Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Huffy Magellan

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Huffy Magellan

Old 03-18-10, 06:54 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Huffy Magellan

Anyone have any experience with this bike? I can find very little about it online.

Buddy of mine found one BNIB in a scratch and dent store for $30. Employee at the Mart cut the seat with a box cutter opening it.

Aluminum frame, 700c wheels, and low end Shimano/SRAM 21 speed drivetrain. I have not gotten a close look at it, but for that price, it is a great start, leaving plenty of room in the budget for what I am sure will be soon needed replacements(upgrades).
Old 03-18-10, 07:14 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
One of the things you'll soon be replacing is the bicycle itself... so better save some money.
Old 03-18-10, 07:18 PM
Commodus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I guess you can't lose for $30. If it fits.
Old 03-18-10, 07:21 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
The only size offered is a "small" around 54cm....it has an adjustable stem, and a pretty decent length seat post.

Gerv-just curious as to where you found your info, or do you own one?
Any information on who makes frames for Huffy nowdays?
Old 03-18-10, 07:41 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
it's a huffy!!
Old 03-18-10, 08:05 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
A huffy is just as noble as any other bike you could own. We should strive not to look down on those who ride poorly made cheap bicycles. In fact, I think I will probably give away my Shimano XT, and Ultegra equipped bicycles and wait patiently for one these treasures to show up at the Thrift store.
Old 03-18-10, 08:15 PM
JPprivate
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
didn't you just tell that other dude that 500 dollars wasn't enough for a starter commuter (and he had to throw in another 500)...
Old 03-18-10, 08:22 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Of course that was me. What a minute. Where you asking a rhetorical question?
Old 03-18-10, 08:23 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Sorry "were" is the word I wanted to use.
Old 03-18-10, 08:30 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bugly64
... We should strive not to look down on those who ride poorly made cheap bicycles.
Lol... it's a huffy!

OP - Upgrades are a waste of money, buy the best package you can get and ride it, fix what breaks.
Old 03-18-10, 08:32 PM
utahp8ntballer

Bikes: Fuji SL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was actually going to start a thread about this bike this morning since I did my first commute on it today.
I bought this at Kmart for $79.00 on clearance. It was missing the front fender which I think is what saved me the extra $20 off the original $99 clearance price.
I brought it home and adjusted handle bars, stem, seat, brakes, and derailleurs. Got this thing to shift pretty dang good. I actually couldn't believe it.
Put on a front fender and put in some puncture resistant tubes then had the rear wheel trued. Threw some bags and lights on and it was set to go.
Today was a balmy 35f and I thought it was a good day to ride. My commute is 21 miles and I have to say if it wasn't for my toes freezing, it would have been a wonderful ride. This bike was great. It was pretty plush and I had plenty of gearing. I was comfortable the whole 21 miles. Everything on this bike worked way better than I thought my $79 would get me so I was pleasantly surprised.
The only thing I would change is the seat post. I don't like the suspension on that at all but other than that it seems to be a great bike. I got it mainly to pull my boy around in his trailer since I don't want my carbon fuji to explode. Then I figured I would commute on it so I don't have to take the Fuji (even though it's considerably faster and more fun to ride.)
I didn't commute home since I left my car at work yesterday so I can't say what 42 miles in a day on this bike feels like but come summer time I will know.
For the price you really can't beat this bike, but this is my first commuter so I have nothing to compare it to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Mar_18_2010_5739.jpg (98.1 KB, 139 views)
Old 03-18-10, 09:42 PM
BrooklyntoNYC
Ridin for the sweat

Bikes: Giordano Libero

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another one here who got a Bike from a Toy Store and yes it is a Huffy, what way back in 87, I only had to change and I mean I changed these things just last year, rear break, housing cables for front/back brake, front and back wheels and Tires, and new seat, everything else still works, haven't changed the Chain yet, Huffy 12 speed road bike 27 inch.
Old 03-18-10, 11:40 PM
miamimike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought this Bike last year on Sale at Kmart. I walked to our neighborhood Kmart to pick it up and after riding it halfway home(maybe 2 miles), I turned around and returned it, all within a 1/2 hr period. Right across from Kmart was a street I refer to as the "Test Track" an old side street paved with uneven red brick that will jar your dental fillings out of their sockets. I rode it back and forth on this street for 5 minutes and it didn't pass muster so back she went to Kmart. Shortest period in my life I ever owned a Bike. I was NOT happy at all with the components/suspension . For $30 or the $79 you payed for it , it would be OK for an errand bike. If someone stole it(always a big possibility here in Miami) you wouldn't be out much. It seemed very "tinny" to me (shifting, braking ect) but at the price I bought it for($120), what could I expect? Personally I would rather buy an older but quality Cannondale Mountain Bike and change out the Tires and other parts as needed. I like my new Torker cargo-T much much better-feels like a SUV in comparison. Ya gets what ya pay for as the saying goes,,,

Last edited by miamimike; 03-18-10 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-19-10, 06:43 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought one last spring.. about 3 days before I returned it and bought my Trek 7000. I really like it. Had everything I wanted. However, I couldn't get it adjusted properly, since the frame was too small. I hated the front suspension and the suspension seat post, they were both too soft and not adjustable. Then to top it off the cassette fell apart. It started with a clunk every so often and 6 miles later it was spinning freely in every gear.

That's not to say I have anything against Huffy. My 20 year old Huffy MTB is going strong. I don't know if I got a dud or the quality has gone downhill.
Old 03-19-10, 07:33 AM
JPprivate
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what is surprising to me is to see a chainguard on a derailleur bike, that's not too common, and very practical for a commuter bike.
Old 03-19-10, 04:37 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

I love to get a chainguard for my Big Dummy. I have to use a velcro reflective band to keep my paints from being eaten.
Old 07-18-22, 03:45 PM
tornado60

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Saw this post and thought I'd share that I got one of these back when they came out. I went through it and made sure it worked properly. I rode it 40 miles in one day without a problem. Was my regular rider for a while. My main issue with it was the suspension seat post. But to be fair I doubt I would like that on any bike. I ended up giving to my sister who was looking for a nice upright bike to ride. I was looking to use drops for more hand positions. She isn't a long regular rider, but it is still going strong on original parts, save the tires wore out.
Old 07-19-22, 06:42 AM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by bugly64
I love to get a chainguard for my Big Dummy. I have to use a velcro reflective band to keep my paints from being eaten.
My wife ripped a pair of pants on a ride and now demands chainguards. I was going to build up her next bike as a 1x with a Velo-orange chainguard but looking around on European sites it seems the chainguards that work on multi chainring bikes are available over there. So far we haven't found one she likes the look of, but they're out there.
Old 07-25-22, 12:05 PM
tornado60

Originally Posted by m.c.
My wife ripped a pair of pants on a ride and now demands chainguards. I was going to build up her next bike as a 1x with a Velo-orange chainguard but looking around on European sites it seems the chainguards that work on multi chainring bikes are available over there. So far we haven't found one she likes the look of, but they're out there.
I always thought the Magellan's guard was just a modern cruiser guard with a notch in it for the derailleur to fit through. Just some food for thought.
Old 07-25-22, 12:35 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by tornado60
I always thought the Magellan's guard was just a modern cruiser guard with a notch in it for the derailleur to fit through. Just some food for thought.
I don't know what they are. I have seen chainguards advertised for multi chain rings. It may be how you described. I thought some were wider but don't know.
My wife thinks the plastic chainguards are ugly so I didn't bother ordering anything yet. I thought we may need to have something fabricated but I think we will probably only have a single chainring on whatever we end up getting for her.
Old 07-27-22, 12:03 PM
tornado60

Originally Posted by m.c.
I don't know what they are. I have seen chainguards advertised for multi chain rings. It may be how you described. I thought some were wider but don't know.
My wife thinks the plastic chainguards are ugly so I didn't bother ordering anything yet. I thought we may need to have something fabricated but I think we will probably only have a single chainring on whatever we end up getting for her.
I wouldn't be surprised if there are chainguards specially made for this purpose. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Huffy just notch one they already make.
Likes For tornado60: