Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fixed Gear chain link question

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 06-17-15, 11:18 PM
Bakersb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've googled whether it is safe to frequently connect and disconnect a master link, but many sources said it depended on the chain and the speed.

If I were using two Izumi V chains, and I used a standard 1 1/8 KMC masterlink, would it be possible to disassemble the masterlink frequently? I have a 47x20t freewheel configuration and a 47x17t fixed gear configuration I would like to switch between frequently(somewhat), and I don't want to take out pins every time I need a longer/shorter chain. Would a masterlink be an appropriate solution to this? I've heard that you should've reuse a masterlink that you have taken apart. I would prefer not to buy a new masterlink everytime I switch but I guess that is okay.

Basically, is it safe to disassemble and re-connect masterlinks frequently on a 1 1/8 track chain? If not, what are other solutions?

Thanks and sorry for the noob question, happy riding!
Old 06-17-15, 11:28 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
Regular masterlinks are secured with a spring clip that can be reused indefinitely as long as you don't damage it. There are quicklinks that are used mostly on derailleur chains that you are not supposed to reuse, but they are totally different animals from masterlinks.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 06-18-15, 08:10 AM
nripin

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TejanoTrackie is right you would be fine with a spring clip master link, images are in link How to Use a Quick Release Chain Link - Bicycle Tutor Video
Old 06-18-15, 08:41 AM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Are the dropouts not large enough to handle the chain length difference between the 17 and 20? I guess i just picture having the axle towards the end of the dropouts with the 17t and then when switching to the 20t you'd just slide the axle forward to gain some slack back in the chain. You wouldnt have to undo the chain at all for a situation like that.

Originally Posted by Bakersb
I've googled whether it is safe to frequently connect and disconnect a master link, but many sources said it depended on the chain and the speed.

If I were using two Izumi V chains, and I used a standard 1 1/8 KMC masterlink, would it be possible to disassemble the masterlink frequently? I have a 47x20t freewheel configuration and a 47x17t fixed gear configuration I would like to switch between frequently(somewhat), and I don't want to take out pins every time I need a longer/shorter chain. Would a masterlink be an appropriate solution to this? I've heard that you should've reuse a masterlink that you have taken apart. I would prefer not to buy a new masterlink everytime I switch but I guess that is okay.

Basically, is it safe to disassemble and re-connect masterlinks frequently on a 1 1/8 track chain? If not, what are other solutions?

Thanks and sorry for the noob question, happy riding!
Old 06-18-15, 09:55 AM
d1961

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
^Me too on this^
Old 06-18-15, 01:11 PM
Bakersb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

Sadly I couldn't get the chain to fit both (or atleast with ease). If the 17t was on with the wheel furthest away on the dropouts, the 20t could fit, yes, but it was slammed so much that with the wheel furthest in to the dropout, I still could not nudge the chain off the chainring or freewheel. It would get stuck and start scratching into the cog or chainring when taking the chain off. I'd then be forced to use a chainbreaker to take off the chain.

I've decided to buy two masterlinks and use two chains. Thanks again for the advice, here's the bike finished with brakes and cables routed! Pretty happy with how it turned out. I will be commuting in SF everyday, hence the need for a freewheel with a lower ratio. Camera Upload - Album on Imgur

Last edited by Bakersb; 06-18-15 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-08-22, 10:11 PM
caspa1001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow.

Really killer Fixie bud. I imagine that beaut is one.fun ride. Jod well done.