Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strava needs to upgrade "Today" to "On the day"

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-31-22, 05:54 AM
Grotug

Bikes: Scott Addict Team Issue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts

On Strava you can see how you did against other people on a segment, for "all time, "this year" and "today". But when Tomorrow comes you can no longer compare how you did against others on the day you rode the segment. Strava really needs to upgrade the "today" segment filter to "on the day". Do you agree? Because the next day comes and I want to see how I did against others on the day of the event I participated in, but I can no longer get that filter because "today" ended.

Anyway, I'm finally figuring out this training thing and am seeing new heights to my fitness (which, apparently, no one cares about when they are suffering on a tough ride). Actually, the aid station guy didn't seem to care, either, and seemed to be making a special effort not to be friendly to me. I guess it's faux pax in general to share your enthusiasm about achieving new fitness heights to others. :confused:

Last edited by Grotug; 07-31-22 at 05:54 AM. Reason: changed the word "stats" to "filter"
Likes For Grotug:
Old 07-31-22, 08:28 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I don't personally see the need for it, but you can make the suggestion to Strava on their forum - https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...t-Leaderboards
Old 07-31-22, 09:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Not sure I see the value in that. But if you do, you need to let Strava know. Not me as I use RideWithGPS.com.
Old 07-31-22, 05:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Have to agree with the others about not seeing a need. If you want to capture your time and others for that day or time, take a screen shot and you will have it forever.

Sounds to me like you are a bit bitter that people you encounter aren’t sharing your enthusiasm about your increased fitness. As a general rule, strangers aren’t typically your best source for encouragement. Rather riding buddies or peers who ride are better at cudos or giving you crap. I belonged to a cycling club and got plenty of encouragement from my pals. Being on Strava and hooking up with local cyclists that way, I still get encouragement on PRs, great routes I devise or major mileage. You just need to develop some friends to compete with and they will be a good source of the encouragement and acknowledgement you are seeking. Keep improving your fitness, join a club or start finding locals on Strava and you might get some good buddies.

Old 08-01-22, 01:44 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
I wish strava had it also. I have found myself wanting to check strava often before midnight.
Old 08-01-22, 06:02 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
Is it because on that particular day you did well and want to save/savor the moment?
If so maybe just take a screen shot.
I don't see the need either but you can make the suggestion to Strava.
The aid station person may not be a rider at all, just a volunteer...thank the volunteers, without them most events would never happen.
Old 08-06-22, 08:46 AM
RyderKeepUp

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Site/app desperately needs a dark mode.
Likes For RyderKeepUp:
Old 08-06-22, 08:52 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Since we are wishing out loud, I would like to see not just the overall KOMs and QOMs but the same for the age brackets. Comparing a 70 YOs best time on a segment to a 20 YOs is not a level playing field.

Old 08-06-22, 08:55 AM
RyderKeepUp

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Since we are wishing out loud, I would like to see not just the overall KOMs and QOMs but the same for the age brackets. Comparing a 70 YOs best time on a segment to a 20 YOs is not a level playing field.
Also wish there was a way to filter out all of the e-bikes/scooters/literal dirt bikes - leaderboard full of 50-60KMH+ speeds
Likes For RyderKeepUp:
Old 08-06-22, 08:58 AM
WhyFi

Both Age Group and Weight Class breakdowns are available if you're a paying subscriber; you just don't get the flash hardware and accompanying adulation.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-06-22, 09:01 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by RyderKeepUp
Also wish there was a way to filter out all of the e-bikes/scooters/literal dirt bikes - leaderboard full of 50-60KMH+ speeds
There's a e-bike class for bikes and they shouldn't be on the same boards, if the user has their equipment entered properly. If they don't have it entered properly, just flag the rides, assuming you have enough evidence to back it up.
Old 08-06-22, 09:28 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

AND, since I am whining (and thanks for the replies) it would be great if there was an algorithm that would flag best times ridden with another Strava user/s versus no flag for a solo rider. Too many best times are logged in a group ride where drafting is involved. Picky picky.

And it is clearly evident that not everyone uses of even knows about Strava or even wants it, so there could also be rides with multiple riders where only one getting the KOM is using it but benefiting by the pack, so my concern is probably mute.

Last edited by rsbob; 08-06-22 at 09:31 AM. Reason: I know…
Old 08-06-22, 09:50 AM
WhyFi

AND, since I am whining (and thanks for the replies) it would be great if there was an algorithm that would flag best times ridden with another Strava user/s versus no flag for a solo rider. Too many best times are logged in a group ride where drafting is involved. Picky picky.

And it is clearly evident that not everyone uses of even knows about Strava or even wants it, so there could also be rides with multiple riders where only one getting the KOM is using it but benefiting by the pack, so my concern is probably mute.
That would be cool, I've thought about that, too, but I think that it would be impossible to enforce and would be a slippery slope, as well.

First, not everybody out there is on Strava - with no intended shenanigans, someone might find themselves in a small group but the only one uploading to Strava. Are they supposed to self-police? I don't see that happening. Then, there'd be the people gaming it - enlisting a buddy or three to help them make a run at this or that solo segment by switching off their devices. How do you catch that?

Further down the line, I think it leads to stuff like the influence of wind. "That guy had a 20mph tail wind - no fair!" or even the opposite "I had a 20mph head wind - I should get more credit!"

Yeah. Nah.

Last edited by WhyFi; 08-06-22 at 01:26 PM.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-06-22, 01:26 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by WhyFi
That would be cool, I've thought about that, too, but I think that it would be impossible to enforce and would be a slippery slope, as well.

First, not everybody out there is on Strava - with no intended shenanigans, someone might find themselves in a small group but the only one uploading to Strava. Are they supposed to self-police? I don't see that happening. Then, they're be the people gaming it - enlisting a buddy or three to help them make a run at this or that solo segment by switching off their devices. How do you catch that?

Further down the line, I think it leads to stuff like the influence of wind. "That guy had a 20mph tail wind - no fair!" or even the opposite "I had a 20mph head wind - I should get more credit!"

Yeah. Nah.
You absolutely nailed it.

Ran into a guy half-way on yesterday’s ride who has locked down most of the fastest local times in the 65-70 bracket. As a correctly surmised, he is a former racer and is still amazingly strong 74 YO and thankfully in a new bracket. Found out from him a number of his PRs were done riding with others, some 20 years younger. So chasing a KOM for the bracket can be stacked by the trained athlete, especially in an non-solo ride or as you say, with a 20 MPH tailwind. So got to keep it all in perspective and just compete against myself, and if a prevailing wind helps me out, I won’t complain.

Old 08-06-22, 01:36 PM
WhyFi

You absolutely nailed it.

Ran into a guy half-way on yesterday’s ride who has locked down most of the fastest local times in the 65-70 bracket. As a correctly surmised, he is a former racer and is still amazingly strong 74 YO and thankfully in a new bracket. Found out from him a number of his PRs were done riding with others, some 20 years younger. So chasing a KOM for the bracket can be stacked by the trained athlete, especially in an non-solo ride or as you say, with a 20 MPH tailwind. So got to keep it all in perspective and just compete against myself, and if a prevailing wind helps me out, I won’t complain.
Yeah, that's much like a lady that I ride with on occasion when on vacation. She is, no doubt, a strong rider, regardless of age or gender.... BUT, she has a *ton* of QOMs not because she's just that beastly, but because she's really the only female strong enough and/or willing to ride with the faster groups in the area.

And yeah - PRs are a good place to be. Seeing progression is rewarding and, even if some of those PRs were with the aid of favorable conditions, if you keep improving your fitness, you'll eventually see favorable conditions again and push those PRs even further.
Old 08-06-22, 01:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Yeah, that's much like a lady that I ride with on occasion when on vacation. She is, no doubt, a strong rider, regardless of age or gender.... BUT, she has a *ton* of QOMs not because she's just that beastly, but because she's really the only female strong enough and/or willing to ride with the faster groups in the area.

And yeah - PRs are a good place to be. Seeing progression is rewarding and, even if some of those PRs were with the aid of favorable conditions, if you keep improving your fitness, you'll eventually see favorable conditions again and push those PRs even further.
Being 67 pushing 68 in 5 months, the discouraging thing was reading and hearing from my new friend was at 68 his performance fell off a cliff. At least he is still out there doing it and enjoying himself. I know I don’t have nearly the power or stamina back in my 30s but a major downside would be a real drag. Will just keep at it and hopefully will push the cliff a few years out. Regards

Old 08-06-22, 01:45 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by Grotug
On Strava you can see how you did against other people on a segment, for "all time, "this year" and "today". But when Tomorrow comes you can no longer compare how you did against others on the day you rode the segment. Strava really needs to upgrade the "today" segment filter to "on the day". Do you agree?
No, I do not agree. But if it’s really bothering you, just ride the segment again tomorrow; problem solved.

Pay a subscription fee and all your dreams will come true.
Old 08-06-22, 01:53 PM
Koyote

I agree with WhyFi that this would be impractical for several reasons… But I do see your point. During Covid, when most races were canceled, I started hunting KOMs as a way to stay fit and sharp. One day, over halfway through a 75 mile training ride, I worked my tail off to nab a KOM that was about 5 miles long. A few months later, I got the notification that it had been taken from me… And when I checked the leaderboard I found that I was in 11th place! A group of 10 riders had attacked it while working together. They had each beat me by only a few seconds. I did consider commenting on their rides – – something snarky like, “it took 10 of you to beat me?“

Yes, I am a small and petty man. But not that small and petty.
Old 08-06-22, 04:07 PM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Out of curiosity, why do so many people say no? Not like it affects you if this feature is introduced, you can choose not to use it.

Personally, I like the idea. It makes little sense to have a today ranking that then just disappears if you check it after midnight.
Old 08-06-22, 04:19 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Out of curiosity, why do so many people say no? Not like it affects you if this feature is introduced, you can choose not to use it.
Are you not reading carefully enough? Almost everyone that has said "no," actually said something along the lines of, "I don't see a need for it myself, but knock yourself out." I even provided a link for him/her to make the suggestion to people that might actually get the ball rolling - what more do you want?
Old 08-06-22, 04:28 PM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Are you not reading carefully enough? Almost everyone that has said "no," actually said something along the lines of, "I don't see a need for it myself, but knock yourself out." I even provided a link for him/her to make the suggestion to people that might actually get the ball rolling - what more do you want?
Because the title of this thread is "Strava needs to update..." and people are replying "no". Yes, you did provide a link, but given the thread title, I am curious so many people came here to just post no. I usually don't click on things I am not interested in. Unless I specifically am interested in the opposite.
Old 08-06-22, 04:52 PM
WhyFi

Because the title of this thread is "Strava needs to update..." and people are replying "no". Yes, you did provide a link, but given the thread title, I am curious so many people came here to just post no. I usually don't click on things I am not interested in. Unless I specifically am interested in the opposite.
The question is "Strava needs to do ______. Do you agree?"

People are answering honestly in saying that, no they don't agree. They're not saying that it shouldn't be implemented and they're helping the guy get his suggestion to somebody that can do something about it. What's the problem?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-06-22, 08:20 PM
Koyote

Did you even read the original post? The poster asked "Do you agree?" If the answer is "no," wtf else do you want someone to say?
Old 08-06-22, 09:21 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Koyote
Did you even read the original post? The poster asked "Do you agree?" If the answer is "no," wtf else do you want someone to say?
Evidently, s/he thinks that the only sensible thing to do is to ignore it unless you agree, thereby ensuring feedback with 100% agreement - that's a great way to take the temperature of the room.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-06-22, 09:38 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Koyote
No, I do not agree. But if it’s really bothering you, just ride the segment again tomorrow; problem solved.

Pay a subscription fee and all your dreams will come true.
Have had one for two years plus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.