Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Going without saddlebag

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Going without saddlebag

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-22, 10:30 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
One of The Rules is being self sufficient, but do you think it’s obnoxious for a rider to go without a saddlebag because they know that if they get a flat someone will be bound to have a spare tube on them?
Yes. Why would someone act in such a way?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 04-08-22 at 08:50 PM.
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 04-08-22, 10:34 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Tell you what - I have a couple saddle bags I'll never use. I'll bring them to the May C&V ride, and if you swing by at the start (10 AM, same place we met a couple months back), you can have one. That way you won't have to "Blanche DuBois" your way through rides.
Awesome reference. Kudos.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-08-22, 10:37 AM
Koyote

There are enough people around here that its fine if you don't stop, someone else will. I ask everyone on the side of the road if they are OK and need help. I don't carry tools or know much about fixing bikes, but want people to know that someone cares and is looking out for them.
Caring is great, but it's even better if you can help the person with their problem.

The problem with your approach, Larry, is that if EVERYONE relies upon the kindness of strangers, then NO ONE will be prepared for a flat tire or other problem.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-08-22, 10:44 AM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I've never thought of being self-sufficient as being a rule. Just a very good idea. If you ride with a group that doesn't care if you have tubes, levers, etc. and you don't mind risking riding solo without said implements it's not for me to tell you what to do. Better to ask those you ride with.
100% Agree.
#1 I ride alone more than half the time.
#2 I live in "fly over" country, where the nearest tube could be 30 miles.
So I had better be self-sufficient on the bike.
Likes For Lambkin55:
Old 04-08-22, 10:45 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
I’m only posting this on the off chance that you have access to the help you need and can use this post as a source of discussion.

Take care of yourself Larry.
If you really think he's On The Spectrum, why don't you just piss off and ignore him instead of announcing your drive-by diagnosis and flouncing?
I bolded the important part. Also, perhaps you could reread the part where I mentioned ignoring his threads.

Your attempt to defend him by attacking me is honorable, and ultimately reveals your decency. I chose to directly address the issue, encourage him to seek help, and wish him well in the process. I think we’re both on the same side here.
Old 04-08-22, 10:48 AM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
One of The Rules is being self sufficient, but do you think it’s obnoxious for a rider to go without a saddlebag because they know that if they get a flat someone will be bound to have a spare tube on them? The only time this didn’t work is when I needed a crescent wrench and didn’t know some multitools have one.
Yes, it's irresponsible to ride in a group and not be prepared to fix the most basic issues and to suck off other riders generosities. We can't prep for every emergency but keeping your bike updated, cleaned, and ready to go will cover most of the bases and a cell phone will cover the rest, why burden the group with your BS.
Old 04-08-22, 10:51 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
I bolded the important part. Also, perhaps you could reread the part where I mentioned ignoring his threads.

Your attempt to defend him by attacking me is honorable, and ultimately reveals your decency. I chose to directly address the issue, encourage him to seek help, and wish him well in the process. I think we’re both on the same side here.
I bet you’re just pack fodder
Old 04-08-22, 10:52 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
These threads are priceless.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-08-22, 11:28 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
This doesn't make sense to me...Why would you carry cash for a tube instead of just carrying a spare tube.
Because cash is lighter weight. Duh!
Old 04-08-22, 11:29 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I'm pretty sure I know who drives a car without a functioning spare tire, jack, and lug wrench, just expecting that somebody will pull over and help them.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 04-08-22, 11:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
I’ve got your self sufficient right here. I’ve even got one dinner and two breakfasts in there. Ate the day’s lunch earlier.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-08-22, 11:39 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Some time back I started a thread about this very thing. I simply dont understand a cyclist that dont carry at least a minimum of things to get them home. I am at the other end of the spectrum, my trunk pack is a mini bike shop, it has tubes tools pumps, and a few spare parts. I have never had to walk home.
And yes I carry 6" crescent wrench. Amazingly enough when I stop to help people it is probably what I have used most.
Old 04-08-22, 11:43 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I carry crypto.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-08-22, 11:47 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I chose to directly address the issue, encourage him to seek help, and wish him well in the process. I think we’re both on the same side here.
That is very kind of you, but continuing to announce it in more threads just seems like calling him the R word. You have made your suggestions, the community has seen your analysis, time to move on.
Old 04-08-22, 11:50 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Riveting
I'm pretty sure I know who drives a car without a functioning spare tire, jack, and lug wrench, just expecting that somebody will pull over and help them.
My new car didn't come with those things. Triple A all the way. And they will actually rescue you if a bike breaks down.
Old 04-08-22, 12:03 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Precisely. Let's all look at the bright side: by dropping eight ounces total, Larry finishes his ride twelve seconds quicker.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 04-08-22, 12:06 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I think there is some correlation about women not wanting to ride with you and not carrying an extra tube or tools to help her if she gets a flat.

In my experience women like guys who are self sufficient with mechanical aptitude. But as it is the two of you will be stuck on the side of the road until a kind soul stops and fixes her flat and the two of them ride off into the sunset.

Somehow a fitting ending.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 04-08-22, 12:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
My new car didn't come with those things. Triple A all the way. And they will actually rescue you if a bike breaks down.
Yeah, but 1) you have to pay for a membership and 2) it is possible to exhaust their kindness. A friend who owned a car with a broken gas gauge used to rely on AAA to rescue him when he ran out of gas, but after a few times they told him to lose their number.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-08-22, 12:27 PM
Koyote

Yeah, but 1) you have to pay for a membership and 2) it is possible to exhaust their kindness. A friend who owned a car with a broken gas gauge used to rely on AAA to rescue him when he ran out of gas, but after a few times they told him to lose their number.
Yeah, I only use AAA as a last-resort -- once in the past 15 yrs or so. That was an incident with TWO destroyed tires and a broken wheel, so the car was getting towed for sure.

On the bike I always carry CO2, a mini-pump, two tubes, patch kit, large multi-tool, etc.
Old 04-08-22, 12:31 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Yes, I like being self-sufficient, and I do have Triple A, but I only plan to use it for a tow for an unfixable mech. failure. One time 30 yrs ago, a new oil filter gasket leaked and the car completely shut down while going 75 mph in the high speed lane on the highway, and I had to roll without power steering to the breakdown lane. That was the first and last time I cashed in on my AAA membership. There's no way I'm "planning" to wait for who knows how long for them to arrive, just to swap a spare tire that I can do in probably less than 10 mins. I just about always carry jumper cables in all of my cars, and have needed to use them several times.

My long-distance saddle bag is crammed full of little things that I'll probably/hopefully never need to use (multi-tool w/chain breaker, quick links, tie-wraps, tire boot, several tube slime patches, 2 extra CO2's, nipple wrench). Sometimes if doing solo rides in somewhat remote areas, I'll strap a spare folding tire to the underside of my saddlebag. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it (within reason, I'm not strapping a 2nd bike to my back).

Last edited by Riveting; 04-08-22 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-08-22, 12:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Yeah, I only use AAA as a last-resort -- once in the past 15 yrs or so. That was an incident with TWO destroyed tires and a broken wheel, so the car was getting towed for sure.
Yikes!
On the bike I always carry CO2, a mini-pump, two tubes, patch kit, large multi-tool, etc.
Back before cell phones were universal, I used to carry one tube. Then I had a flat 6 miles from home which damaged the tire. I booted it and used my spare tube. At 2 miles from home, that blew, boot notwithstanding. I 'clack-clacked' the two miles home. AND started carrying TWO tubes.

Now, with cell phones, I'm back to carrying one. I also gave up on CO2 after TWICE blowing out two cylinders trying to get them in the inflator and yes, I HAD practiced at home. So it's pumps for me, frame or mini, whatever fits.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-08-22, 12:37 PM
Koyote

Yikes!

Back before cell phones were universal, I used to carry one tube. Then I had a flat 6 miles from home which damaged the tire. I booted it and used my spare tube. At 2 miles from home, that blew, boot notwithstanding. I 'clack-clacked' the two miles home. AND started carrying TWO tubes.

Now, with cell phones, I'm back to carrying one. I also gave up on CO2 after TWICE blowing out two cylinders trying to get them in the inflator and yes, I HAD practiced at home. So it's pumps for me, frame or mini, whatever fits.
Yep. And I forgot to mention that I run tubeless on my two main bikes, so punctures are very unlikely -- but if it does happen, it's like catastrophic. So I also carry a couple tire boots and some other bits and bobs.

Anyway, for our shirtless friend Larry, I would recommend starting with a saddle bag stuffed with a tube and couple tire levers along with one of those little inexpensive Lezyne mini-pumps. I mean, you're gonna need a tube eventually anyway, so why not have it? That kit will take care of the (overwhelmingly) most common on-the-road problem.
Old 04-08-22, 01:03 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,856 Times in 3,004 Posts
Yep. And I forgot to mention that I run tubeless on my two main bikes, so punctures are very unlikely -- but if it does happen, it's like catastrophic. So I also carry a couple tire boots and some other bits and bobs.
I run tubeless and until very recently also carried a spare tube and tyre levers. But I've come to the conclusion that I can fix 99% of tubeless flats with a Dynaplug kit and the other 1% I'll just have to call someone or beg a tube. It's never happened yet. It's just a calculated risk and it's not the end of the world if I ever do have to call a taxi.
Old 04-08-22, 01:06 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I run tubeless and until very recently also carried a spare tube and tyre levers. But I've come to the conclusion that I can fix 99% of tubeless flats with a Dynaplug kit and the other 1% I'll just have to call someone or beg a tube. It's never happened yet. It's just a calculated risk and it's not the end of the world if I ever do have to call a taxi.
Yeah, I forgot: I carry the plug kit, too.

I live in a semi-rural area, so uber and other taxis are non-existent. And my wife isn't necessarily able to drop everything in the middle of a workday to come rescue me -- so I try to be self-sufficient. But a good kit doesn't really take much space.
Old 04-08-22, 01:06 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Most of my bikes have these or similar on them https://safetypizza.com/products/safety-shroom
https://safetypizza.com/products/the-safety-s
they aesthetically clash with the saddlebag on my dads bike and I’m worried it will be the same on mine. Apparently they are for safety but I like it when it flutters in the wind, it means I’m fast.

I want helmet streamers but 2 of the lbs don’t have them and I don’t like getting stuff delivered to my house
Likes For LarrySellerz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.