Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help Identify This Tandem

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-22, 08:55 AM
puffnut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

Was hoping for some help identifying this tandem frame that I've just bought.
It takes 26" wheels, that's about all I know!

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-23-22, 04:24 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Unsure on brand, but I'm not especially comfortable with that captain's seatpost. I don't know if it was slipping because it is the wrong diameter post or for some other reason, but drilling holes in the seatpost and frame doesn't strike me as the safest or most proper solution.
Old 04-23-22, 09:47 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
It looks a lot like our 1997 Nashbar tandem which is really a KHS. It is not exactly like ours - which has vertical rear dropouts. If yours takes 26 in wheels I'll bet it is the same just a slightly earlier version.
Old 04-24-22, 12:47 AM
lichtgrau

Bikes: (Ti) Rabbit "soulmate" plus half a dozen "half bikes"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
The welded joints look... partly special. Doesn't mean anything regarding function but I was even thinking if this could be home-made by some talented do-it-yourselfer...
Likes For lichtgrau:
Old 04-24-22, 12:48 AM
puffnut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
Unsure on brand, but I'm not especially comfortable with that captain's seatpost. I don't know if it was slipping because it is the wrong diameter post or for some other reason, but drilling holes in the seatpost and frame doesn't strike me as the safest or most proper solution.
Completely agree, it is quite suspect! I have a replacement seat post that fits well, and as it's above the line of the top tube, I'm not worried about it. It seems like the previous owner decided it was better to drill a hole than get the correct size clamp! Luckily I got it very cheap.
Old 04-24-22, 12:49 AM
puffnut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chilepines
It looks a lot like our 1997 Nashbar tandem which is really a KHS. It is not exactly like ours - which has vertical rear dropouts. If yours takes 26 in wheels I'll bet it is the same just a slightly earlier version.
okay thank you I'll have a look and see if I can match it up to anything.
Old 04-24-22, 12:50 AM
puffnut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lichtgrau
The welded joints look... partly special. Doesn't mean anything regarding function but I was even thinking if this could be home-made by some talented do-it-yourselfer...
yes perhaps, although at least it's not two singles welded together...
Old 04-26-22, 12:43 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I don't think that bike is home made, but it has been modified. It isn't ancient, but it has not been well stored. I fear it is beyond redemption. Not sure what the o.p. is after in choosing this frame to be the foundation of their build project but it will need a LOT of hard to find vintage running gear to be road ready. Seriously, cut your losses and invest the energy (and $$) in a production bike from the early 90's onward.
Old 04-26-22, 01:12 AM
puffnut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I don't think that bike is home made, but it has been modified. It isn't ancient, but it has not been well stored. I fear it is beyond redemption. Not sure what the o.p. is after in choosing this frame to be the foundation of their build project but it will need a LOT of hard to find vintage running gear to be road ready. Seriously, cut your losses and invest the energy (and $$) in a production bike from the early 90's onward.
To be honest I've given up hope working out what it is, I've decided to name it myself.
As for running gear, it's now repainted (pretty badly) with hammerite and half built up from spare parts I had lying around. So it's all pretty standard. I'm just after a bit of fun really

Old 04-30-22, 12:30 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 129 Posts
Not trying to be overly negative or elitist here, but it must be said...

Those welds are horrendously scary! No way would Nashbar or KHS put that quality on the market! (And I sold KHS in the 80's when their quality was bad, but not THAT bad. They actually used lugs that looked pretty good.) This looks like a bargain-basement big-box frame that was welded by half-wits. I'd NEVER trust it with my soul and that of my stoker's! MAYBE for only the most casual beach cruising. But any hills or potential speed? No way. And the stoker saddle height looks like this might be intended for a larger rider. Nope, that would make that thing noodle like crazy!
Likes For LV2TNDM:
Old 07-02-22, 10:07 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts
I had this Nashbar 10000X tandem a couple years ago. Note the marathon tube is in a different location. The Nashbar has a U brake on the back, larger boob tube, a 1.5" steerer (and over-over sized stem), and insanely long top tube. I had to source a shorter stem from England so I could reach the bars. Sold it because it was just toooooooooo long. Built in the days of the superman position on racing mountain bikes.

IMO what you have is a home built using a stock mtb for the rear triangle and fork. Home build doesn't have to mean junk every time. Okay usually franken tandems are pretty bad. I've built a few myself from singles. (And a quad from 2 tandems). The derailleur as connecting chain tensioner is totally home built. I've owned quite a few other commercially produced and custom frame builder built tandems and have been riding them since 1974. Home builds are pretty obvious.

Have any close ups of the welds and serial number?