Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front disk hub axle direction

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-28-22, 10:19 AM
utoner34

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

I disassembled the front hub, to clean cones and bearings. Of course I forgot to remember the direction of the axle when I pulled it out. Now I am not sure is there a direction? Cones and screw nuts are the same on both sides, no marking I can see on the outside to identify direction. But there is a groove on the outer ring on both sides which seems like it has a direction? Hub is some Joytech from the Cube Nuroad 2021 bike.

some pictures : https://imgur.com/a/5E8qp9T
Old 03-28-22, 11:18 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Assuming you're talking about the hub spindle and not the through axle: You're good to go.
Old 03-28-22, 11:43 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Assuming you're talking about the hub spindle and not the through axle: You're good to go.
what’s a hub spindle? He’s talking about the axle - the non-rotating shaft around which the hub rotates on the bearings
Old 03-28-22, 05:59 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Originally Posted by Litespud
what’s a hub spindle? He’s talking about the axle - the non-rotating shaft around which the hub rotates on the bearings
The pictures clearly show a hub for a through-axle, These hubs have a hollow outer tube that I called a spindle, for want of a better term (Shimano apparently calls it an axle pipe). This is indeed an axle; however these hubs use something called a through-axle in place of a QR skewer to lock the hub to the fork. The OP's question was about the direction of the axle. If he/she were asking about a through-axle then the direction would be important.

I didn't invent, nor do I support ambiguity in part names. It's something we all have to keep in mind when we post questions here.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 03-28-22, 06:19 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
What is that loop of stuff that is sticking out from the non-brake side? Also on the brake side. Part of the seal? I'd try to fix it if possible.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-28-22, 08:49 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
The thru-axle goes into the brake rotor side of the hub and screws into the drive side fork leg.

Before you do that, check your work. Looks like there's a seal peeking out from under the endcap/locknut assembly:

Last edited by Rolla; 03-28-22 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-28-22, 09:54 PM
Litespud

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
The pictures clearly show a hub for a through-axle, These hubs have a hollow outer tube that I called a spindle, for want of a better term (Shimano apparently calls it an axle pipe). This is indeed an axle; however these hubs use something called a through-axle in place of a QR skewer to lock the hub to the fork. The OP's question was about the direction of the axle. If he/she were asking about a through-axle then the direction would be important.

I didn't invent, nor do I support ambiguity in part names. It's something we all have to keep in mind when we post questions here.
I absolutely agree with you about not supporting ambiguity - that’s why I called it an axle, because there isn’t a better term for it, nor a more correct term for it.

Last edited by Litespud; 03-28-22 at 10:06 PM.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 03-29-22, 05:04 AM
utoner34

1. Sorry if I was not clear, I am not asking about the actual axle which holds the wheel into the fork, obviously it has only one direction and the fork dictates that. I am asking about the direction of the tube (whatever its called) in the hub itself which holds the cones, as you disassemble the hub, you can pull it out both sides. So not sure if this has a direction.

2. I am aware of the seal rubber, its tiny, already stretched out and does not sit tightly in the incut its suppose to be, and as I screw cone nuts back, the grease just keep pushing this rubber out.
Old 03-29-22, 06:30 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by utoner34
1. Sorry if I was not clear, I am not asking about the actual axle which holds the wheel into the fork, obviously it has only one direction and the fork dictates that. I am asking about the direction of the tube (whatever its called) in the hub itself which holds the cones, as you disassemble the hub, you can pull it out both sides. So not sure if this has a direction.

2. I am aware of the seal rubber, its tiny, already stretched out and does not sit tightly in the incut its suppose to be, and as I screw cone nuts back, the grease just keep pushing this rubber out.
you should probably replace that oring then. its clearly "swollen" and no longer going to work.
Old 03-29-22, 06:31 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
On the front it shouldn’t make a difference. On the rear, it probably will. The gear cluster will probably make a difference in cone spacing.

One way to avoid this kind of problem is to pick a side that you always work on. Since the rear is usually worked on on the left side (Coaster brakes are different), work on that side on both the front and rear. That way you avoid any confusion.

The o-ring is likely swollen from the grease. Replace the o-ring to fix the problem.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-29-22, 06:51 AM
Litespud

You were plenty clear. The axle - as in the threaded tube which holds the bearing cones - is usually symmetrical on a rim-braked wheel (I've never disassembled an asymmetrical disk front hub, so I don't know if the innards are also asymmetrical). In your case, it doesn't matter which way around you install the axle, as long as you center it in the wheel (protrudes the same amount on each side). As someone else said, the easiest way to ensure this is to leave one cone and locknut in place when disassembling.

What you refer to as the "actual axle which holds the wheel into the fork" isn't an axle - it's either a quick-release skewer, which can be installed either way but usually with the lever on the left, or a "thru-axle", which can only be installed in one direction as it screws into the fork end on one side. Both are clamping devices, neither are axles, despite the name.
Old 03-30-22, 02:45 AM
utoner34

My lbs says this rubber o ring cannot be ordered. Where to buy alternative?
Old 03-30-22, 08:18 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
Try your local hardware store. Smaller ones might be better than a Big Box. At least they will be more helpful and knowledgeable. If you know the size…ask the shop or the hub manufacturer…you can order one from several suppliers on-line, although you will probably have to order them in anything up to 100 lots.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-30-22, 09:14 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Mcmaster-Carr is a good source. O-rings are spec'd by diameter, thickness, and material (Buna-N is the standard for oil/grease). You should use the groove in the hub to determine the diameter and use a caliper on the ring for the thickness. Price is reasonable even for a bag of 50-100, though shipping may be more than the product price. I have a lot of various o-rings so if you post the size you need, I'll take a look.