Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Prank or Vandalism? MassDOT Bike Lane Cones

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 02-21-22, 05:21 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts

The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) has released video of pranksters? or vandals? throwing over a bridge (the Harvard Bridge) traffic cones meant to protect a winter bike lane.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/video-c...-2022/39155245

Do you deem this to be a prank? or dangerous vandalism?
Old 02-21-22, 05:53 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,873 Times in 1,643 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) has released video of pranksters? or vandals? throwing over a bridge (the Harvard Bridge) traffic cones meant to protect a winter bike lane.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/video-c...-2022/39155245

It's neither. It's drivers who want their lane back. Last sentence in the article:

Drivers, on the other hand, say the single lane causes traffic buildup.
Old 02-21-22, 06:36 AM
parkbrav

When it goes through the city approval process, random people don't just get to decide themselves. That's called vigilantism

It's one thing just to ignore a law; it's then another to take the law into your own hands like that.
Old 02-21-22, 08:59 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
One man’s prank is another man’s vandalism. In this case, if they’re caught, they will likely be additionally charged with an environmental crime for throwing the cones in the river. They’d probably have been better off just throwing them onto the sidewalk.

Dan
Old 02-21-22, 09:12 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Car culture "Richards"....
Old 02-21-22, 09:32 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
It could be both, especially if college kids and alcohol are involved.
Old 02-21-22, 10:13 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts

How many pedestrians are on that sidewalk? That would seem like the best place to put the cyclists, as long as they can be sane around other bridge users.

Also consider making bicycle (bike/pedestrian) specific bridges.

Eugene may be somewhat unique with I think 5 bicycle bridges across the Willamette river, and 2 over the McKenzie river. Plus several smaller bridges. There may well be more bicycle bridges crossing the river than automobile bridges.

The river is smaller than in Boston, but it is also a lot smaller city.

It just seems a little crazy to apparently cut the vehicle access in half, but not spend the money on bicycle infrastructure.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 02-21-22, 10:14 AM
Route 66

Bikes: Spot ACME with Shimano Alfine 11 & Gates Carbon Drive

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 24 Posts
I would never classify it as a prank when it endangers people's lives.
Old 02-22-22, 10:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
typical yutes
Old 02-27-22, 09:07 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
typical yutes
OK, Vinnie!
Likes For sweeks:
Old 02-27-22, 09:32 PM
Route 66

Bikes: Spot ACME with Shimano Alfine 11 & Gates Carbon Drive

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 24 Posts
One of my faves. 😆
Old 02-28-22, 04:48 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

something about the way she explains positraction, is just so hot
Old 02-28-22, 05:03 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by CliffordK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydAAb-uFIy4
How many pedestrians are on that sidewalk? That would seem like the best place to put the cyclists, as long as they can be sane around other bridge users.
Also consider making bicycle (bike/pedestrian) specific bridges.
Eugene may be somewhat unique with I think 5 bicycle bridges across the Willamette river, and 2 over the McKenzie river. Plus several smaller bridges. There may well be more bicycle bridges crossing the river than automobile bridges.
The river is smaller than in Boston, but it is also a lot smaller city.
It just seems a little crazy to apparently cut the vehicle access in half, but not spend the money on bicycle infrastructure.
cool bridge! pedestrians & bikes don't mix. diff. cities need diff solutions. we have more bike lanes opposing up everywhere. seems ti be working fine. we've had some truly horrifying & incredibly tragic deaths of cyclists by trucks & buses https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5105001/ I don't think they are eliminating car lanes on all bridges. I've ridden from my home way outside of Boston to Fenway & even the waterfront a cpl of times. it was pretty harrowing even on a nice sunny day. for ppl commuting year round, I suspect they need a better solution. I've been know to nickname the Cambridge side as looking like China due to all the bikes. bike use is growing & this tiny old city has to adapt. I like driving in the city, grew up in NY, but it's good to see more bike lanes. actually makes it easier for car drivers to figure out what to do to avoid killing someone, or rather saves them from trying to decide. bike lanes are probably faster ^ cheaper to implement than new bridges. we can barely rebuild maintain the bridges we already have
Old 02-28-22, 05:06 AM
rumrunn6

https://www.bikeattorney.com/massach...accidents.html

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...bike-friendly/

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/us/09bike.html

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/11...-more-to-come/
Old 02-28-22, 06:50 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
This thread belongs in the A&S section.
Old 02-28-22, 09:37 AM
rumrunn6

related? speaking for Boston area bridges, have you seen this video? the driver survived
https://www.necn.com/news/national-i...river/2687700/

so much for guard rails, eh?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-28-22, 12:21 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Daniel4
This thread belongs in the A&S section.
And get it subjected to the endless bickering about whether cycling safety is the responsibility of the cyclist, or falls 100% on the drivers?
Old 02-28-22, 12:52 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
cool bridge! pedestrians & bikes don't mix. diff. cities need diff solutions. we have more bike lanes opposing up everywhere. seems ti be working fine. we've had some truly horrifying & incredibly tragic deaths of cyclists by trucks & buses https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5105001/ I don't think they are eliminating car lanes on all bridges. I've ridden from my home way outside of Boston to Fenway & even the waterfront a cpl of times. it was pretty harrowing even on a nice sunny day. for ppl commuting year round, I suspect they need a better solution. I've been know to nickname the Cambridge side as looking like China due to all the bikes. bike use is growing & this tiny old city has to adapt. I like driving in the city, grew up in NY, but it's good to see more bike lanes. actually makes it easier for car drivers to figure out what to do to avoid killing someone, or rather saves them from trying to decide. bike lanes are probably faster ^ cheaper to implement than new bridges. we can barely rebuild maintain the bridges we already have
Boston has a lot of bridges, many of which are wide crossings.

Eugene may have a unique situation. The city took over the public utilities over a century ago due to a typhoid outbreak.

This may well have impacted cyclists during the 1970's and 1980's.

Whenever the city needed a new utility crossing, they did a cost analysis. Under water, above water, or bike bridge.

Finishing it off as a bridge did increase costs somewhat, but it largely was a utility project. Thus, we have a wonderful bike bridge in North Eugene leading directly to the Sewage Treatment Plant. Nonetheless, several of the bike bridges were utility crossings, and even the one near the sewage plant gets quite a bit of use due to neighboring schools, and businesses, as well as poor alternative crossings.

Anyway, it sounds like Boston is doing a lot of work on bike infrastructure, and bridges are the next thing.

Hard to say about pedestrians and bikes. To some extent they mix. But, it depends on both cyclist and pedestrian density. And pedestrians like to loiter on bridges

One thing Eugene has also done is build several miles of sawdust jogging paths. Pedestrians still like the paved paths, but it is possible that a community could start creating parallel infrastructure for cyclists and pedestrians in certain situations.

This was up in Portland.

I think it meant bicycles beware of Sasquatch.

It wasn't in a place that had a lot of pedestrians, but there are some attempts to segregate cyclists and pedestrians. Since that photo was taken, the city has also planted a bunch of plastic posts along the side of the bike lanes. Not a change I'm in favor of, but some like it.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 02-28-22, 01:10 PM
rumrunn6

This was up in Portland.
I think it meant bicycles beware of Sasquatch.
It wasn't in a place that had a lot of pedestrians, but there are some attempts to segregate cyclists and pedestrians. Since that photo was taken, the city has also planted a bunch of plastic posts along the side of the bike lanes. Not a change I'm in favor of, but some like it.
lol yeah there is some size diff. there. 1st thing that comes to mind is what happens when 2 bikes going in opposite directions meet in that narrow bike lane. but I know markings like this are more of a suggestion & ppl will just figure it out when it happens. & yeah cones are not the answer, a legit protected bike lane is much better. I like what I saw in DC a few years ago

got that pic here

regarding the underwater option ... Boston & the Charles River, may always have it's knuckleheads
Old 02-28-22, 03:10 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
And get it subjected to the endless bickering about whether cycling safety is the responsibility of the cyclist, or falls 100% on the drivers?
In that regard, it's no difference where it's posted because you and I are both here making comments.

Unless...there's a certain someone or two, who hang around the A&S section complaining about the threads, I think you might not want to get involved?

Last edited by Daniel4; 02-28-22 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-01-22, 06:56 AM
parkbrav

Well it's a winter cycling thread in the sense that the traffic cones were set up to protect winter cyclists especially during the unique winter darkness.

And the vandalism resulted in the "fruits" of the crime being on full display on top of the Charles River ice as opposed to being concealed under water

And as RumRun says, in the winter time the bridges get icier faster than the roads do. This fact lends credence to the city's protection of bicycles. And this fact reinforces the rational basis underpinning the law protecting the bike lanes. Which goes back to the original point that it's vandalism and not "harmless."

Last edited by parkbrav; 03-01-22 at 07:59 AM.
Likes For parkbrav: