Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Globe Roll 2 - Opinion

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Globe Roll 2 - Opinion

Old 11-02-20, 06:24 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
Globe Roll2 - Pics @ post#16

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/rol...Text=8215-2102

I have an opportunity to trade one of my geared bikes (prob the Norco Indie) to my buddy for his Globe Roll 2. I think its a 2012 and may have only seen ~500kms since new. My buddy also has a SS Bad Boy (with locking headshock) that he actually prefers more so wants a geared bike.

I would love a steel framed SS bike I'm having mixed feelings about the yellow rims/white tire combo. I'll probably get some black tires asap and then consider painting the rims. I know....first world problems.

Any thoughts on the bike itself and the colour combo?

Last edited by Speedway2; 11-09-20 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-03-20, 01:37 PM
acoustophile

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 59 Posts
Quill stem is kind of a deal breaker.
Old 11-03-20, 06:14 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Originally Posted by acoustophile
Mechanically or visually? I'm starting to appreciate the clean simple lines of quill stems (again) but appreciate your comment.
Old 11-04-20, 10:03 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by acoustophile
I don't know much about Specialized Globe bikes besides they didn't stick around very long - but I run into bicyclists all the time who really like and want quill stem bikes...
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 11-05-20, 06:17 AM
Wendell F
My pants used to fit me

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, All-City Super Professional

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I had a Roll 1 and it was decent enough. Ultimately the lack of braze ons became an issue for me. It doesn't even have bottle cage mounts.

And some really like a quill though some take issue cause it makes experimenting with different bars harder than a stem with an open face. Wouldn't know cause I still ride those Globe bars on my Steamroller 8 years later.
Old 11-05-20, 06:40 AM
Speedway2

Originally Posted by Wendell F
I had a Roll 1 and it was decent enough. Ultimately the lack of braze ons became an issue for me. It doesn't even have bottle cage mounts.
I did not notice this. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll have to look for a seat cage.....
Old 11-05-20, 09:36 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
i love the simple elegance of a quill stem but it definitely depends on the aesthetics of the rest of the bike.
but trust me as someone who has 2 vintage Raleigh bikes that neither have any bottle cage mounts - it's a pain the butt. Behind the saddle cage holders interfere with your saddlebag, and using clamps to hold it to the frame in the normal places means tempting scratches/rust where the clamps meet the tubing, and also finding bottle cages that have large enough tabs to even be clamped down securely.
Old 11-05-20, 10:10 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the quill stem at all. As long as it holds the handlebar in place, it's a non-issue.

Ditto the rims. With black tires, they'll look good. And if that bike still has the original white tires, they are likely in need of replacement.

As a city bike, for running around, you can live without water bottle mounts. And that is exactly what this bike is designed for. If you want a fixie to ride over longer distances, you probably want a different bike.

It's really a pity that the Globe line didn't last. I still commute on my Globe Daily 1, and it's a terrific, inexpensive bike.
Old 11-05-20, 11:34 AM
Speedway2

Originally Posted by the sci guy
i love the simple elegance of a quill stem but it definitely depends on the aesthetics of the rest of the bike.
I think the quill stem works with the overall aesthetics of the Globe Roll 2. Nothing overly "in your Face"....except for the white bits
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 11-05-20, 11:40 AM
Speedway2

Originally Posted by Koyote
Ditto the rims. With black tires, they'll look good. And if that bike still has the original white tires, they are likely in need of replacement.

As a city bike, for running around, you can live without water bottle mounts. And that is exactly what this bike is designed for. If you want a fixie to ride over longer distances, you probably want a different bike.

It's really a pity that the Globe line didn't last. I still commute on my Globe Daily 1, and it's a terrific, inexpensive bike.
While the tire's are original equipment, the bike's only seen about 500kms. However, the white tires are kinda dirty. Hopefully, a new set of black shoes will look OK with the yellow rims(I'm not a flashy kinda guy)
I have my Langster with dual bottle cages for longer rides so you may be right about not needing a bottle carrier on the Roll 2 for shorter rides.
I'm encouraged reading that you're having a good experience with your Globe.....I may have to close the deal with my buddy this weekend
Old 11-05-20, 11:50 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
While the tire's are original equipment, the bike's only seen about 500kms. However, the white tires are kinda dirty. Hopefully, a new set of black shoes will look OK with the yellow rims(I'm not a flashy kinda guy)
I have my Langster with dual bottle cages for longer rides so you may be right about not needing a bottle carrier on the Roll 2 for shorter rides.
I'm encouraged reading that you're having a good experience with your Globe.....I may have to close the deal with my buddy this weekend
Bear in mind that mine is very different: aluminum frame, basket and fenders, etc. Though my old buddy Ashton rode one like your friend's - or at least it was very similar - and seemed pretty happy with it.
Old 11-05-20, 12:53 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
but trust me as someone who has 2 vintage Raleigh bikes that neither have any bottle cage mounts - it's a pain the butt. Behind the saddle cage holders interfere with your saddlebag, and using clamps to hold it to the frame in the normal places means tempting scratches/rust where the clamps meet the tubing, and also finding bottle cages that have large enough tabs to even be clamped down securely.
I use these >>> https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=44338

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 11-06-20, 06:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
It is a meh bike from Specialized not complete crap but nothing to write home about. The 520 is fine steel but nothing great. Honestly there are plenty of other frames that use quill stems or could be had with quill stems I would rather have but honestly I would rather just have a good steel frame with a threadless headset. A bike like that just isn't really worth upgrading and the stock stuff is mostly cheap.
Old 11-07-20, 07:12 AM
Speedway2

Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is a meh bike from Specialized not complete crap but nothing to write home about. The 520 is fine steel but nothing great. Honestly there are plenty of other frames that use quill stems or could be had with quill stems I would rather have but honestly I would rather just have a good steel frame with a threadless headset. A bike like that just isn't really worth upgrading and the stock stuff is mostly cheap.
veganbikes....appreciate your comments. I agree, nothing special about the Specialized. I've seen it at my buddy's place collecting dust in the corner of his garage over the years and never really paid attention to it until I recently re-discovered riding my SS Langster.

My geared bikes have been collecting dust so when I saw the Globe (again) and he mentioned he wanted a geared bike the wheels in my head started turning. There's something about the classic lines and simplicity of the Roll2. Love the grey frame with black bits (still thinking about the yellow rims/white tires) and I miss riding a steel frame.

Besides, with a geared Hybrid gone it make room to shop for another one to fill the void.......
Old 11-07-20, 11:30 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
veganbikes....appreciate your comments. I agree, nothing special about the Specialized. I've seen it at my buddy's place collecting dust in the corner of his garage over the years and never really paid attention to it until I recently re-discovered riding my SS Langster.

My geared bikes have been collecting dust so when I saw the Globe (again) and he mentioned he wanted a geared bike the wheels in my head started turning. There's something about the classic lines and simplicity of the Roll2. Love the grey frame with black bits (still thinking about the yellow rims/white tires) and I miss riding a steel frame.

Besides, with a geared Hybrid gone it make room to shop for another one to fill the void.......
The Langster isn't bad I have certainly had one for a while. The SS Roll is worth dusting off and riding assuming it doesn't need anything but a trade for a geared bike may not be worth it.
Old 11-08-20, 04:18 PM
Speedway2

Globe Roll 2 - Pics!

Well I did the deal and brought home the Roll 2. Dusted it off and made some ergo adjustments.
Took it for a quick ride around the hood. This bike is smooth and quiet. Feels great to be on a chrome-moly framed bike again!
Some quick pics.......

Last edited by Speedway2; 11-09-20 at 02:14 PM.
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 11-11-20, 11:51 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
Nice. Now, time to swap the bars and stem for something black to match the crank. I don't care for the grey matching the frame, personally.
Old 11-11-20, 07:37 PM
rewop12

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are you going to ride it fixed?
Old 11-12-20, 05:05 PM
Speedway2

Nice. Now, time to swap the bars and stem for something black to match the crank. I don't care for the grey matching the frame, personally.
Thanks! I had plans to change the look of the bike eg. swapping the white tires for black ones and doing something about the loud rims....but I'm starting to think I'll keep the bike just the way it is.
I see what you're saying about the bars and stem. Going to think about that mod.
Old 11-12-20, 05:09 PM
Speedway2

Originally Posted by rewop12
Are you going to ride it fixed?
I haven't ridden a fixed "bike" since my Big Wheel in the early 60's Now in my 60's I don't plan on learning and just happy to be able to ride a bike (period).
Old 06-21-22, 06:27 PM
Martinleeds

Bikes: Multiple .

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks nice, I've just bought one black frame, with black wheels had trouble finding 9mm nuts of mine as I lost one from the front.
Yours looks sweet, can't wait to get it on the road might respray not sure yet.
Was thinking about a 7 or 8-gear hub but don't know if it's worth it, as I have to buy peddles yet. Hoping to get mine looking like yours.
and my seat post is stuck fast , think I need a pipe wrench, any ideas to get it moving?
Old 06-26-22, 07:38 PM
Speedway2

If your terrain is mostly flat I would keep it a SS.
My Roll2 is very smooth and is my first choice whenever I'm going for a ride.
Old 06-26-22, 07:49 PM
Speedway2

As for your stuck seat post you might find some good tips in the Bicycle Mechanics Section.
Old 03-11-23, 01:20 PM
Cruisin4bruisin

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
That's a very clean set up. I once had a Globe roll 1 and one of the few things I wasn't a huge fan was that I was limited to those wheels which were pretty heavy. I'm sure there's a work around but I was very lazy at the time.

Also I like the look of Quill stems on steel bikes, but I would recommend getting one the same color as your seat post (purely for aesthetic purpose)