Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seat rotates in dropper post

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-25-22, 06:41 AM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts

Howdy folks, quick mtb question. How do I stop a seat post from rotating within the dropper housing? The dropper itself is rock solid in the seat tube and does not move. The post has about 2 or 3mm of play, which doesn't sound like much, but ends up creating about a quarter inch of movement side to side when riding. Not a disaster but annoying and distracting when riding aggressively. Are internal parts worn and in need of replacement? Bike is 4 years old and has been ridden reasonably hard and fairly often in mountainous regions out west. Or is there something that simply needs to be tightened/adjusted? Thanks for all help and advice.
Old 09-25-22, 08:05 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 739 Posts
What make and model post is this and if you know have you looked at the mfrs. website for a manual? Maybe YouTube has vids for a diagnosis/rebuild as well.
Old 09-25-22, 11:13 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
ALL droppers have play. Some more than others. If you'd let us know what brand/model we might be able to advise on service, but...
Old 09-25-22, 12:22 PM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
It's a Giant Fathom, 2018 or maybe 2017, I'm storing it for a friend who currently doesn't have room for it and who doesn't mind if I use it. Dropper post seems to be Giant branded, from what I could see looking at the bike and online. Just now returned from a ride at the local forest preserve singletrack and the post is moving more than I initially thought, a solid inch or two but only to the left. The play to the right is still 2-3mm. With aggressive riding this morning the back and forth movement was much more of an issue.