Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Crank Shorteners or..."

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Crank Shorteners or..."

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-21, 02:47 PM
72andsunny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Crank Shorteners or..."

Just got my oldest out of the child stoker kit. I'm happy to be a few pounds lighter!

The primary cranks on the bike are 170 mm, which is a bit long for her and is causing a hitch at the bottom of her pedal stroke. Before I wreck her knees, hips, or whatever, I figure I should do something about that.

So does anyone have a set of crank shorteners, shorter cranks, or anything else that would be useful laying around that they'd like to part with?

I had been planning on using the child stoker cranks, but I'd have to reverse them to get the chainrings on the correct side and thinking about the pedal threading is giving me a headache.

Last edited by 72andsunny; 10-05-21 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-06-21, 11:06 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I would check on Tandem Classifieds dot com and also on Ebay and your local Craigslist. Shorteners are not only used on tandems. You might find them anywhere. You won't find them free. I saw a set that I was interested in for my wife. They were running about 1/2 of new and that is about as good as you will see. But, just saying, there really isn't such a thing as 'too long cranks'. If there is a 'hitch' in her pedal stroke then her seat is too high. Maybe it can't go any lower? That is a different problem. What kind of tandem is it? Was she really done with the child stoker kit? Seems to me with the little info I have on it that another season with the kit on would be the cheaper solution?
Old 10-06-21, 11:16 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Yes, Tandems East has two options for shorteners that will fit your cranks or for a much higher cost the da Vinci cranks with pedal holes along the crank arm.
https://tandemseast.com/cranks-eccen...edals-related/
Old 10-06-21, 01:27 PM
72andsunny

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I would check on Tandem Classifieds dot com and also on Ebay and your local Craigslist. Shorteners are not only used on tandems. You might find them anywhere. You won't find them free. I saw a set that I was interested in for my wife. They were running about 1/2 of new and that is about as good as you will see. But, just saying, there really isn't such a thing as 'too long cranks'. If there is a 'hitch' in her pedal stroke then her seat is too high. Maybe it can't go any lower? That is a different problem. What kind of tandem is it? Was she really done with the child stoker kit? Seems to me with the little info I have on it that another season with the kit on would be the cheaper solution?

You are correct--removing the child stoker kit was mostly because I have a ten year old teenager and I could no longer handle the constant complaining. With the kidback on, her handlebars were a couple of inches lower than her seat, which she found uncomfortable--and was leading to constant complaining. A lesser man would stop trying to bicycle with his children. I had considered a longer stem, but the stock stems are already pushing the limits of what's commercially available. I had attempted lowering the pedals of the kidback, but this caused the primary cranks to collide with the spider of the stoker cranks. Her seat is now about a half inch from where it needs to be due to the handlebars behind her which are taking up pretty close to 2 inches of seatpost. I'm now leaning towards a set of shorter cranks, but the availability is so limited right now.
Old 10-06-21, 01:29 PM
72andsunny

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul J
Yes, Tandems East has two options for shorteners that will fit your cranks or for a much higher cost the da Vinci cranks with pedal holes along the crank arm.
https://tandemseast.com/cranks-eccen...edals-related/
Thanks, I like the da Vinci option, but I'm figuring this is a problem that goes away in less than 6 months.
Old 10-06-21, 01:37 PM
72andsunny

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Broke down and ordered Ride2 shorteners from Modern Bike. They'll ship them free to Hawaii, so that made the $130 more palatable. Hoping Stoker #2 doesn't have a growth spurt and also demand to have her kidback removed.
Old 10-06-21, 04:24 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 272 Posts
I had crank arm shorteners and a trailer cycle with a child cart hooked to the trailer cycle on our Tandem. I'm waiting for my grandson to age enough for the trailer cycle. In the mean time I am looking at the Singletrailer and here is my favorite
review of the Singletrailer.