Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

More gasoline on the fire - Electronic Shifting

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

More gasoline on the fire - Electronic Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-23, 03:14 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4402 Post(s)
Liked 4,851 Times in 3,001 Posts
Originally Posted by BT7274
So verbose and comical.
Why do you need to charge a bike or download an app to ride a bike? Do you also have to get software updates? Are there microtransactions involved? What happens when the OS is no longer supported? Can you tinker with it, or do you have to give the mechanic a headache?
If those things are challenging for you then fair enough. But for most people they are trivial. Using an App for setup is optional too, at least with SRAM.
Old 03-16-23, 03:21 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,678 Posts
It's been a while since I've been here. The Borg hive mind is still the same. Especially in the roadie forum. So tasty.
Never change, Bikeforums.
https://youtube.com/shorts/sygwneT1IyA?feature=share
All that scratchin' is makin' me itch.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-16-23, 03:29 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
If those things are challenging for you then fair enough. But for most people they are trivial. Using an App for setup is optional too, at least with SRAM.
i rode my di2 bike thousands of miles before looking at the app, and have actually never changed anything. no OS updates or anything to worry about. it is entirely optional once the bike is put together - and might even be optional then depending on the setup. i wonder if the people railing against the complexity of di2/axs have ever actually used such a bike. you literally don’t have to do anything except charge the battery every few months.

you just get on the bike and ride it, like any other bike. except it always shifts perfectly.
Old 03-16-23, 03:40 PM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,678 Posts
It's been a while since I've been here. The Borg hive mind is still the same. Especially in the roadie forum. So tasty.
Never change, Bikeforums.
https://youtube.com/shorts/sygwneT1IyA?feature=share

Old 03-16-23, 06:00 PM
ummed

Bikes: 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2, 2012 S-Works Venge, 2014 Specialized CruX Pro, 2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Old 03-16-23, 06:22 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
I will be drawing the line at, "I can't ride my bike today because it won't connect to the internet." We're not there yet, but it's coming soon (probably).

All my bikes are still mechanical shifting, but I've been shopping for an AXS upgrade for my MTB. I would like to go Di2 for my road bike, but that's a bigger challenge since it's currently Campy. My gravel bike, however, will probably stay mechanical.
Old 03-16-23, 07:22 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
The only time I needed the SRAM AP was to configure the 12 speed AXS Blipbox to use on a 11 Speed Etap rig. Otherwise, never needed it. The old etap blipbox had fragile connectors. Yes, I broke one
Old 03-16-23, 10:16 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I will be drawing the line at, "I can't ride my bike today because it won't connect to the internet." We're not there yet, but it's coming soon (probably).
Geez, hope not.

All my bikes are still mechanical shifting, but I've been shopping for an AXS upgrade for my MTB. I would like to go Di2 for my road bike, but that's a bigger challenge since it's currently Campy. My gravel bike, however, will probably stay mechanical.
Why? I think e-shifting may be more beneficial for the more challenging terrain in gravel riding than for road riding. E-shifting is also cheaper for 1X. And if the road bike snaps a RD shift cable, I can call my wife or Uber XL. If the gravel bike snaps a RD shift cable, I may have to walk a while before I can get a ride.
Old 03-16-23, 10:27 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Why? I think e-shifting may be more beneficial for the more challenging terrain in gravel riding than for road riding. E-shifting is also cheaper for 1X. And if the road bike snaps a RD shift cable, I can call my wife or Uber XL. If the gravel bike snaps a RD shift cable, I may have to walk a while before I can get a ride.
Because upgrading to Di2 would cost more than I paid for the bike - lol. When/if I change my MTB to e-shift, maybe I will change my mind about how much I need it on my gravel bike.
Old 03-17-23, 03:02 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo

And I certainly won't be an immature dweeb who makes comments about people and technology that I don't happen to agree with. But I wouldn't ever be sad if I wouldn't be able to have a bike with electronic shifting, now that I've tried it.
Yep, I've got Di2 Dura-Ace, but if I had the choice between Di2 Ultegra or mechanical Dura-Ace, I'd take the Dura-Ace.

It's pretty cool in a couple of ways, ie working flawlessly with no maintenance, and nifty features like synchro and programmable buttons, but like I tried to assert earlier, it's also missing something.

I thought I made a half-decent attempt at trying to explain it with the tactile purity thing, but folks only wanted to quibble. But I'm fairly sure anyone actually wanting to understand can get the gist.

My 9070 bike is pretty damn sweet; I went the hack on a 2006 frame to hide Di2 inside it all the way, with cable hangers all shaved. But I'd actually prefer 9000 on a frame as nice as mine (the first ISP TCR), with internal cable routing, properly implemented.

I was a mechanic for a while, and I can tell you that last part - not very much of a thing, unfortunately. Plenty of half-alright, and a bit of downright terrible out there, not a whole lot of proper to be had when it comes to internal cable routing.

That's a big selling point for electronic, one of the best reasons - otherwise high performance bike totally let down by corners cut inside. Looking squarely at you, first generation Propel.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 03-17-23, 03:57 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts

For what it’s worth- you can grab 105Di2 complete groupset at Lordgun for $1258

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
The only time I needed the SRAM AP was to configure the 12 speed AXS Blipbox to use on a 11 Speed Etap rig. Otherwise, never needed it. The old etap blipbox had fragile connectors. Yes, I broke one
I use the phone app every time I take my bike off of the trainer to re-index for my wheels. 3 pushes of an arrow and it’s all set. If I forget I can do it while riding and never get off the bike- can’t do that with mechanical.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 03-17-23, 04:55 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Kimmo

I thought I made a half-decent attempt at trying to explain it with the tactile purity thing, but folks only wanted to quibble. But I'm fairly sure anyone actually wanting to understand can get the gist.
The problem I have with the tactile feel argument is that there's nothing particularly great about the tactile feel of a road brifter. Moving to electronic shifting just highlighted to me how naff it is to have a floppy brake lever. You might just be able to sell me on a mechanical mtb trigger shifter, or even an old-school indexed DF shifter, but even then the click of a shifter is not something that really enhances my biking experience. So I'll take that loss (if that's what we are calling it) over the hassle of cables.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-17-23, 05:10 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Or you could get a Camapgnolo Chorus groupset for the same price, that will shift just as well, work just as well, might last longer and be over one pound lighter.
Old 03-17-23, 05:12 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 265 Posts
I've built and serviced a few Di2 bikes over the past year and they are pretty sweet. The older 'wired' kit is a bit of a pain in the ass to build as there are far more wires than there are cables in a mech system but not to big a deal.
Setting them up...adjusting the derailleurs...is about the same whether electronic or mech...just a different method of adjusting.
Once set up electronic is sweet...just a light touch of the lever, front or rear, and the shift is made. A nice mechanical system also requires a light touch but no where near what an electronic system is like. The mech front der though still does require more force than just the light touch of the electronic.
I've not had to replace any electronic parts due to failure...just adjustment here and there...and generally once set up you don't have to touch them again even updates are generally not needed unless there is a problem of some sort the update may 'fix'.
I've not noticed many 'during event' failures or problems though one of my friends had a complete failure of his 10 speed Di2 system just before a race. He whined about how it sucked and electronic was awful but it turned out he never charged his battery since buying the bike...used but very nice...he said he forgot all about it but he is forgiven as he is a complete luddite and doesn't even have wifi or cable at his home and just bought his 'first' cell phone last year lol. Since then he has never had another problem.
My bike...'22 Aethos...runs Ultegra mech, even brakes. This is because I had the parts and didn't want to spend the money on Di2. If I had the ready cash I'd switch over to Di2 but not likely as my bike weights 15.3lbs with mech and the money spent will be better used for 'getaways'.
Enjoy and ride what you have...
Old 03-17-23, 05:25 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Or you could get a Camapgnolo Chorus groupset for the same price, that will shift just as well, work just as well, might last longer and be over one pound lighter.
Except his comment was specifically about Di2 costing more than his bike and that it is something he’s interested in. I don’t have a problem with people that prefer mechanical, just stop ******g preaching at those of us who like electronic
Old 03-17-23, 07:22 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09

I use the phone app every time I take my bike off of the trainer to re-index for my wheels. 3 pushes of an arrow and it’s all set. If I forget I can do it while riding and never get off the bike- can’t do that with mechanical.
I just do it from the lever in 3 seconds but as long as the derailleur hanger isn't bent, I can't recall ever needing to adjust. It does take almost 1 second longer than a barrel adjuster, so, advantage to mechanical
Old 03-17-23, 06:52 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
... In a broader approach, 2 major upgrades affected road bikes during the last years: disk brakes and electronic shifting. They both are better than the old system (rim brakes and mechanical shifting).
Writing as someone who has both, I'd say more accurately, I'd call them market changes, not upgrades. I will give you that "many (maybe even most) people think they are both..." But that doesn't mean they are both universally and objectively better. Especially in the case of electronic shifting, less so for discs.

...Do the changes solve well known issues of the old systems? Not quite, I think, at least for non-pro riders.
"Not quite" for other than pro riders? I don't think that many or most riders experience a meaningful deficiency with rim brakes, at least outside the MTB sector. And virtually none when it comes to shifting.

For some riders under some circumstances, certainly. But I'm not even sure that pro riders had meaningful, competitive problems with rim brakes and manual shifting for the most part (certainly sometimes though).

.. worth the “penalty” in weight and costs? That is a matter of individual preference.
Absolutely. And that's why the market change is succeeding. Especially hydraulic discs are sought by a lot of riders, probably all MTB riders and a bunch of road riders. And I chose to get a bike with both.

And that value/price/weight value is sometimes actually worth it because of improved function. But I think that often (usually?) people want it just because it's the "latest and greatest" (electronic shifting especially, discs sometimes too). But also often, especially in the case of discs, most riders get them just because it's getting to be all that's available nowadays. Success of the market change (I won't blame it on the nefarious "big bike" but just a change in market driven by Big Bike and the consumer).

All those factors applied to my purchase a couple of years ago. I wanted to try the latest/greatest (electronic) and I'd never tried hydraulic discs even though I'd never felt a need for them, so I wanted to try them. Finally the bike I wanted only came with discs.

They're both great, but didn't at all address any deficiency that I've ever experienced personally. I think this applies to the great majority of riders.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-17-23 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-18-23, 07:30 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Camilo

They're both great, but didn't at all address any deficiency that I've ever experienced personally. I think this applies to the great majority of riders.
While I would agree (especially for shifting), there doesn't need to be a deficiency to benefit from an improvement. Most technical things improve incrementally over time and bicycles are no exception. Electronic shifting is just a refinement of the derailleur drivetrain. Hydraulic disc brakes are a little more than that, but that's off-topic and been flogged to death many times!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-18-23, 08:55 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11967 Post(s)
Liked 6,635 Times in 3,479 Posts
Have you been in prison for the last decade?
Take it easy, pal.
Old 03-19-23, 08:01 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
I found this.
I thought it was cool.
Electronic shifting for the C&V

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 03-19-23, 12:22 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I found this.
I thought it was cool.
Electronic shifting for the C&V
That's like putting a pork sausage on a vegan entree.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-19-23, 07:58 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
That's like putting a pork sausage on a vegan entree.
That would make a vegan entree better, obviously.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-19-23, 08:32 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
Di3 will tell you, loudly, to clean your derailleur.

Di3.1 will let you turn that off.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 03-20-23, 12:47 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 645 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
I don't think that a campy chorus will be longer lasting that shimano 105, this is a just personal opinion.