Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Clipless vs. Platform Pedals for Long Distance Riding

Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling
View Poll Results: Clipless or Platform or Other
Clipless all the way!
54.95%
Nothin' but Regular Platform Pedals!
19.78%
Other/Both/Whatever
25.27%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Clipless vs. Platform Pedals for Long Distance Riding

Old 08-31-14, 02:50 PM
Rapido
Green lights for all

Location: Ohio, Germany, Florida, West Virginia, and then Georgia now

Bikes: Fuji Team SL 20 spd, Nishiki, Mercian 12 spd. Alan 10 spd, Frejus, Bauer, Motobecane, Schwinn, JC Higgins 3 spd, Columbia coaster brake, Magna BMX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jawbone
Since developing neuropathy in my feet a few years ago after chemotherapy, I have a really hard time getting my feet comfortable. Using platform pedals for my commute and long FLAT distances work really well, but I get very nervous climbing without my SPDs. Fear of slipping off when I'm standing hard on the pedals…

I'm thinking of going for an extra large, extra wide clip less boot to see if that helps. I find the extra room in my sneakers helps the big dogs stay comfy.
Scope out Power Grips straps.
Old 09-02-14, 06:34 AM
meanwhile

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jawbone
Since developing neuropathy in my feet a few years ago after chemotherapy, I have a really hard time getting my feet comfortable. Using platform pedals for my commute and long FLAT distances work really well, but I get very nervous climbing without my SPDs. Fear of slipping off when I'm standing hard on the pedals…
Use MTB/BMX pedals - lots of surface area and the pins provide plenty of lock

..People use this sort of pedal for singlespeed mountain biking.

Last edited by meanwhile; 09-02-14 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-02-14, 06:39 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Donnie Johnson
I use to prefer clipless pedals and wore them for years and years, however I developed a bad case of intermetatarsal bursitis and can no longer wear clipless shoes. They are too narrow for my feat and the tiny amount of compression drives my feet crazy. At first I thought that I would really struggle riding ultra distance without them however I have found very little difference. Perhaps if anything the muscles in my legs have developed slightly differently to counter for pedaling different, not so much round and round but round, up and down. I easily ride 200+ km in around 11 hrs.

I don't think that clipless pedals make as much difference to your riding compared to you perception of how you are riding.

Donnie
All the science seems to say that's the case. People swear by them, but strain gauges and powermeters say that the only time being locked to a pedal provides anything other than a psychological advantage is during a standing sprint.

I get worried when I hear people use clipless because without them they have a bad ankle orientation: to me this suggests a fit problem and I can't how locking the foot will remove it - instead it *may* transfer the problem to excessive strain on wear on a joint. But that's an amateur opinion and I'm prone to psychomsomatic ilnesses.
Old 09-02-14, 07:04 AM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
spd 530s for the road bike and I'll be doing the double sided platform/ clip on my touring bike so I can use casual shoes around town and clip in for the longer stints
Old 09-02-14, 07:14 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Originally Posted by meanwhile
I get worried when I hear people use clipless because without them they have a bad ankle orientation: to me this suggests a fit problem and I can't how locking the foot will remove it - instead it *may* transfer the problem to excessive strain on wear on a joint.
in my case, I think it's the opposite, I develop issues if I ride with platforms too long because I'm sloppy about how I put my feet on the pedals and then pain slowly develops. I'm sure if I rode platforms all the time I would eventually become more cognizant of my foot position
Old 09-02-14, 02:33 PM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
in my case, I think it's the opposite, I develop issues if I ride with platforms too long because I'm sloppy about how I put my feet on the pedals and then pain slowly develops. I'm sure if I rode platforms all the time I would eventually become more cognizant of my foot position
Ah, then you should be ok - but when people are forced into poor foot placement (rather than "choose" it) then there's often a problem either seat position or the crank arms.
Old 09-02-14, 03:57 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I use clipless on my road bike (SPDs) and strapless clips on my hybrid. I used to have strapless clips on both, but find I get a tad more power with the clipless pedals, plus they solved my (mild) toe overlap issue.
Old 09-07-14, 12:22 PM
ronfinch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode 6/700 miles recently in normal trainers rather than my spd shoes in fairly close to brevet sort of times, (I have the same pedals as Machka has which has both options), and it was fine. I actually didn't have room in my minimal kit to fit a second pair of shoes or I would have had my spd's! As it happens, reading this forum today has made me realise I need to change my 14 year old mountain biking spds as I have problems with my feet when I wear them and think I need something better quality and stiffer!
Old 09-07-14, 12:33 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use clipless nearly all the time. I used to race, and some sort of foot retention system is pretty much essential when racing.

However, for ordinary purposes I think the advantages are pretty small. Out of the saddle sprinting, or hard climbing, definitely. Just riding, even for long distances, not so much. But if you're going to use platforms for randonneuring I'd definitely recommend biggish platforms and stiff-soled shoes.
Old 09-07-14, 12:34 PM
ronfinch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would too, actually, even if I think you can do fine without..!
Old 09-07-14, 07:16 PM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I've considered trying clipless again, but I find lately I intentionally position my foot differently when climbing. I have a nasty habit of "ankling", resulting in pain in my left Achilles tendon, and when pedaling hard I tend to point my toes downward, which only makes this worse. I can mentally overcome this habit when cruising along at an easy or moderate pace, but when I'm going hard I can't seem to maintain the same pedal stroke. So on long climbs I'll place my foot so that the pedal is closer to the arch of my foot. And yet, there are times when I think I'd prefer to be clipped in (and might benefit from it).

Of note: This pain in my ankle makes it next to impossible for me to ride much over 40 miles, which means, unless I can figure out a solution, I can't do any rides of longer distances.
Old 09-11-14, 07:55 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I have normal SPD's on my commute bike but I put those Shimano reflector/platform thingies on one side of each pedal so it's kind of like a Machka set up. I have a lot of stop & go on my commute (and usually in the dark) so those work for that application. Shoes are most often 6-6-1 sandals, with Answer full-shoes on the rare cold days.

For long distance rides, any kind of recreational ride (except moutain biking) I use Shimano SPD-SL's. Very comfortable, easy in and out; absolutely no problems or issues with SPD-SL's. I mostly use either Lake or Sidi road shoes with these.

On my mountain bike I have normal SPD's, with either side available for clipping in. I use these with 6-6-1 mountain bike shoes which also quite walk/hike-able.

For my grocery-getter / Post Office / Bank errand bike (1957 Hercules 3-Speed) I use platform pedals and whatever shoes I happen to have on.

The key (for me) is to pick the right pedal/shoe combination for the specific application (ride type). Of course, your pedals (and shoes) may vary!

Rick / OCRR
Old 09-13-14, 08:55 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamplight
I've considered trying clipless again, but I find lately I intentionally position my foot differently when climbing. I have a nasty habit of "ankling", resulting in pain in my left Achilles tendon, and when pedaling hard I tend to point my toes downward, which only makes this worse. I can mentally overcome this habit when cruising along at an easy or moderate pace, but when I'm going hard I can't seem to maintain the same pedal stroke. So on long climbs I'll place my foot so that the pedal is closer to the arch of my foot. And yet, there are times when I think I'd prefer to be clipped in (and might benefit from it).

Of note: This pain in my ankle makes it next to impossible for me to ride much over 40 miles, which means, unless I can figure out a solution, I can't do any rides of longer distances.
Solution is very simple really: concentrate on every aspect of every pedal stroke during the whole ride. That's how it's done. "Heels down, pedal round." Don't ankle. Ignore your foot angle and simply pedal with your heel cups. Your ankles will take care of themselves.
Old 09-14-14, 07:41 PM
Lamplight

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Solution is very simple really: concentrate on every aspect of every pedal stroke during the whole ride. That's how it's done. "Heels down, pedal round." Don't ankle. Ignore your foot angle and simply pedal with your heel cups. Your ankles will take care of themselves.
I try to concentrate on my pedal stroke and I even do fairly well...until I hit a bad hill. When I have to put forth more effort, I forget to concentrate on my pedal stroke and automatically start ankling. I know I need to concentrate on my pedal stroke all the time, but I don't know how to actually do that. And I can pedal using other parts of my feet, but that gets old pretty quickly and when I have to really pedal hard, it seems I don't have as much strength unless I'm pedaling closer to the ball of my foot. Well, I plan to do a long-ish ride later this week; I'll just try to concentrate harder.
Old 09-14-14, 08:54 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I try to concentrate on my pedal stroke and I even do fairly well...until I hit a bad hill. When I have to put forth more effort, I forget to concentrate on my pedal stroke and automatically start ankling. I know I need to concentrate on my pedal stroke all the time, but I don't know how to actually do that. And I can pedal using other parts of my feet, but that gets old pretty quickly and when I have to really pedal hard, it seems I don't have as much strength unless I'm pedaling closer to the ball of my foot. Well, I plan to do a long-ish ride later this week; I'll just try to concentrate harder.
Ah, that's right - I was forgetting that you are having an aversion to clipless. What I suggested only works with clipless. One needs to be able to disregard the fact of shoe/pedal attachment and ride as though the bike were a simple extension of your skeleton. Hadn't really thought about it, but am very thankful that so far my body parts have been permanently attached to one another. How awkward if that were not the case. Hoping I don't sound rude or at least not too rude - but that's how it works. The footbone's connected to the pedalbone, the pedalbone's connected to the crankbone . . .praised be Shimano.
Old 09-14-14, 10:41 PM
Lamplight

Ah, that's right - I was forgetting that you are having an aversion to clipless. What I suggested only works with clipless. One needs to be able to disregard the fact of shoe/pedal attachment and ride as though the bike were a simple extension of your skeleton. Hadn't really thought about it, but am very thankful that so far my body parts have been permanently attached to one another. How awkward if that were not the case. Hoping I don't sound rude or at least not too rude - but that's how it works. The footbone's connected to the pedalbone, the pedalbone's connected to the crankbone . . .praised be Shimano.
I'm afraid I don't understand this post. But thanks anyway.
Old 09-14-14, 10:51 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
I spend most of my time riding clipless... nerve damage in my back and neuropathy in my left leg causes my left foot to drift so being clipped in keeps things in place and aligned while clipping in on the right allows me to spin efficiently with the good leg (which does more work).

I also use clips and straps on some bicycles and a few have toothier half step pedals which do a better job of keeping my feet positioned but I do not ride those bikes long distances.

Over the past two weekends I rode 222 km and 125 km and in both cases was wearing my Keen Springwater II shoes and running M324 pedals... my feet were in a state of bliss the whole time.
Old 09-14-14, 11:00 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts

One: I think I have mentioned that you set your saddle really high which contributes to a toes down position.

Two: Try and increase your cadence and spin a lower gear, faster.

Three: If you do try clipless again try setting the cleats farther back, this helps with power on climbs by engaging the major leg muscles instead of the minor (lower) muscles.
Old 09-15-14, 07:22 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Look at mtn bike shoes. I wear Lake cycling shoes ... they look a little bit like hiking shoes but they've got the cleats. I've done a lot of walking in those shoes, including a few short hikes.
I do Lake and Keen touring sandals on crank brothers, very walk-able.
Old 09-15-14, 06:37 PM
Lamplight

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
One: I think I have mentioned that you set your saddle really high which contributes to a toes down position.

Two: Try and increase your cadence and spin a lower gear, faster.

Three: If you do try clipless again try setting the cleats farther back, this helps with power on climbs by engaging the major leg muscles instead of the minor (lower) muscles.
You did mention my seat height, and I lowered it as a result, but I still find myself pointing my toes downward. And if I lower it any more I'm afraid it will start hurting my knees. As it is right now, I can pedal with my heels and my knees are still slightly bent.

I generally spin more than mash because my knees aren't so great, but I'll try to pay more attention to my cadence. And there are some especially steep hills here where I'm in my easiest gear and simply have to either mash the pedals or just get off and walk. That's with a 26t chainring and 32t rear cog!
Old 09-16-14, 10:47 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I also have a Windsor Tourist that I ride on the Katy Trail in Missouri. I use Egg Beater pedals with recessed cleats on mountain bike shoes.

I've done a number of 12- and 24-hour races back in the day. Twice I had to stop at about 160 miles due to knee pain. Once it was because big dummy here was just mashing the pedals at a low RPM and the other time because my seat post had slipped about an inch lower.

I'd hate to think what would have happened to my knees on such long rides if I wasn't wearing clipless pedals. They keep my feet pretty well locked into an ideal position. Also they allow me to pedal faster than on platform pedals or even when using toe clips. Plus my feet probably would be sliding all over the place on platform pedals..
Old 09-16-14, 10:45 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
As it is right now, I can pedal with my heels and my knees are still slightly bent.
That's good. Just focus on not pointing your toes down and see how that goes. It's kind of like scraping mud off the bottom of your shoe.
Old 09-17-14, 12:19 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

You did mention my seat height, and I lowered it as a result, but I still find myself pointing my toes downward. And if I lower it any more I'm afraid it will start hurting my knees. As it is right now, I can pedal with my heels and my knees are still slightly bent.

I generally spin more than mash because my knees aren't so great, but I'll try to pay more attention to my cadence. And there are some especially steep hills here where I'm in my easiest gear and simply have to either mash the pedals or just get off and walk. That's with a 26t chainring and 32t rear cog!
And that's the thing with clipless: you don't mash. You simply rotate your feet smoothly, though slowly, and up you go. I'm not particularly strong, but I can climb 10% seated in a 42 X 17 gear. That translates to a cadence of about 35 for me.

Prepping for a century with some steep climbs, Stoker and I were out yesterday on our tandem, climbing 1900'/hr at 50 cadence. The trick is to pedal smoothly, no upper body motion, arms relaxed.

Never walk! I'm against it philosophically.
Old 09-17-14, 06:09 PM
Lamplight

And that's the thing with clipless: you don't mash. You simply rotate your feet smoothly, though slowly, and up you go. I'm not particularly strong, but I can climb 10% seated in a 42 X 17 gear. That translates to a cadence of about 35 for me.

Prepping for a century with some steep climbs, Stoker and I were out yesterday on our tandem, climbing 1900'/hr at 50 cadence. The trick is to pedal smoothly, no upper body motion, arms relaxed.

Never walk! I'm against it philosophically.
I've wondered if using clipless pedals would help me to pedal more smoothly. And I definitely need to work on keeping my upper body relaxed and minimizing my movement there. On particularly bad climbs, I find myself really pulling on the bars, which I have to remind myself to avoid. I also feel that having cycling-specific shoes would probably help me a bit, too. I've tried some clipless pedals in the past, but they were ancient Look pedals that had seen better days, and I was using them to ride around town instead of long rides out of the city. So needless to say, they didn't work well for me. But I think modern clipless pedals would work well with the sort of riding I do now.
Old 09-17-14, 07:17 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I've wondered if using clipless pedals would help me to pedal more smoothly. And I definitely need to work on keeping my upper body relaxed and minimizing my movement there. On particularly bad climbs, I find myself really pulling on the bars, which I have to remind myself to avoid. I also feel that having cycling-specific shoes would probably help me a bit, too. I've tried some clipless pedals in the past, but they were ancient Look pedals that had seen better days, and I was using them to ride around town instead of long rides out of the city. So needless to say, they didn't work well for me. But I think modern clipless pedals would work well with the sort of riding I do now.
Well, yeah! Most rando folks around here use MTB shoes and SPD pedals, so the shoes are walkable. "Inexpensive" MTB shoes are ~$100. You want a good fit and the stiffest sole you can get for the money. Performance is selling Shimano MTB pedals for $40 right now.