Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Last Ride of Winter

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Last Ride of Winter

Old 03-13-22, 11:17 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 115 Posts
Last Ride of Winter

This morning I took what will most likely be the ride of Winter. Although it was 8 degrees yesterday with some snow overnight, it`s melting fast. The extended forecast calls for Spring-like weather.
I did enjoy the beauty and solitude of this morning ride.
'

'

City park in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
'

'

'

'

Most of the snow had melted by the time I arrived back home.
Likes For roadsnakes:
Old 03-13-22, 11:29 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Yeah, I went for an early morning ride yesterday because of high winds (65MPH) and rain coming in by noon. I still had to fight 30+ MPH winds, but man was it nice. No cars for a change and the few people I passed were all friendly and waving. I guess we were all of like minds, get out there before the rains came haha. Looks like I'm back to the gym today (boohoo)
Old 03-13-22, 12:36 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
Yeah, I went for an early morning ride yesterday because of high winds (65MPH) and rain coming in by noon. I still had to fight 30+ MPH winds, but man was it nice. No cars for a change and the few people I passed were all friendly and waving. I guess we were all of like minds, get out there before the rains came haha. Looks like I'm back to the gym today (boohoo)
'

When I`m not able to ride, I do my other type of exercise..............

DIDDLY-SQUATS!
Likes For roadsnakes:
Old 03-13-22, 07:20 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Lots of snow left here, but much of it should vanish in the next week. Around +7C highs much of the next 2 weeks. But with the sun intensity this time of year snow on the streets easily melts at -8C when its not cloudy. It may not even crust over very much with over night lows around -4C. I like early morning frozen slush, but probably won't see much this week. Wouldn't have minded a drop back to -10C after a week of warmth. That would create rock hard drifts to ride on.

Fell over 3 times on the fat bike trails today. The snow beside the trail is too deep to put a foot down without tipping over. Once while pulling to the side to let going the opposite direction pass, so I had an audience for that one.
Likes For gecho:
Old 03-13-22, 10:10 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 1,813 Posts
We had sub-zero temperatures Saturday morning and I forwent the hardy club ride. Rode Saturday afternoon instead, with balmy temperatures in the mid-20s. Sunday morning temperatures got up to the low 40s by the end of our ride. And on Wednesday, I think I may actually be out on a road bike....!
Old 03-14-22, 09:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
Lots of snow left here, but much of it should vanish in the next week. Around +7C highs much of the next 2 weeks. But with the sun intensity this time of year snow on the streets easily melts at -8C when its not cloudy. It may not even crust over very much with over night lows around -4C. I like early morning frozen slush, but probably won't see much this week. Wouldn't have minded a drop back to -10C after a week of warmth. That would create rock hard drifts to ride on.Fell over 3 times on the fat bike trails today. The snow beside the trail is too deep to put a foot down without tipping over. Once while pulling to the side to let going the opposite direction pass, so I had an audience for that one.
falling into deep snow. that's sounds nice & cushy
Old 03-14-22, 05:03 PM
gecho

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
falling into deep snow. that's sounds nice & cushy
The only down side is when you go to push yourself back up but your arm isn't long enough to raise you at all. You have to wiggle around to disentangle yourself from the bike, then get your legs into a position where you can stand up.

Warm enough now the bar mitts came off after today's ride. -5C is the lowest overnight low in the forecast. Not even cold enough to firm things up at night. Any frozen over puddles can be assumed to be liquid under the ice. 10C on Friday, I'll probably be back to the mountain bike before then. On the plus side I'll be able to do further rides, everything on the fat bike is under 40 km even when it ends up being a 3 hour ride.
Likes For gecho:
Old 03-19-22, 06:39 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by jannie
Pictures like these remind me my grandpa's home
*hugs*
Old 03-19-22, 07:39 AM
gecho

Bottom of the ruts were getting to be slick ice, so I needed to take extra care to ride in the high spots. I still had no problem getting down these roads yesterday, but it was bumpier and slower.
Likes For gecho:
Old 03-23-22, 07:31 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
I washed my heavy winter gear yesterday with the hopes that most of it can be put away for several months. I also did something unusual and put slick tires on the winter bike for the first time in 12 years of studded tires, in anticipation of a few wet miles this summer as it has fenders and the road bike doesn't. And I woke up this morning to a coating of snow, with more falling.
Old 03-23-22, 02:24 PM
gecho

Meltdown is progressing. Even the worst roads have ruts melted all the way to pavement. I got out early while things were still mostly frozen.

Traditionally we still have plenty of time for another big dump of short-lived snow.