Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Classic Rims, Maybe Even Vintage Rims

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Classic Rims, Maybe Even Vintage Rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-22, 04:43 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Okay, thanks for the price checks. At the prices I quoted the rims and spokes plus tax and shipping have been $300 just for the parts and I'd still have to build the wheels.

Velo Orange has rim and wheel options, as do many other shops. The VO wheels look to be relatively heavy rims with straight gage spokes and the wrong spacing, so not a good fit for my needs.

So, if I bought an assembled wheel with 126 mm spacing, Can I simply remove a spacer to fit the hub into a 120 mm frame? There is also re-dishing required, correct?

The hunt is on!
I think it'd depend on the hub whether you could just remove the spacer(s), and yes, with a 6mm difference you'd have to re-dish.
It's pretty simple to cold-set a frame from 120 to 126 (the Sheldon 2x4 method or the threaded rod method.....)- if you stick with 5sp after that you may need a spacer behind the freewheel to keep your chainline, or you could then go to a 6 or 7sp freewheel...

I think you're about right with the pricing- I've built a couple sets of wheels from new parts over the past year (V-O rims & hubs, Sapim spokes), and shopping around and waiting for sales (V-O seem to have a 20% or 25% off sale a couple times a year....) they've come out to about $300 a set. In terms of parts quality, if you DIY you'll get a much nicer wheel for the $ than spending an equal amount on a pre-built set. Build quality will of course be up to you!

I've found building wheels to be kind of fun. The Roger Musson book is a great resource, and if you're reasonably handy the truing DIY truing stand design is easy to make, too....

Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 08-08-22, 10:14 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew_G
If you want new wheels built to vintage specifications (aka "obsolete"), you'll have to find a vintage friendly bike shop.

In Southern California (Long Beach) I recommend: https://www.thebicyclestand.org
What is 'vintage specifications' now? I think any competent wheel builder can build a vintage wheel if you gave him the hub and rim.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 08-08-22, 10:27 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
So, if I bought an assembled wheel with 126 mm spacing, Can I simply remove a spacer to fit the hub into a 120 mm frame? There is also re-dishing required, correct?
Correct, you'd have to re-center the rim across the locknuts, and also cut 6mm from one end of the axle, unless it's a solid/nutted axle.
Old 08-08-22, 10:28 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
I think it'd depend on the hub whether you could just remove the spacer(s), and yes, with a 6mm difference you'd have to re-dish.
It's pretty simple to cold-set a frame from 120 to 126 (the Sheldon 2x4 method or the threaded rod method.....)- if you stick with 5sp after that you may need a spacer behind the freewheel to keep your chainline, or you could then go to a 6 or 7sp freewheel...

I think you're about right with the pricing- I've built a couple sets of wheels from new parts over the past year (V-O rims & hubs, Sapim spokes), and shopping around and waiting for sales (V-O seem to have a 20% or 25% off sale a couple times a year....) they've come out to about $300 a set. In terms of parts quality, if you DIY you'll get a much nicer wheel for the $ than spending an equal amount on a pre-built set. Build quality will of course be up to you!

I've found building wheels to be kind of fun. The Roger Musson book is a great resource, and if you're reasonably handy the truing DIY truing stand design is easy to make, too....
Thank you for confirming what I suspected regarding costs and scope of work. I am just suffering "sticker shock".

I have everything I need to build wheels - truing stand with a dial micrometer, dishing gage,... I even have a spoke wrench.
Old 08-08-22, 10:37 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Thank you for confirming what I suspected regarding costs and scope of work. I am just suffering "sticker shock".

I have everything I need to build wheels - truing stand with a dial micrometer, dishing gage,... I even have a spoke wrench.
It's not cheap. Used wheels are sometimes the way to go. I completely dismantle them, clean and polish all components, straighten the spokes then flatten and true out-of-round rims before lacing.

Do you have a spoke tensiometer?
Old 08-08-22, 01:45 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
It's not cheap. Used wheels are sometimes the way to go. I completely dismantle them, clean and polish all components, straighten the spokes then flatten and true out-of-round rims before lacing.

Flatten the spokes or the rims? And if you mean rims, how do you do that?
Old 08-08-22, 02:09 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
Flatten the spokes or the rims? And if you mean rims, how do you do that?
I should have said, straighten the spokes, not flatten them.

You need a flat surface, I use my cast iron table saw but a stone countertop or heavy piece of glass works as well. If the rim does not lie flat, you have to find the high spots and bend them down until the rim does not wobble when pushed with your finger at any given point.

You want to start with straight spokes as well as "true" (flat and round) rims before lacing them because if you rely on the spokes to pull the rim true, you will never achieve uniform tension for the spokes, which is key to having a durable wheel.
Old 08-08-22, 02:11 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
You have everything you need but spokes and rims. Regularly check the local CL, OfferUp, FB market, etc for 6 speed wheel sets. If the eyelets aren’t too rusty, the brake tracks look “good”, and they are pretty true, you have found your rims. A few days of liquid wrench at the spoke-nipple interface and you might be able to use the spokes.
Old 08-08-22, 10:09 PM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 585 Times in 188 Posts
Su M13 polished from Carson City Bike Shop

A number of people have mentioned this rim and I concur. They sell them in polish and satin and you can get them in 700c and 27 and 32 or 36 spokes My go to place is Carson City Bike Shop at their online store. About $30 a rim. Their interface is very unwieldy but the price is great and shipping is reasonable in USA.

https://carsoncitybikeshop.com/compo...riceasc&page=4
Old 08-08-22, 10:15 PM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 585 Times in 188 Posts
Here they are on my Allegro and PX10

Originally Posted by Sactown_Albert
A number of people have mentioned this rim and I concur. They sell them in polish and satin and you can get them in 700c and 27 and 32 or 36 spokes My go to place is Carson City Bike Shop at their online store. About $30 a rim. Their interface is very unwieldy but the price is great and shipping is reasonable in USA.

Likes For Sactown_Albert:
Old 08-08-22, 10:51 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,460 Times in 3,193 Posts
So, if I bought an assembled wheel with 126 mm spacing, can I simply remove a spacer to fit the hub into a 120 mm frame? There is also re-dishing required, correct?
I wouldn't want to do that based on the spoke length differences between the two o.l.d.s, especially after shelling out for a new wheel. When I buy something new, I want it to be correct, right out of the gate.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-09-22, 04:27 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

I'll second the plug for Carson City (and also agree their website is very unwieldy....), but advise calling or emailing them before ordering (they're usually pretty quick to respond to emails)- it's often unclear what the drilling is with rims offered on their site.
Old 08-09-22, 04:28 AM
ehcoplex 

that PX is a beaut!
Old 08-09-22, 09:58 PM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by branko_76
I do. Really, I have everything I need.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 08-09-22, 09:59 PM
Bad Lag

Oh, man! Those are real beauties.
Old 04-29-23, 02:51 PM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
[QUOTE=Bad Lag;22601269]Who makes them, new production, 700C, clincher rims in the classic style - polished aluminum, ferruled spoke holes,

You know, I have the same problem. I just can’t find the “look” I want in new rims. For my own bikes I always end up buying from eBay second hand vintage rims, and that comes with a risk of getting a piece of err, rubbish.

It’s heartening to know I am not the only one and missing something every one else knows….lol.