some nasty gas guzzling SUV and wanting to "upgrade" it? Any money spent is not money well spent. Maybe if I didn't have any bike and I could get the bike running for $20 or less, I might consider putting that money towards it but if I am just starting a collection of bicycle shaped scrap metal I would probably instead up my goals to even just a single lower mid level hybrid and do a bit better or maybe actually up my goals to something really decent.
I rolled around DTLA (not the nice part with all of the lofts, boutique shops and eateries,) for four years on a Denali, and the roads are rough there...zero problems. I don't know if 6061 aluminum is scrap or not.
Old 07-06-21, 06:46 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
I like the Denali frame because it's stout. I'm a Clyde. I needed to put 45c's on my insight, because the 32c's were sagging almost to the rim of the wheels. I didn't have that problem with the original Denali I had and that was also running 32c's. Don't get me wrong the Insight is a great bike, however I had to go with bigger tires to compensate. I spent $80 for it and I have most of the parts I need. I doubt that I could've gotten a late model road bike, with working components for that price.
You should never confuse stout with sturdy, stout just means its heavy. I've never been lighter then 240lbs after putting on my freshmen 15 plus some extra and have had plenty of sub 18lb bikes that were built right and sturdy, never had one break after over 10k miles or more; none were stout but all that I chose to buy were sturdy.

I contemplated taking off the stickers, but I am going to keep them because I know it triggers the hardcore bike snobs (no I am not saying that everyone who hates on the Denali is a bike snob.)
Sometimes people only want to help you understand how it can be deficient. My velodrome track racing bike is a Raleigh that was 150.00 new in the box shipped to my door. The thing weighted 24lbs with one gear, no shifters, brakes, brake levers or derailleurs. It is stout, and using it I can feel, especially knowing what a good bike can be like, how much it is slowing me down and sucking away my efforts. I also have people who will talk to me about how I need one better, and I get that, but sometimes things need to be good enough.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 07-06-21, 08:01 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Sometimes people only want to help you understand how it can be deficient. My velodrome track racing bike is a Raleigh that was 150.00 new in the box shipped to my door. The thing weighted 24lbs with one gear, no shifters, brakes, brake levers or derailleurs. It is stout, and using it I can feel, especially knowing what a good bike can be like, how much it is slowing me down and sucking away my efforts. I also have people who will talk to me about how I need one better, and I get that, but sometimes things need to be good enough.
I make due, with what I can afford.
Old 07-07-21, 01:55 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I happily be a Kent Pariah with you. The Roadtech is the Denali's little bother in a fashion. I can take a Denali frame and turn it into an awesome entry level road bike for $300...easy. The Roadtech is essentially the same frame but with a different paint and slightly better components. I contemplated taking off the stickers, but I am going to keep them because I know it triggers the hardcore bike snobs (no I am not saying that everyone who hates on the Denali is a bike snob.)

I had a similar problem with a frame I've stripped down. I had to leave the stripper on for a couple of hours, took a metal brush to it, reapplied it to the spots that didn't come off. I am going to feather down the rest of the spots that didn't come off. You could feather the old finish down, and prime over it.
Same components, just different tires, stem shifters, and interruptor brake levers. They have mtb gearing, so if you want a sealed bb it needs a mtb width one
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 07-07-21, 02:00 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
sigh....,

we all know that, this is BF, exaggeration is expected, but not always recognized.
I'm not. I have a few other frames at home. A 2007 or so Trek 800 Sport Single Track, 2012 Gary Fisher Katai, 201X Diamondback Drifterą, 90s Fuji TruTemper, 83 Schwinn Probe. The Denali frame is lighter than all of those frames except the DB and Probe... and the Katai is alloy, too.
Old 07-07-21, 02:12 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by Charliekeet

The complete Denali is about 29lbs, and the later round tube steel one is heavier. The forks are hiten steel, the seatpost, stem, bars are steel. The brake calipers might be steel. The handlebar coupler, seat clamp, rims are aluminum. The frame by itself is not heavy. I used to jump my roadtech on curbs and steps, bombed through potholes, I weighed 250lbs, and the bike was fine. Lugging a bike up and down steps, you get acustomed to its weight. It's a good frame to build, regardless of what you fools claim.
Old 07-07-21, 02:20 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

This bike was a beast... I don't care what yall say.
Old 07-07-21, 04:29 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
For those wondering how a Denali (or equivalent) 6061 aluminum frame can weigh so much, it seems likely that the manufacturers of all such bottom-feeder frames simply skip the heat treatment step usually applied to aluminum frames, thus making up for the lack of enhanced strength with sheer mass.
Old 07-07-21, 05:46 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
You should put those whale fin sawtooth Zipps an Enve carbon fork and ETap on that thing.
I was just thinking the same thing. Open up the ENVE website and order a fork, handlebars, seatpost, stem, and whatever other carbon pieces they make for that bike. It'll be a lightweight just like that!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 07-07-21, 10:42 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Do what you want with your time and money. Make it the best it can be. Post some pics. Eff the haters. I have been on gun forums, BMW M5 forums, Ducati forums and everything in between. The ....ahem....strongest opinions are on bike forums. lol.

Building something out of nothing or taking a beat up old bike and making it better than factory is super fun and rewarding. It seems you know what you want to do with this bike and aren't going to be out much if it doesn't work out. I say go for it. Chances are if you took off the decals and did a good paint job the haters wouldn't even know what you started with !!
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 07-07-21, 10:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
You should never confuse stout with sturdy, stout just means its heavy. .
Merriam Webster would like to have a word with you:

Stout definition 2:

physically or materially strong:
a: STURDY, VIGOROUS
b: STAUNCH, ENDURING
c: sturdily constructed : SUBSTANTIAL
Old 07-07-21, 12:23 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
https://www.instagram.com/p/BO3Abhvj...dium=copy_link
29 to 14 lbs.... you are dreaming.......
Likes For trailangel:
Old 07-07-21, 12:25 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
Eff the haters. I have been on gun forums, BMW M5 forums, Ducati forums and everything in between. The ....ahem....strongest opinions are on bike forums. lol.
Well, sure. An M5? A Ducati? Those are just toys. Bicycles are serious.
Old 07-07-21, 12:45 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Well, sure. An M5? A Ducati? Those are just toys. Bicycles are serious.
LoL....so true !! !! My M5 was most definitely a toy !! A huge money pit of a toy. After I blew out a clutch and a rear end I cut my losses and sold it. It did have eyeball flattening acceleration and sounded like a band of angels revving their angel mobiles.

My Ducati's .....fabulous beautiful toys !!!
Old 07-07-21, 12:58 PM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
$80?

That thing looks almost brand new!

Since you're stripping it down, you should weigh it. That'd be interesting. I saw on Amazon that a medium sized Denali is listed as weighing 30lbs. Wonder how much of that is the frame.

Last edited by ChamoisDavisJr; 07-07-21 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-07-21, 03:49 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
The frame is lightweight as far as I am concerned. I guess it depends on your definition of what lightweight is.
I don't know what the definition of lightweight is. For a road bike, it may be this:

- during the bike boom of the 70s, anything below 21 lbs or so was considered light. These were the best bikes. Sew-up tires, quality steel tubing, decent craftsmanship, top components.

- today, with carbon frames and wheelsets, and structural components, as well as top-flight group sets and fairly light clincher options, I'd guess that lightweight would be beneath 17 lbs or so.

For an aluminum framed hybrid with non disc wheels, I'd guess that lightweight might be 24-25 lbs or so.

Others may chime in, but you could start with these numbers and be pretty close.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-07-21, 07:38 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I don't know what the definition of lightweight is. For a road bike, it may be this:

- during the bike boom of the 70s, anything below 21 lbs or so was considered light. These were the best bikes. Sew-up tires, quality steel tubing, decent craftsmanship, top components.

- today, with carbon frames and wheelsets, and structural components, as well as top-flight group sets and fairly light clincher options, I'd guess that lightweight would be beneath 17 lbs or so.

For an aluminum framed hybrid with non disc wheels, I'd guess that lightweight might be 24-25 lbs or so.

Others may chime in, but you could start with these numbers and be pretty close.
Thanks for giving me a baseline! I appreciate it!
Old 07-07-21, 07:41 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by ChamoisDavisJr
$80?

That thing looks almost brand new!

Since you're stripping it down, you should weigh it. That'd be interesting. I saw on Amazon that a medium sized Denali is listed as weighing 30lbs. Wonder how much of that is the frame.
The previous owner hardly rode it. He got it so he could have a bike to ride with his, but they lost interest in bike riding, and he was looking to get rid of it. The stock components are heavy, along with the steel cranks, steel handlebars, steel fork and wheels make it heavy.
Old 07-07-21, 09:00 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
The GMC Denali was actually a very desireable upscale trim for the GMC trucks, that at one point had AWD , 4wheel steering (which worked well!), and a plastic truck bed (which also worked well)

What on earth possessed GM to license this name brand to a bottom of the barrel ***Mart store bike?
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 07-07-21, 09:12 PM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
https://www.instagram.com/p/BO3Abhvj...dium=copy_link
I bet you’d of got it down to 12.7lbs if you removed the kickstand.
Old 07-08-21, 08:00 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The GMC Denali was actually a very desireable upscale trim for the GMC trucks, that at one point had AWD , 4wheel steering (which worked well!), and a plastic truck bed (which also worked well)

What on earth possessed GM to license this name brand to a bottom of the barrel ***Mart store bike?
The Denali trim still is a very popular upscale trim line for GMC. I suspect that they/Walmart knew it would attract attention, which it does. The branding and graphics package on it probably accounts for a very large percentage of the sales of those bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.