Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

3-D printing small parts

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

3-D printing small parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-22, 05:57 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
3-D printing small parts

One of my younger, more tech savvy coworkers was talking about 3-d printers the other day and I asked him about making some of the plastic feet for my Zefal HP pump. He had a favorite site for open source patterns for his other projects, so I did a quick search and lo and behold, they had the pattern. He ran off a quick sample for me as a test run and it was pretty good, but he is going to tweak it a little for a better fit. He is using as a learning exercise to get more experience with adjusting his printer. I'll post a picture when I get the final version.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4565816/files
Old 06-04-22, 07:00 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Yeah, 3D printing is great for that kind of thing. There's a gazillion little bike parts that could be recreated this way. I'm thinking of the plastic quick release on certain early 1960's GB brake levers, for example. What about a Simplex derailleur? Some must have made those by now....
Old 06-05-22, 05:43 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I put my BIL to work when he was bragging about getting one. He made me a dozen Cannondale toptube guides out of ABS plastic. They're kinda ugly, but look like they should work. I gave a couple sets to the co-op as I figured they'll get a "test" frame sooner than I will.
Old 06-05-22, 08:18 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
I find it odd that we don't have a section for 3D printing of bicycle related items. It can be incredibly hard to find bike .stl files on some of the web sites. When I find or design a bike related item I try to post it on the bikeforums site just in case there is an interest. And then again there are a few designs I am only interested in releasing to the bikeforums Klan... Ha

Considering the fact that a lot of bikeforums members are from the engineering field I am pretty sure many members own or are well familiar with the 3D design process.

Originally Posted by rhm
...What about a Simplex derailleur? Some must have made those by now....
Yep... It's a void that needs to be filled. I am thinking it should be made out of ABS or Nylon. Then again you could perfect the 3D print in PLA then port the .stl over to a CNC machine for aluminum. fun, Fun, FUN...

My little Creality-Ender3 was given to me for Fathers Day few years ago. It has been fun. You can get a refurbished one for less than 100 USD on ebay now days. Small 3d printers can very finicky till ya get down the settings. I use Linux based free software (No Bill Gates or Apple). They are not much harder to operate then getting an old COX 0.049 engine running though. Hers a pic as requested...

Last edited by zandoval; 06-06-22 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-05-22, 08:42 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Yeah, 3D printing is great for that kind of thing. There's a gazillion little bike parts that could be recreated this way. I'm thinking of the plastic quick release on certain early 1960's GB brake levers, for example. What about a Simplex derailleur? Some must have made those by now....
remake the Simplex front mech body out of Titanium... we know what the plastic does
Old 06-06-22, 08:48 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,463 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
One of my younger, more tech savvy coworkers was talking about 3-d printers the other day and I asked him about making some of the plastic feet for my Zefal HP pump. He had a favorite site for open source patterns for his other projects, so I did a quick search and lo and behold, they had the pattern. He ran off a quick sample for me as a test run and it was pretty good, but he is going to tweak it a little for a better fit. He is using as a learning exercise to get more experience with adjusting his printer. I'll post a picture when I get the final version.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4565816/files
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I put my BIL to work when he was bragging about getting one. He made me a dozen Cannondale toptube guides out of ABS plastic. They're kinda ugly, but look like they should work. I gave a couple sets to the co-op as I figured they'll get a "test" frame sooner than I will.
Please help out someone who hasn't seem a 3D printer since the days when their medium was something resembling corn starch, and post a couple photos of these small parts.

As long as we are making a wish list I could sure use some of the plastic nut caps for the Simplex quick release.
Brent
Old 06-06-22, 09:00 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 217 Posts
Quick search shows they have three designs for Schrader to Presta rim inserts. Gonna check if the library still has their 3d printer
Old 06-06-22, 09:12 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
this is a RC vehicle wheel my kid printed

he printed a 'plug' for a bike stem (expander bolt hole) recently - looks like a factory part (sorry - no picture)

Old 06-06-22, 10:24 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
DIY 3D printers are great, but you're limited somewhat in materials. There are many sites that you can upload STL files to and have a part back in less than a week.

Going to a professional you can get high strength plastics in Ultem or PEEK, which rival aluminum in many aspects. Metals are available as well, but cost can be a factor. Most places can also hand-finish the part to remove the printing artifacts.
Old 06-06-22, 02:19 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

pic of speaker housing my kid printed

( the 'ring' is a separate piece he also printed )
Likes For t2p:
Old 06-08-22, 09:58 PM
C0UG4R

Bikes: 1984 Serotta Nova Special, 1976 Zeus, 1995 Park Pre Pro825, 1992 Cannondale M800, 1993 Bridgestone MB-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 25 Posts
Printed a test bar plug to try and hopefully print more for few of my mountain bikes. Hoping to do some in different colors and design some logos to put on it.

Some of my other prints in the background...
Likes For C0UG4R:
Old 06-09-22, 07:35 AM
t2p

like the engine and engine block !
Old 06-09-22, 12:18 PM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 146 Posts
I think if someone could do a run of Cinelli Grammo stem top caps, they could likely make a few bucks selling them on eBay. Easily $30 a pop.