Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Mobiky Help

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Mobiky Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-09, 04:05 PM
poz12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mobiky Help

Hi
I am new to this forum and could use some help. I just got a Mobiky Genius and would like to buy a good case to carry the bike onto an airplane without incurring a surcharge. Something of good quality that would fit the bike, and that I can fold up when I get off the plane. Also, if there any Mobiky owners out there that would like to share their knowledge of the bike with me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 11-06-09, 12:26 PM
JCFlack

Bikes: Giant Escape III

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you like your Mobiky Genius, and what led you to buying it? When I first started to get interested in folding bikes, that was the first one I really looked into, mostly because of an appearance on TV - I think it was on "I Want That". I finally decided that the price was too high, and bought a cheaper bike, but I still think the Genius looks neat, both folded and unfolded.

I wish I had a suggestion about a case for your bike. I have a nice canvas bag for mine, and I think it could fly as luggage if I added some padding and cardboard to stiffen the sides, but your bike has a longer narrower fold than mine, so I don't think it would fit.
Old 11-08-09, 04:20 AM
cyqlist

Bikes: Mobiky, PBW, Jim Redcay, old Chicago Schwinns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Among accessories offered for Mobiky was this quilted travel bag which should provide better protection than the bag that comes with the bike, but I do not know if it would be adequate for airline travel, or if it is still available.

Larry Lagarde of ridethisbike.com developed this prototype hard case for the Mobiky in 2006 but apparently did not follow up with it. Then a year later he wrote that he had found this rolling soft case but did not follow up with that either or reveal the source. These both seem to require removal of the front wheel and handlebar.

You can find more comments about Mobiky from me and other owners by using the "search the forums" feature above.
Old 11-08-09, 08:32 AM
poz12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the Mobiky due to the quality, design, quick fold, and it suited my needs. And I did this in spite of the company having no current presence in the US and the inability to source any needed parts. I truly love this bike.
Old 11-08-09, 08:33 AM
poz12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being a Mobilyist, can you help me in a quest to source parts? Thank you.
Old 11-08-09, 12:47 PM
cyqlist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I could help with the parts. When I first got my Mobiky in early 2007, David Lam at Bfold in New York told me he could get any parts I needed, but I suspect that is no longer true. Many parts not unique to the Mobiky can be gotten from various sources. Are you looking for something in particular?

I love my Mobiky too, but I do not put a lot of miles on it. The unique design and folding mechanism appealed to me very strongly when I got it. Other folding bikes look more like they are "broken" when folded. In particular, the long handlebar stems hinged at the bottom that are common to many other folders seem a little scary to me. I also find the Mobiky's 12" wheels (ISO 203mm - smallest available conventionally spoked wheels?) with fat tires very cute and appealing, as well as providing a surprisingly comfortable ride, even without the optional suspension seat post.
Old 11-09-09, 07:40 AM
poz12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for all of your suggestions and help. The part I really need right now is the double sprocket.
It is the part that both chains attach to. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-09-09, 05:59 PM
cyqlist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So is it a used Mobiky you bought? Seems like it would have to be if you just got the bike and need that part already. It was a big disappointment to me when I found that those sprockets are made of aluminum rather than steel. I don't see how they could expect a 14 tooth aluminum sprocket to last very long.

Bike Forums user superkaos wrote that he got a machinist to make a replacement sprocket set of steel.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...40#post9832440 includes a link to pictures.

I have not had to face the sprocket replacement issue yet myself since I only use my Mobiky occasionally, but if and when I do I plan to investigate the possibility of converting to some kind of individually replaceable sprockets.
Old 11-14-09, 07:16 AM
poz12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like I lucked out. I sent out emails all over the world and somehow I got a response from the president of Mobiky. He had the parts I needed sent out last week. Now maybe I can get this baby back on the road. Thank you for all your help.
Old 11-19-09, 08:04 AM
poz12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by poz12
It looks like I lucked out. I sent out emails all over the world and somehow I got a response from the president of Mobiky. He had the parts I needed sent out last week. Now maybe I can get this baby back on the road. Thank you for all your help.
True to his word, Eric Jean, the President of Mobiky had the parts I needed to get his great little bike back on the road. They came yesterday. Whew!!! Thanks again to all of you.
Old 11-19-09, 08:06 AM
poz12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yes, and thank you to Arnaud Poree of Mobiky as well.
Old 07-20-22, 07:14 AM
moooo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone guide me how to take out rear wheel on Mobiky to replace flat?