Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Zwift settings/garage - only during an active ride?

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Zwift settings/garage - only during an active ride?

Old 03-10-22, 06:30 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4200 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
I also imagine the product group at Zwift considers changing bikes mid-ride a 'not that often' thing. I mean really, the in-game performance difference isn't that much, unless you're talking mtn bike<->tt bike, but still, I'd suggest the skins and gamification are fun and all, but how many people are changing their bikes every ride to maximize the game engine's calculations? --Are you updating your weight every ride too?

I update my weight every day (my scales sync) and everyone who races should update it every race.

When Zwift has a race in their flagship series (the ZRL - which is run by an outside contractor but Zwift picks the courses) every season that encourages swapping bikes during the race, it kind of makes it clear that they expect you to swap bikes occasionally. They seem to think that it's a big enough draw that they keep adding new bikes.
Likes For himespau:
Old 03-10-22, 08:01 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
that's just it, adding bikes is easy, adding new useful features...not so much.
Old 03-11-22, 09:54 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,666 Times in 2,497 Posts
Going totally off topic, why is the weather nice on days when France is one of the guest worlds?
Old 03-11-22, 10:30 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Going totally off topic, why is the weather nice on days when France is one of the guest worlds?
Or why is France never the guest world when I have the time and a long Z2 ride scheduled? I only have Tire Bouchon left to complete before I can mark all the France routes as done, and every time France is on a weekend, I have something come up or a kid that needs attention and the ride gets aborted.
Likes For himespau:
Old 03-11-22, 11:09 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Or why is France never the guest world when I have the time and a long Z2 ride scheduled? I only have Tire Bouchon left to complete before I can mark all the France routes as done, and every time France is on a weekend, I have something come up or a kid that needs attention and the ride gets aborted.
do you know about the zwift world hack that allows you to ride in any world you choose?

https://zwiftinsider.com/world-tag/

i was so happy to find this when i did.
Likes For spelger:
Old 03-11-22, 11:20 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by spelger
do you know about the zwift world hack that allows you to ride in any world you choose?

https://zwiftinsider.com/world-tag/

i was so happy to find this when i did.
I do and have used meet ups to get to empty worlds before (or to start Lutscher without the lead in), but on a 2-ish hour ride, I'd prefer not to be alone. Probably will have to do that at some point and just throw a movie on. My trainer broke on Tuesday night, so I'm without a trainer until I can get a new one in anyway. Hopefully, Zwift will ship the Direto I just bought from them on sale rapidly, but, from what I've heard, that's not likely.
Likes For himespau:
Old 03-11-22, 11:49 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

My trainer broke on Tuesday night, so I'm without a trainer until I can get a new one in anyway. Hopefully, Zwift will ship the Direto I just bought from them on sale rapidly, but, from what I've heard, that's not likely.
What trainer did you have and what broke? I never paid attention to zwift selling hardware, but they sent an email promoting a sale on a steering device for a reasonable price. I definitely thought about it.
Old 03-11-22, 12:45 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by unterhausen
What trainer did you have and what broke? I never paid attention to zwift selling hardware, but they sent an email promoting a sale on a steering device for a reasonable price. I definitely thought about it.
Not strictly a trainer. I have been riding on Sportcrafters rollers (with a progressive resistance roller) that was on a platform I built to provide forward and aft motion. Since I never managed to learn proper roller balance, I ride it with a fork stand.

Anyway, the fork stand is made with a round tube that holds the quick release in place and the tube runs through the 2 rectangular supports that make up the stand:

About a year ago, the welds holding the two rectangular supports together cracked (I'm a hefty guy who is also tall, rides tall frames and likes to try to sprint, so long lever lots of force). The person who makes/sells these said that he no longer made them so couldn't sell me a replacement but graciously rewelded the tubes back together and repainted it (for free) and shipped it back to me.

After another year of hard treatment, the round central tube holding the quick release broke loose and started rocking up and down a bit when I put heavy force on it. The repeated impacts of that led to the metal tubes above the tube getting cracks as they were slammed into over and over and forced to flex. I didn't notice it until after the last ride when the plastic end caps at the top of the tubes had gotten knocked out by all the flexing. Both tubes on at least the outer, visible face have enough cracks (in a V or diamond shape) that run all the way to the top or almost all the way that I expect a few more hard sprints (or easy rides at this point if I'm not perfectly motionless) would lead to the metal above the central tube breaking free and me tipping over.

To be fair to the manufacturer, when I told him last time how I used the fork stand, he told me that it was intended for short term use as a training aid to learn to ride rollers and not for riding thousands of km of doing races, sprints and intervals and suggested another solution before welding it back together. Honestly, it's a setup I've really enjoyed - forward and backward motion from my platform, some side to side motion as the back wheel rides the roller, increased resistance as wheelspeed increases, very low wear on the tires compared to wheel on trainers, very easy to get on and off, no need to do spindown calibrations (just hit the calibrate power meter button on my garmin for my pedals or powertap hub), same powermeter indoors as out, not much more noise than my drive train (and less than the box fan that's 3 feet from me (probably louder than the used kickr headwind I found locally at a great price but not terribly so).

I figured if I was going to have to get a new trainer, I wanted a smart, direct drive trainer. While I would have wanted a Wahoo Kickr, that was probably beyond what my wife would have agreed to spend (especially if I wanted to go all out and get a Climb too). When I saw Zwift was offering the Elite Direto XR for $650, I ordered one. Figured if I wanted to be able to steer or have the elevation of the front of the bike change, I could try getting a Rizer down the road (appears that I could get it shipped from Europe for ~$700 compared to buying it locally for almost as much as the Wahoo Kickr I decided was too expensive).
Old 03-11-22, 04:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I think calling that a training aid is a bit optimistic because it's never going to help you learn how to use rollers. OTOH, without it, I'm not sure how well rollers work at high watts or out of the saddle. Seems like you could only get big watts by spinning, and what's the fun in that. I don't have any trouble riding rollers without aid, but I could never get a decent workout with them, personality defect no doubt.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-12-22, 11:21 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4276 Post(s)
Liked 4,720 Times in 2,915 Posts

I figured if I was going to have to get a new trainer, I wanted a smart, direct drive trainer. While I would have wanted a Wahoo Kickr, that was probably beyond what my wife would have agreed to spend (especially if I wanted to go all out and get a Climb too). When I saw Zwift was offering the Elite Direto XR for $650, I ordered one. Figured if I wanted to be able to steer or have the elevation of the front of the bike change, I could try getting a Rizer down the road (appears that I could get it shipped from Europe for ~$700 compared to buying it locally for almost as much as the Wahoo Kickr I decided was too expensive).
You will be fine with the Direto XR, it's a very solid trainer and just as capable as a Kickr. The Rizer however is ridiculously over-priced.
Old 03-12-22, 11:32 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by PeteHski
The Rizer however is ridiculously over-priced.
Yeah, especially at the $1100 list. IF I can really get it in the $6-700 range where I'm seeing it at one sale, that's roughly equivalent to the price of a Kickr Climb plus a Sterzo Smart (still overpriced just as I think both of those are overpriced, but maybe more within an amount I'd be willing to spend). My current (broken) setup has a lot of motion as the entire thing moves forward and backward with my surges (unless I lock out the wheels) and the rear of the bike moves side to side a fair bit. I'm not really looking forward to losing that motion, so I was looking at rocker plates, but was wondering if the Rizer, with it's ability to turn and the fact that it moves up and down, would provide some motion for me in a different way that would be good enough.
Old 03-21-22, 07:00 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
So are you always joining group rides late then? If you join a group ride at the start then you can change your bike in the holding pen while warming up.
I haven't been able to verify this, but a little quirk with Zwift, if you join a ride and go to the pen with a certain bike, but then change bikes while waiting in the pen, the other riders don't see the new bike but the one you originally have. Supposedly a psych maneuver to join a hill climbing event on what might appear to be a MTB, when really you're riding a Tron or whatnot.
Old 05-09-22, 09:38 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Looks like Zwift solved this with the recent update. I can now access the garage without needing to start a ride first, which is nice for those who frequently switch between TT and road bikes, or MTB/gravel, etc.