Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on the Turbo Vado SL and the Cannondale Quick Neo SL

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-22, 11:22 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts

I am planning to buy an ebike this year or early next. I need a lightweight step through. Step through because I have Parkinson's and am getting stiffer by the year. Light because I want to be able to tilt it up against the wall in my very limited space garage and would like to be able to lift it onto a standard Thule hitch rack. I have been riding a custom steel sport touring bike for the last decade and have been very happy with it but I have slowed down considerably and have trouble with hills. I am about to turn 74 and want to get a few more years in before I look at eTrikes.

I rode a Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0 step through today and was impressed. The Quick Neo SL 1 also has a step through and seems pretty nice but I haven't been able to ride one yet. REI will ship one out if I decide it is worth pursuing. My primary question is whether the Specialized is enough better to warrant the price difference. It looks like I would spend about $1500 more. I don't mind doing so if I will get a significantly better ride but will I?

Edit: I checked with Cannondale and the Quick Neo is no more. They have replaced it with the Tesoro Neo SL, which looks to be similar. So I guess I am comparing the tesoro SL to the Vado SL.

Last edited by donheff; 07-14-22 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-14-22, 08:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
The Vado SL uses a md-drive motor, the Cannondale Tesoro is a hub drive. The mid drive is going to be more balanced and generally more reliable set up. I would rather have the the Vado personally. It has overall better parts beyond just the mid-drive system and also wider tires. The one point to beerCanonndale is they do have a carbon fork vs. the Vado 4 but the 5 has a carbon fork, suspension in the headset and a much better set of parts on it.
Old 07-15-22, 10:02 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
If you have a Specialized dealer nearby, that would be the deciding factor (for me) given the other differences.