Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Determine if Counterfeit

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Determine if Counterfeit

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-22, 09:46 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
I use eBay pretty much exclusively. Great place to find vintage gear at good prices. I’m running DA 7400/7700. No one is counterfeiting that stuff, lol!
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-31-22, 10:52 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,992 Times in 2,664 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
So, do you hate eBay and Amazon or not? You said no, but now it sounds like a definite maybe.

You are correct, it is up to me. I have an absolutely awesome LBS. I generally will make the drive there (15 miles or so) when I need something…if they show it in stock. If they don’t, I’ll hit eBay or Amazon because it’s fast and easy. My LBS has somehow survived.
Amazon yes eBay not so much but in the end they are a multi-billion dollar corporation. Ebay has some smaller sellers that have vintage parts that are sometimes handy but I really don't do a ton of stuff on eBay. To avoid counterfeit stuff for sure you want to avoid those two places for new stuff just be more sure.
Old 07-31-22, 12:25 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you would rather not do counterfeits the easy way to do that is to buy from an authorized dealer...
I agree... But times are a changing. Just who is an Authorized Dealer? And just how often are the Authorized Dupped? All in all it appears to be a tough business for everyone...
Old 07-31-22, 06:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,992 Times in 2,664 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I agree... But times are a changing. Just who is an Authorized Dealer? And just how often are the Authorized Dupped? All in all it appears to be a tough business for everyone...
Those who are authorized by the manufacturer to sell their products and buy their products from either the manufacturer or a distributor who get their products from that manufacturer.

It is a tough business but one should not need to be duped if everyone is buying legit products from the manufacturer or distributor.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-02-22, 12:01 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you would rather not do counterfeits the easy way to do that is to buy from an authorized dealer. I prefer not to do counterfeits as well so I avoid eBay and places like that for the new stuff. Plenty of bike shops that sell Shimano and if you are desperate to avoid human interaction there are even some brick and mortars that have an online presence or if you really hate bike shops entirely there are even some actual legit online only stores.
Lots of ebay sellers of new stuff are bonafide established sellers (as opposed to John Doe, individual guy). Also, many are tagged as "Authorized Seller". I have no idea how that designation comes into play, but in hundreds of purchases since the 90s, I've never had any issues with EBay new products being counterfeit.

Seems like making a very, very rare issue to be significant, which it isn't.

Last edited by Camilo; 08-02-22 at 12:07 AM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 08-02-22, 10:40 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Lots of ebay sellers of new stuff are bonafide established sellers (as opposed to John Doe, individual guy). Also, many are tagged as "Authorized Seller". I have no idea how that designation comes into play, but in hundreds of purchases since the 90s, I've never had any issues with EBay new products being counterfeit.

Seems like making a very, very rare issue to be significant, which it isn't.
Not so. Fraudulent products are a huge issue on eBay. One example:

Ultegra PD-R8000 Pedals Road Bike Clipless Pedals with SPD-SL R8000 Cleats Pedal | eBay
Purchase these pedals and let us know what you receive. These deals are rampant on eBay and are listed as authentic Shimano.

Here's a set with very authentic-looking packaging. My buddy bought a similar set for less than $100 and the spindle and bearings flew out of the right pedal on the first ride. He nearly crashed.
Shimano Ultegra PD-R8000 SPD-SL Carbon Pedal 9/16" Road Bike Cycling SH11 Cleat 692757023618 | eBay

Here's a real set, from an authorized dealer and NOT on EBay:
Shimano Ultegra PD-R8000 Pedals - Components (competitivecyclist.com)
News Flash: If you're paying half price for your new Shimano pedals, you are purchasing counterfeit junk from China.

Last edited by redcon1; 08-02-22 at 11:17 AM.
Likes For redcon1:
Old 08-02-22, 10:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1
Not so. Fraudulent products are a huge issue on eBay.
A long time ago I bought a saddle off eBay. Allegedly a Selle Italia. The thing started wearing almost immediately and was toast before the end of the summer. I am sure it was fake.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-02-22, 01:07 PM
Camilo

Ultegra PD-R8000 Pedals Road Bike Clipless Pedals with SPD-SL R8000 Cleats Pedal | eBay
Purchase these pedals and let us know what you receive. These deals are rampant on eBay and are listed as authentic Shimano.

Here's a set with very authentic-looking packaging. My buddy bought a similar set for less than $100 and the spindle and bearings flew out of the right pedal on the first ride. He nearly crashed.
Shimano Ultegra PD-R8000 SPD-SL Carbon Pedal 9/16" Road Bike Cycling SH11 Cleat 692757023618 | eBay

News Flash: If you're paying half price for your new Shimano pedals, you are purchasing counterfeit junk from China.
Huge? I guess I'll take your word for it, but I'd like to know what portion of new item sales are fraudulent. I don't dispute there are some, and it's a huge problem for those victimized. But out of millions of transactions, is it really a huge problem? That a problem exists doesn't make it huge.
Old 08-02-22, 01:13 PM
smd4

They are listed as "unbranded." And I don't see "Shimano" anywhere in the listing (Pretty sure 'Shima" doesn't count).

It's simple...Don't be an uneducated idiot. Buyer beware.
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-02-22, 01:17 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by smd4
They are listed as "unbranded." And I don't see "Shimano" anywhere in the listing (Pretty sure 'Shima" doesn't count).

It's simple...Don't be an uneducated idiot. Buyer beware.
Plus a seller with an 86% feedback rating? Please.

The very first review in the feedback listed:
"Horrible item… LOOKS NOTHING LIKE PICTURED!! It is cheap plastic material! You would swear to death trying to wear something like this! Picture looks like a tshirt this looks like a plastic trash bag.. DO NOT BUY!!!!"

Yes, I guess it is fraud, but the real problem is stupid buyers. Just like someone who would think they're actually buying a Rolex out of the trunk of a car.
Old 08-02-22, 02:09 PM
redcon1

Originally Posted by Camilo
Plus a seller with an 86% feedback rating? Please.

The very first review in the feedback listed:
"Horrible item… LOOKS NOTHING LIKE PICTURED!! It is cheap plastic material! You would swear to death trying to wear something like this! Picture looks like a tshirt this looks like a plastic trash bag.. DO NOT BUY!!!!"

Yes, I guess it is fraud, but the real problem is stupid buyers. Just like someone who would think they're actually buying a Rolex out of the trunk of a car.
Ok the first one was a gimme from a quick search to make my point. And even though the seller listed as ULTEGRA and SPD-SL, which I'm sure are trademarked by Shimano, seller declared them to be Unbranded.

Are you ignoring the second link though: (and you can find many others in your own search):

Pretty convincing writeup and pictures, huh? And yet, 100% counterfeit, In eBay searches for Shimano Ultegra pedals alone, please count how many are authentic and how many are counterfeit. Hell, now people are re-selling the counterfeit versions they purchased and misidentifying them as original.

BTW, My friend's reasoning for purchase was, "So what if they are made in and shipped from China.' Aren't all Shimano OEM parts made in China"? As a side note, he also reported the seller and the goods as counterfeit. Today's quick search told me eBay is doing nothing.

Last edited by redcon1; 08-02-22 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-02-22, 02:15 PM
smd4

Pretty convincing writeup and pictures, huh? And yet, 100% counterfeit,
So what gave it away?

"You are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee- eBay Money Back Guarantee - opens in a new tab or window if you receive an item that is not as described in the listing."

Sounds pretty foolproof to me...
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-02-22, 02:38 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts

The real pedals have the Shimano Ultegra label on it. The 'fake' ones clearly do not have any Ultegra or Shimano labels on it.

Old 08-03-22, 06:10 AM
redcon1

The real pedals have the Shimano Ultegra label on it. The 'fake' ones clearly do not have any Ultegra or Shimano labels on it.
Did you even look at the links I posted?
Old 08-03-22, 06:40 AM
smd4

So are you going to tell us what gave it away to you? So others won't be similarly fooled?

And why--even if you are fooled--you can't take advantage of eBay's refund guarantee?
Old 08-03-22, 07:07 AM
redcon1

Originally Posted by smd4
So are you going to tell us what gave it away to you? So others won't be similarly fooled?

And why--even if you are fooled--you can't take advantage of eBay's refund guarantee?
As I said initially, what gave it away was the one pedal that blew apart on the first ride. He took the pedals and packaging to a local shop and they couldn't believe the level of detail in the fake packaging.

An eBay complaint to the seller required him to return the defective pedal in for inspection - only the defective one, for a possible replacement. The cost was prohibitive to ship back to China, so he chalked it up to a lesson learned.
The seller never acknowledged his claim, backed by the shop, that they were counterfeit items. And eBay dropped the whole issue when he didn't return the defective part.

In my own experience, eBay's guarantees are not worth much.
Likes For redcon1:
Old 08-06-22, 12:38 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
The seller never acknowledged his claim, backed by the shop, that they were counterfeit items. And eBay dropped the whole issue when he didn't return the defective part.

In my own experience, eBay's guarantees are not worth much.
Same here. I got a clearly poor copy of some Avid brake levers a couple years ago. The back and forth,and a return, just wasnt worth the effort,and I ended up eating the loss. I'm currently after a certain 9 speed shifter, and though my best option is being shipped from the US,the vendor is out of Hong Kong, and was uncomfortably vague with answers to my questions. There are numerous sales right now on ebay claiming to be this shifter, but for a fraction of any typical price.......and all coming from china. Nope !
Likes For Brocephus: