Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Will Human Power Cycling Sunset?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Will Human Power Cycling Sunset?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-22, 02:08 PM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
a whale without a bicycle.

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
A few years? You mean a few decades. Unfortunately, in only a couple decades, humanity will have other problems (outlined in other posts) that will make sheer survival the main priority of most humans still living (if you want to call it that). And, as long as I am in buzzkill mode, might I observe that, other than Orca, the toothed whales aren't considered especially communicative. The baleen whales (Humpback, Right, Blue ...) are likely what you were thinking of. You Romantics are going to be the first to go. Not judging, I am more of a Romantic than not. But at least I am not in denial about how this all shakes out ...

The sperm whale (Physeter macrocephalus) is truly an animal of extremes. They have a complex social structure and a diverse communication system.Sperm whales are animals that form lifelong relationships, that babysit for each other, that have family traditions passed on by grandmothers, that learn a communal dialect, and have different ways of life that resemble our various cultures, some of which coexist in in multicultural societies. They live rich, complex and interesting lives that many of us would be surprise to learn about.

Communicate ? The Dominica Sperm Whale Project

there used to be a T-Shirt with a picture of a whale on a bike with the slogan underneath
'A WOMEN WITHOUT A MAN is like a WHALE WITHOUT A BICYCLE"

I may be a dreamer but my sailboat is ready. I'm taking my first gen Specialized Hard Rock with me and lots of vaseline to coat the bits that rust. I'm looking for something that isn't a small wheeled fold up. Any thoughts?

Last edited by brixxton; 12-01-22 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Pictures
Old 12-02-22, 06:24 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
What I see are bicyclists who ride trails and hills and bicyclists who use bikes for transportation. I could imagine the electric bikes to be becoming more popular for transportation.
You are 100% right about that. I just came back from Spain and honestly, everyone was on an e-bike. All the commuters, the delivery guys, everyone was on an bike. Honesty, it is a great thing.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 12-02-22, 12:47 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,607 Times in 2,909 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
You are 100% right about that. I just came back from Spain and honestly, everyone was on an e-bike. All the commuters, the delivery guys, everyone was on an bike. Honesty, it is a great thing.
Just about the same in Norway, where I was in Sept. Saw a handful of human powered bikes but the majority of bikes, scooters and cars (85% of all new car sales) were electric.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-05-22, 01:40 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
My wife and I started riding ebikes eight years ago when I turned 65. .Both of us casual cyclists, who probably racked up 100 miles in a summer. I thought we would ride more often, and we did. We've averaged 2500 miles each the last three years. Just did a 25 mile ride a few days ago when it turned sunny and hit upper 40's. Not bad for December in Chicago.

I think it keeps us in better shape than no riding at all, The first year I did lose 20 pounds, but haven't improved. My wife has lost quite a bit though, down to what she weighed when I met her.
Old 12-05-22, 06:18 AM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
and now for something completely different

The Ruscombe Gentleman's Steam Bicycle

Last edited by brixxton; 12-05-22 at 06:20 AM. Reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvS8wtnNQz4
Old 12-09-22, 02:14 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I hope it never sunsets! But the number of motor powered bikes/4 wheelers, etc. that I see the kids riding around our neighborhood has me wondering. Plus the greatly increasing numbers of e-bikes I enounter. I think there will always be those of us who want to rely on pedal power. I do, so long as I can, and at 72 and still feeling good, hoping to pedal for a long time to come. Some hills I used to ride up on the mtn.bike might become a walk up, but so far I haven't met a hill I was unable to walk if needed. The number of kids using other than pedal power has me concerned though.
Old 12-11-22, 03:14 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
The number of kids using other than pedal power has me concerned though.
What are you concerned about exactly?
Old 12-11-22, 10:07 PM
Chancy

Bikes: S&S Santana Beyond & S&S Santana Arriva. Trek Domane 3.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
What are you concerned about exactly?
Childhood obesity.

Tailwinds,
Chancy
Likes For Chancy:
Old 12-12-22, 12:55 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Zero percent of American children (and 2% of adult cyclists) ride a standard bicycle enough hours a week to make any measurable difference in their BMI vs using a bike that is e-assisted. If they are a normal weight it is due to diet and/or genetics. Human power will sunset, it is doing so as we speak. Still, with America having the least active cyclists of any country considered 'developed'; how can it possibly matter if even 10% (unlikely, more like 3%) went electric? 10% of 0.5% is still below any threshold of significance.
Old 12-12-22, 06:01 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Chancy
Childhood obesity.

Tailwinds,
Chancy
e-bikes are certainly not the cause of childhood obesity, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Old 12-12-22, 06:56 AM
freeranger

Powered "vehicles" (e-bike, electric mini-bike, etc.) may not contribute to obesity, but they don't contribute a lot to muscle tone either. Only talking about kids, adults have most likely developed their muscle tone, and have other reasons for choosing an e-bike.

Last edited by freeranger; 12-12-22 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-12-22, 07:11 AM
rvman

Bikes: Jamis commuter 2 , engwe EP-2 Pro 750 watt

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
At least when their on the electric powered anything , their not in front of a TV monitor where they definitely won't get any exercise.
Likes For rvman:
Old 12-12-22, 07:59 AM
PeteHski

Powered "vehicles" (e-bike, electric mini-bike, etc.) may not contribute to obesity, but they don't contribute a lot to muscle tone either. Only talking about kids, adults have most likely developed their muscle tone, and have other reasons for choosing an e-bike.
There are actually very few "kids" e-bikes on the market. The cost is prohibitive for most parents. Maybe where you live all the little kids are zooming around on e-bikes, but I don't see any of that here. Most kids are still riding manual bikes - if they are riding bikes.
Old 12-13-22, 12:34 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Powered "vehicles" (e-bike, electric mini-bike, etc.) may not contribute to obesity, but they don't contribute a lot to muscle tone either.
Reading books, playing musical instruments and/or painting don't do a darn thing for contributing to muscle tone or combating obesity; does that mean those activities are worthless and should be discouraged?
Old 12-13-22, 07:23 AM
freeranger

???? I was comparing different means of powering a bicycle, or other "vehicle" (and mainly by kids) vs using a motor. Other activities never entered the discussion. And the activities you mention have nothing to do with using muscle power on a bike vs a motor or motor assist. I never said you should curtail other activities, nor did they even enter the discussion. Now, if you want to discuss whether walking, running, or pushing a gas pedal in a car contributes more to muscle tone, then you have a comparison. But playing music (which I do), to riding a bike--two totally different pursuits. Sorry you are so defensive, but don't see your point.

Last edited by freeranger; 12-13-22 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-13-22, 01:08 PM
PeteHski

???? I was comparing different means of powering a bicycle, or other "vehicle" (and mainly by kids) vs using a motor. Other activities never entered the discussion. And the activities you mention have nothing to do with using muscle power on a bike vs a motor or motor assist. I never said you should curtail other activities, nor did they even enter the discussion. Now, if you want to discuss whether walking, running, or pushing a gas pedal in a car contributes more to muscle tone, then you have a comparison. But playing music (which I do), to riding a bike--two totally different pursuits. Sorry you are so defensive, but don't see your point.
Can you link to some examples of e-bikes being ridden mainly by kids?
Old 12-13-22, 02:06 PM
freeranger

I never said they were ridden mostly by kids. Read post #62 completely--I'm outta here. No sense getting into a pi**ing contest. Might as well state that I was discussing playing music! Bottom line---kids, who are still growing and developing muscle tone, will get a better workout and develop more muscle tone while riding a pedal powered bike vs an e-bike or other motorized or motor assisted transportation.

Last edited by freeranger; 12-13-22 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-13-22, 04:26 PM
PeteHski

I never said they were ridden mostly by kids. Read post #62 completely--I'm outta here. No sense getting into a pi**ing contest. Might as well state that I was discussing playing music! Bottom line---kids, who are still growing and developing muscle tone, will get a better workout and develop more muscle tone while riding a pedal powered bike vs an e-bike or other motorized or motor assisted transportation.
What I'm getting at is that e-bikes are way too expensive for 99% of those kids, so it simply isn't an issue. Also most ordinary kids riding around on normal bikes are not really all that focused on developing muscle tone anyway. This idea that e-bikes are going to undermine the fitness of the next generation is laughable.
Old 12-13-22, 06:10 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12188 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
Europe is going through a historic bike boom. It's not just bikes, either. Cities are turning their cities into bike friendly places. Ebikes are outselling regular bikes, and that is making for longer cycling commutes. This is more than what we would call a boom.

Bottom line: build a safer city, and people will ride. It's happening all over Europe. Paris used to be a white knuckle experience on a bike, now it's bike friendly.

Because we are stupid, this will happen here, eventually. If Northern Europe can get bike friendly, anybody can. Just so you know, money is not the problem, it's politics.

If you've never lived in a people friendly city, you're missing something.

Likes For late:
Old 12-13-22, 07:30 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,975 Times in 565 Posts
There are actually very few "kids" e-bikes on the market. The cost is prohibitive for most parents. Maybe where you live all the little kids are zooming around on e-bikes, but I don't see any of that here. Most kids are still riding manual bikes - if they are riding bikes.
In my hood, I would estimate that 80+% of the people on ebikes are preteens.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 12-14-22, 06:36 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Biker395
In my hood, I would estimate that 80+% of the people on ebikes are preteens.
Beverly Hills? Which of these e-bikes are you seeing all these pre-teens riding?

https://rascalrides.com/kids-electric-bikes/

Our pre-teen does happen to ride an e-bike: https://www.ben-e-bike.net/en/ben-e-...power-pro_140/
But they are hellishly expensive and I've seen literally zero other kid's e-bikes out in the wild.

I suspect we are talking about completely different things here.
Old 12-14-22, 07:21 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Beverly Hills? Which of these e-bikes are you seeing all these pre-teens riding?

https://rascalrides.com/kids-electric-bikes/

Our pre-teen does happen to ride an e-bike: https://www.ben-e-bike.net/en/ben-e-...power-pro_140/
But they are hellishly expensive and I've seen literally zero other kid's e-bikes out in the wild.

I suspect we are talking about completely different things here.
Coastal Southern California. Not exactly Beverly Hills, but reasonably affluent. I don't think we are talking completely different things at all.

What kind of ebikes? All kinds. Some are clearly throttle controlled, others I suspect are pedal controlled. Some are cargo looking bikes, others look to be cheaply modified with an external battery. About the only kind of ebike I don't see pre-teens riding are e-road bikes like this.

Old 12-14-22, 10:00 AM
PeteHski

Coastal Southern California. Not exactly Beverly Hills, but reasonably affluent. I don't think we are talking completely different things at all.

What kind of ebikes? All kinds. Some are clearly throttle controlled, others I suspect are pedal controlled. Some are cargo looking bikes, others look to be cheaply modified with an external battery. About the only kind of ebike I don't see pre-teens riding are e-road bikes like this.
Given that the kid's e-bike market is a tiny niche compared to adult e-bikes, this idea that 80% of ebikers you see are pre-teens doesn't really stack up. I'm sure it varies somewhat by location, but 99% of e-bikes sold here in the UK are adult sizes. I know this from first hand experience of buying kid's e-bikes i.e. they are actually very hard to get hold of. Throttle controlled e-bikes are pretty much non-existent on this side of the pond. They are all pedal assist bikes. There are kids on electric scooters etc, but I don't count those as bikes.
Old 12-14-22, 10:06 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Given that the kid's e-bike market is a tiny niche compared to adult e-bikes, this idea that 80% of ebikers you see are pre-teens doesn't really stack up. I'm sure it varies somewhat by location, but 99% of e-bikes sold here in the UK are adult sizes. I know this from first hand experience of buying kid's e-bikes i.e. they are actually very hard to get hold of. Throttle controlled e-bikes are pretty much non-existent on this side of the pond. They are all pedal assist bikes. There are kids on electric scooters etc, but I don't count those as bikes.
I think you're assuming I am speaking about small bikes designed only for kids. I am talking about what at least appear to be adult bikes in smaller sizes, not bikes designed for first time children riders. And I think my description of "pre-teens" may be a bit off. I am speaking of a demographic that appears to be 10-15 years old. I guess pre-driving age would be a better description.

Old 12-14-22, 10:17 AM
PeteHski

I think you're assuming I am speaking about small bikes designed only for kids. I am talking about what at least appear to be adult bikes in smaller sizes, not bikes designed for first time children riders. And I think my description of "pre-teens" may be a bit off. I am speaking of a demographic that appears to be 10-15 years old. I guess pre-driving age would be a better description.
Given that you called them "pre-teens", what else would I assume? For me that's the 10-12 age group. Not the kind of demographic that would routinely have $1500+ tied up in e-bikes. It's very much a niche market that I have some first hand experience with. Teenagers riding adult e-bikes are a bit more common, but the cost tends to limit that market somewhat too.

I just don't believe e-bikes will have any influence whatsoever on kid's fitness levels. Not that you said they would, but that's what the other poster was implying. It's laughable at best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.