Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

hydraulic brake "warbling" sound

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-08-22, 06:57 AM
BNB

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, gravel, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

I have 3 bikes with hydraulic brakes and each make a rather loud warbling sound on one or both of the brakes. Friends have thrown out ideas - brake pads, misalignment of some sort - but none make much sense to me. My bikes with cable disc brakes don't and never have made this noise. I wondered if it was a small amount of air in the lines but none have "mushy" braking. The brakes work well otherwise. I'm guessing this is not terribly uncommon but ?? Any help appreciated.
Old 08-08-22, 11:43 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
My disc brakes make a sound you could call a warble, mostly on the front, when applying the brake going downhill at speed; not so much during flat/moderate riding. I assumed it's caused by the slots/holes on the rotor.
Old 08-08-22, 12:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Mine only make a brief screeching sound after they get wet.

This sound is while you are braking while on the bike isn't it? I can only imagine your brake pads got contaminated with something. Sometimes you can clean them off with brake pad cleaner from the auto parts store or just plain alcohol. But sometimes you have to replace them. I might try a very light sanding of the pad and rotor though before I resorted to buying new.... unless the old pads and rotor is already out of spec. You do check them don't you?

If you do pull the pads to look at them and the wear isn't even and the pad the same thickness through out, then something else is up and that might be the ultimate cause of your warble noise.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-08-22 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-08-22, 01:45 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
SRAM/Avid?
Old 08-08-22, 04:08 PM
BNB

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, gravel, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
2 bikes are sram hydraulics. the mountain bike is very old and not sure; it's hanging on my garage ceiling at the moment.

it's definitely not screeching - that happens with moisture on all my disc brakes, hydraulic or cable. hard to believe that all 3 of the bikes that are hydraulic are doing this and my cable actuated are not - contamination would be equally likely on all of the bikes.

I'm going to try to record the sound. my newest (sram axs xplr gravel) is the loudest.
Old 08-09-22, 03:01 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
My guess is you're hearing a humming that is fluctuates from high to low, caused by the venting slots in the rotors. Usually under hard braking in the front e.g. on a descent, etc.

If it is, that's normal especially under hard braking or at high speed. Generally if you hang on the brakes and really heat them up, it'll start squealing and rubbing after that until it cools off.
Old 08-09-22, 04:48 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
I once had a rim brake bike that started screeching very loud and annoying. Cleaning and nothing helped. And they were new pads. And at that time without the interwebs, choices were few. So I just braked hard every time I had to stop during a ride and 2 maybe 3 months worth of rides later, it stopped screeching. Never had to replace them or bother with them again. Didn't have the bike long enough to wear them out again.