Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

NOS Sturmey Archer AWC (ii) Hub seems draggy

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-05-22, 07:38 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 97 Posts

Anyone have experience with the Sturmey Archer AWC (ii) or RC3 (ii) hubs? I recently built up an SA AWC (ii) coaster brake 3-speed hub for my daughter. It was a NOS hub, new in the box, and I laced it up. I recently installed it in the bike, and it seems to shift ok, but the hub doesn't coast well at all. In the stand, the bike shifts fine, but the rear wheel slows down fairly quickly. Are these hubs just draggy, or do I need to adjust the cones?
Old 05-05-22, 07:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
Most all the current IGhs from the old world players (Shimano, SRAM/Sachs and SA/SunRace) have more drag when new then the classic AWs, Torpedo Boys and such. For the market they are designed for this isn't a deal breaker. Andy
Old 05-06-22, 08:09 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
My SA XRD3 will spin 3 min+. I guess a coaster may be more draggy like my roller brake.
If yours is old then obviously it needs taken apart and relubed. There needs to be a bit of play.
My Nexus 7i was also tight when new.
There's a hundred YT videos for all the 3 speed hubs. The Nexus 7 ones are almost all in Russian, darn it.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 05-07-22 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-06-22, 09:32 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
Anyone have experience with the Sturmey Archer AWC (ii) or RC3 (ii) hubs? I recently built up an SA AWC (ii) coaster brake 3-speed hub for my daughter. It was a NOS hub, new in the box, and I laced it up. I recently installed it in the bike, and it seems to shift ok, but the hub doesn't coast well at all. In the stand, the bike shifts fine, but the rear wheel slows down fairly quickly. Are these hubs just draggy, or do I need to adjust the cones?
If there is no play when you try to wiggle the rim side to side it may be that the hub bearings are too tight. If there is slight play at the rim, then bearing adjustment will do nothing to reduce rolling friction.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 05-07-22, 08:29 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
NOS hub...
What's the build date (stamped on the hub)?

Manuals:
sturmey-archerheritagedotcom has the factory five-page technical document for the AWC(ii)
https://www.sturmey-archerheritage.co.../view-1123.pdf

sturmey-archerdotcom has a generic one-page instruction sheet:
https://www.sturmey-archer.com/files...EED%20HUBS.pdf

Sheldon on coaster brakes:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes.html

Sutherlands manual pages on the AWC II
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sutherl...-5-sturmey.pdf

Last edited by tcs; 05-07-22 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-07-22, 05:34 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Coaster brake hubs always have more drag than non-coaster hubs. But unloaded spin-down does not really demonstrate how the hub will perform under load.
Old 05-07-22, 08:40 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
What's the build date (stamped on the hub)?
Don't see one, but it's a Sun-Race Sturmey-Archer so I know it's post-2000.

Manuals:
sturmey-archerheritagedotcom has the factory five-page technical document for the AWC(ii)
https://www.sturmey-archerheritage.co.../view-1123.pdf
I found that the other day Googling. Section 2.3 seems to have some bearing:
2.3 Hub Bearing Adjustment
The right hand cone is preset at the Sturmey-Archer factory and should only be disturbed during a major service. The left-hand cone only is used for normal bearing adjustment.
1. Loosen left-hand cone locknut.
2. Adjust brake arm nut until very slight side play can be felt at the wheel rim, and none at the hub.
3. Holding the brake arm nut stationary tighten the cone locknut (Torque 27 Nm).
I tried loosening the cone locknut, but I couldn't budge it. That and the brake arm nut are an odd size, too. I'll have to come up with plan B.
Old 05-08-22, 08:38 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Coaster brake hubs always have more drag than non-coaster hubs.
Fun fact: In July 1908 Harry Green set a new Lands End to John O'Groats record of 2 days, 19 hours and fifty minutes riding a Raleigh fitted with an ancestor of the AWC II, a Sturmey-Archer Type-C Tricoaster. This is the only time a rider using a coaster-braked bicycle held the record.