Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

heeelp!! my handle grips is melting

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-22, 02:08 PM
ggbo951a

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Already did some online search it appears it usually due to heat. we went AZ trip this summer and it melted bad and very sticky and after ride, black residues are all over my palm. I went to REI the guy pointed me to new grips but he said all has similar melting point considering similar design, composition of materials.
I am just wondering what other options available? Any grips that does not melt at all perhaps up to 150F is fair deal. We went through 116F degree Death Valley trips.
I am thinking about like gloves or some sort of wraps around handles but that is all some extra stuff to carry around in addition to already lot of "stuff" i have.
Old 07-16-22, 05:38 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
How old were the grips? Soft rubber of the grips eventually deteriorates with age, stains hands, etc. People ride all kinds of bikes at places where >40C temperatures are a plain everyday occurrence, keep their bikes outside and their grips stay fine unless those grips get overly old.
Old 07-20-22, 10:54 PM
ggbo951a

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
How old were the grips? Soft rubber of the grips eventually deteriorates with age, stains hands, etc. People ride all kinds of bikes at places where >40C temperatures are a plain everyday occurrence, keep their bikes outside and their grips stay fine unless those grips get overly old.
fairly old, owned the bike for 2-3 years now. pretty sturdy mountain bike except the handle issue described herein.
Old 07-21-22, 07:33 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
You don't mention what type of grips are on your bike. Are they simple grips that slide on and off the handlebars or part of the shift mechanism such as Grip Shifters. You can always use the same type rubber grips or switch to foam grips. Two the three years is not a long time for grips to last before going south. Must be a bad choice on the part of the manufacturer. It was 111 degrees outside yesterday and my bikes and trikes are regularly exposed to those temperatures without doing anything to the grips.
Here is what I have on my Balance 450 MTB https://www.ebay.com/itm/283529802678 $7.43 postpaid. They have been on the bike for at least a couple of years now with no deterioration.
Old 07-21-22, 03:04 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
I've never used them but search for silicone bike grips. Silicone has a high service temp and should be able to handle the worst desert heat.