Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Front side pull brake 700x28c tire

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-22, 02:47 PM
mtreloar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I want to update a 2006 Santana TeamTi front brake to allow 700x28c tires. The OEM equipment is Durace R-7800, a side-pull, dual pivot, 47-57mm reach, brake. The Durace is a very nice brake, but does not allow 28c tires.
The oem carbon fork does allow 28c tires under the crown. When the brake pads are worn down, a 700x28c tire works, but not with new pads

The newer R-8000 series brakes from Shimano state that 28c tires work. But the R-8000 needs a new group (levers, 13-speed etc) according to the product brochure.
Velo-Orange Grand Cru side pulls might work, but there is no info on the web site.

Any ideas welcome!
Old 08-07-22, 06:04 PM
bwebel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
There is a test of different long reach, i.e. 47-57 mm, calipers here: https://blackmtncycles.com/clearance-pt-ii-road-frames/ The Grand Cru has decent, but not the best clearance. I've used the Shimano R600, TRP RG957, and Velo Orange Grand Crus and found them all to be quite good brakes. If I were getting another brake set, I'd probably worry more about looks and price rather than function in choosing between them. The shimanos may be hard to find, though, particularly new.

Are you sure, however, that your fork will take 47-57mm brakes? As far as I remember, the DA 7800s were only made in 39-49mm reach, and I kind of doubt that any long reach brakes wouldn't clear 28mm tires.
Old 08-08-22, 10:33 AM
mtreloar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bwebel
Are you sure, however, that your fork will take 47-57mm brakes? As far as I remember, the DA 7800s were only made in 39-49mm reach, and I kind of doubt that any long reach brakes wouldn't clear 28mm tires.
Hi @bwebel - Thank you for the very useful link on clearance. I am not allowed to post photos yet on the forum, otherwise I would show pictures of the Dura-ace side pull caliper from 2006 and imprint "Shimano BR-7800" with a ruler showing Centre of brake post to top of mount point 47mm and bottom of the mount 57mm
Old 08-08-22, 02:22 PM
bwebel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Your best bet is probably to try to find the Shimano BR-R600 then, which should be basically a direct replacement to the other shimano brake. And it definitely clears a 28. I rode 32s with it. You might not even need to replace the rear, depending how picky you are with matching. From what I recall of the two brakes, the DA was a little bit darker grey, probably not something you'd notice on a tandem. But I don't ever recall putting the two brakes next to each other, so I may be wrong. I still have a pair of the short reach 7800s, but put the R600s on a friend's bike a while back.
Old 08-10-22, 02:19 PM
mkane

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We use the 7800 dura ace front brake with a 700x28 Conti. Just give it a push it will slide right through or let some air out.
Old 08-10-22, 06:33 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by mkane
We use the 7800 dura ace front brake with a 700x28 Conti. Just give it a push it will slide right through or let some air out.
+1. We have 28”s with DA 7800 with no issues
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-11-22, 04:30 AM
mtreloar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi @mkane and @merlinextraligh
Interesting. Like you, I was running Conti 700x28c with the DA 7800. Then I renewed the pads. The new pads are thicker than the old of course. I was surprised to see the arch drop a bit lower as the brake arms spread further apart to allow the new pads. This lowered the brake arch too close to the 28c for comfort.

Perhaps your rims are narrower, or the pads somewhat worn? My wheel is a Velocity Dyad 48
Old 08-11-22, 07:21 AM
mkane

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

New pads on our bike. Don't remember which Velocity we use on the front.
Old 08-12-22, 04:20 AM
mtreloar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@mkane - Do you ride with the brake "open", as shown in the photo? I have always closed the lever on the side of the brake after mounting the wheel and inflating the tire.
Old 08-12-22, 01:52 PM
mkane

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Of course not.