Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

tour de france

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-22, 07:49 AM
jdogg111

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
tour de france

good day to everyone. quick question as i am a huge fan of the tour de france, when its on i watch the live morning version and all reruns during the day. are there any serious american contenders on the horizon? seems like since lance theres been hardly any americans that had any hope of a top 5 finish. some of these younger international riders seem poised to dominate for the next decade or so. i love peter sagal but i want a homegrown talent to pull for also. loved lance too, still think it was a rip for him to be stripped of his victories, as he was pretty much a product of that generation of misdeeds in the cycling world. don't come at me on that, i've read everything there is to know concerning that time and i won't change my mind. jerk or not, he was supremely talented, the cycling world reacted to this and he reacted back. anyway, past is past and i'd like to see an american or even north american worthy enough to make a run at another tour de france win.
Old 04-13-22, 07:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Lance, blah blah blah Lance, blah blah blah Lance. But I am not hear to talk about Lance.

BTW...Is Peter Sagal related to Katey Sagal?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-13-22, 08:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by jdogg111
good day to everyone. quick question as i am a huge fan of the tour de france, when its on i watch the live morning version and all reruns during the day. are there any serious american contenders on the horizon? seems like since lance theres been hardly any americans that had any hope of a top 5 finish. some of these younger international riders seem poised to dominate for the next decade or so. i love peter sagal but i want a homegrown talent to pull for also. loved lance too, still think it was a rip for him to be stripped of his victories, as he was pretty much a product of that generation of misdeeds in the cycling world. don't come at me on that, i've read everything there is to know concerning that time and i won't change my mind. jerk or not, he was supremely talented, the cycling world reacted to this and he reacted back. anyway, past is past and i'd like to see an american or even north american worthy enough to make a run at another tour de france win.

So because we won't change your opinion, we're not supposed to argue with your opinion? If you don't want an answer, don't post it.

Lance committed several felonies including perjuring himself to smear his accusers. He also was a vexatious litigant bully and fond of getting people fired. He wasn't just a product of the times, he was key in extending the age of misdeeds and the preeminent misdeeder (don't bother correcting this--creative neologism).

If nothing else, there's no forgiving him for screwing over Greg LeMond for telling the obvious truth. There's an American who actually got to keep his championships.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-13-22, 08:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
There seem to be more and more cyclists from the United States getting on world tour teams. The cyclists going to the TdF for the teams haven't even been stated and the roster for their TdF particiipants will change many times until just before Stage 1.

You'd probably get less popcorn tossed if you pose such questions in the Professional Cycling For the Fans sub-forum.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-13-22, 08:17 AM
jdogg111

so......about the original question. any serious american contenders to win the tour in the near future?
Likes For jdogg111:
Old 04-13-22, 08:23 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
He also was a vexatious litigant bully and fond of getting people fired. He wasn't just a product of the times, he was key in extending the age of misdeeds and the preeminent misdeeder .
I'm not sure what most of that means but it sure will look impressive on my new business cards!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 04-13-22, 08:27 AM
banana jam 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Peter Sagal liked a bagel
when he could ride a bike
now he sits and counts his money
and others make the strike
Old 04-13-22, 08:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
so......about the original question. any serious american contenders to win the tour in the near future?
No.

/thread
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-13-22, 08:36 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Yes, it's sooo unfair to disqualify cheaters. What is the world coming to?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-13-22, 08:56 AM
jdogg111

thanks for the heads up, i'm fairly new so still feeling my way around.
Old 04-13-22, 09:01 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
… loved lance too, still think it was a rip for him to be stripped of his victories, … don't come at me on that, i've read everything there is to know concerning that time and i won't change my mind.
I’m not “coming at you”…but if you still think L.A. is ‘all that’…I challenge you, if you haven’t already, to read his first book (IT’S NOT ABOUT THE BIKE) and still come away with the same attitude. Published in midst of his now-discraced TdF winning spree…I read it then, and I will admit that after reading the book about his bout(s) with cancer I was duped into believing there was no way he would have ever done what he did (the doping). It was a good story…and I actually like to use the phrase “It’s not about the bike” as a mantra WRT my own bicycle riding. But that’s it. BTW…if you didn’t want responses bout L.A….you shouldn’t have mentioned him in your OP. Did you really think his mention, and your adoration of him would just be glossed over?

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 04-13-22 at 09:04 AM.
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 04-13-22, 09:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

thanks for the heads up, i'm fairly new so still feeling my way around.

Fair enough, but now you know that name is fightin' words around here. Generally, it's just best to avoid the topic unless you're looking for an argument that's been done to death.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-13-22, 09:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I'm not sure what most of that means but it sure will look impressive on my new business cards!

You starting a super-villain business?
Old 04-13-22, 09:18 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Tour De France is like watching Nascar...You only tune into the news to catch the crashes and the finishing results.
Old 04-13-22, 09:57 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,777 Posts
Thread moved from General to Pro Cycling for the Fans.

Old 04-13-22, 09:58 AM
jdogg111

actually i didn't know. but thanks, lesson learned.
Old 04-13-22, 10:02 AM
jdogg111

'i'm gonna disagree there. i watch for many different reasons. to see the equipment, how the teams are doing, the day to day operations and moves being made by teams and individuals alike.the amazing fitness level of the riders, the mountains, the speed, a whole slew of reasons to watch for me, at least.
Old 04-13-22, 12:25 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 472 Posts
Brandon McNulty seems the best positioned yeah? Great time trialist and good in mountains but still has had disappointing results in one week races. Usually because of crashes, though last year's Paris-Nice (right?) The Pog could've helped pace McNulty back after the Basque raid.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 04-13-22, 12:42 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Thread moved from General to Pro Cycling for the Fans.
Why? This isn't a thread about being a fan of pro cycling. Because Lance and 'Murica are distractions and there is so much more than le Tour.

OP, no, we don't have a US contender for the GC but there are some riders in the pro peloton doing well, including a Tour stage winner from Boulder. BTW, a 19 year old from Pittsburgh won a spring classic today. Branch out. You may enjoy it.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 04-13-22, 12:52 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
Magnus Sheffield is a USA rider for INOS Grenadiers. He just a few hours ago won the 62ndDe Brabantse Pijl - La Flèche Brabançonne. A 205 km one day race.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race...jl/2022/result

He won't be a GC rider this year in anything like the TdF though. He is young and new talent. Let's hope he doesn't turn out to be a flash in the pan.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-13-22, 01:14 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4376 Post(s)
Liked 3,013 Times in 1,863 Posts
I'm sure you mean well and that your enthusiasm comes from the heart, but this is totally the wrong way to parachute into this forum. We've been there, done that, and are done with that conversation. Generations of exciting racers have come and gone since that bygone era, and if you've missed out on that, that's unfortunate for you.

As you might be aware, the Tour de France is only one event, and in many ways it's not the most exciting one either. I suggest you tune in to Paris Roubaix this weekend for what will likely be a thrilling race.

There are bunches of up and coming Americans, though it's unlikely that any of them will compete this year for the GC victory in the only race that apparently matters to you. On this day, I'll pass on the name of young Magnus Sheffield, because he's 19 years old and won a very exciting classic race TODAY in Belgium
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 04-13-22, 02:03 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4376 Post(s)
Liked 3,013 Times in 1,863 Posts
Oh, in case it's news to you, Peter Sagan is also in the rear view mirror.
Old 04-13-22, 02:10 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

MinnMan , I don't think jdogg111 intended to insert himself into this forum. Moderator Niedermeyer introduced him to us. But good words anyway.

New or not, the way things have been going in our little Velogames league for ooga-booga and me, he's got a strong change of finishing in the field and ahead of us. And Mohammed, Jugdish, Sydney, and Clayton.

Again, welcome jdogg111 to our little neck of the woods via your serendipitous path. And maybe to a post-Lance trans-national view of things beyond le grande boucle.
Old 04-13-22, 02:12 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Oh, in case it's news to you, Peter Sagan is also in the rear view mirror.
That's what they said about Cavendish!
Likes For slcbob:
Old 04-13-22, 02:52 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3771 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 788 Posts
I don't see any top 5 from any of the Americans. However, some that I'm hoping to see in the Tour are: Brandon McNulty, Sepp Kuss and Neilson Powless
Likes For work4bike:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.