Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The 2022 How Was Your Commute? Thread

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The 2022 How Was Your Commute? Thread

Old 03-30-22, 04:17 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 80 Posts
The really chilly weather is gone and so with the temp at 25 f degrees and no wind chill I was able to ride today. I like that the light is starting to come up just as I arrive at work. Not to much longer and I will be riding in daylight.
Old 03-31-22, 04:11 AM
essiemyra

Well it is my Friday and so for the last work day of the week I was able to ride, with the temp 15 degrees warmer than yesterday at 40 today. It was a pleasant commute. Lucky me!
Old 04-05-22, 04:17 AM
essiemyra

It was a very pleasant yet uneventful commute this morning. The temp was 39 f with dark skies but light coming up at about 6 am. Soon I will be riding in daylight in the am.
Old 04-05-22, 07:11 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 111 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1392:

Another windy day. I think we've had one day with the wind below 20 mph in the last three weeks. This morning after I woke and laid in bed I could hear the wind howling. Knowing it was going to be a headwind, I sat there dreading the commute.

Temp wasn't too bad at 44°F. Wind was a constant 25 mph with gusts much higher. Knowing I would be fighting it for eight miles I thought it might be a little chilly so I dressed for about 20°F. Turns out I was a bit warm. The wind was out of the south which is less bitter than when it's out of the north. By halfway to the office I had sweat rolling down my glasses. Oops.

It rained during the night, but stopped right before I left the house. I took the hybrid bike with fenders due to the wet roads. Twenty minutes later the pavement was completely dry due to the wind. It's supposed to start raining again this afternoon so I should have a wet ride home. The wind is also supposed to shift which means I'll have a crosswind instead of a tail wind.

Last edited by Tundra_Man; 04-05-22 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-06-22, 07:20 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1393:

Woke up to hear the wind howling again this morning. Today it's blowing from the northwest, which was the same direction I was traveling to the client's office. The good news is the wind is not expected to change directions today, so I should get a push home. I'd rather fight it in the morning and get the assist later when I'm tired.

Temp was 35°F. The wind speed was a steady 30 mph with gusts much higher. Given it was 9 degrees cooler than yesterday, and that the wind was out of the north I opted again to dress for the low 20s. Unlike yesterday, it was the proper choice. North winds are noticeably colder than south winds.

The big surprise was the rain. It was raining when I went to bed, and when I got up it was still raining. This wasn't in the forecast, but I'm not going to complain one bit because we desperately need the moisture. I had serviced my road bike chain last night and packed my backpack. With the rain I opted to take the hybrid with fenders. This morning I was too lazy to move everything into my panniers so I just wore my backpack even though my hybrid bike has a rack.

The rain wasn't heavy, just a steady drizzle. Interestingly enough, the wind was blowing hard enough to dry it off of my clothes as fast as it was falling, so when I got to the office I was wetter from sweat than I was from rain.
Old 04-07-22, 04:19 AM
essiemyra

Second day of commuting this week as I had heard it was supposed to rain yesterday but that turned out to be false. So I made plans to take my grandson birthday shopping for his younger sister. Anyway it was a very pleasant commute in this morning with the temp at 39 f degrees and cloudy skies. I think next week might be the week I can use my summer ride route to work. I think it will just almost be light enough.
Old 04-08-22, 01:28 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Two laps again this week.

Got one really nice orange yesterday. Remarkable because it's very late. Last week there was a pretty good wind storm that knocked down most of the remainder. I never pick up more than four at a time and so most of them wound up rotting.

My no-change season is coming to a close. Starting to feel like I could be wearing shorts in the morning and definitely would rather be in the afternoon.

Tundra_Man have you considered a land sailing yacht?
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 04-08-22 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-12-22, 11:10 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 448 Posts
Commute in Brooklyn this morning:
https://fb.watch/clr10JlxLm/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61082792

Last edited by cat0020; 04-12-22 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-12-22, 06:26 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 448 Posts
Just few blocks from my work, thankfully, I got to work before the carnage:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/multip...-train-station
Old 04-13-22, 04:33 AM
essiemyra

A very pleasant yet uneventful commute this morning. It was full on light before I arrived at work. The temp was 44f degrees when I left the house with no wind.
Old 04-13-22, 07:36 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1398:

The wind still continues to howl. The forecast I saw this morning said "unrelenting winds into the foreseeable future." I believe I've counted two days in the last month where the winds were less than 20 mph. Yuck.

Yesterday we had various severe storms throughout the day, complete with lightning and hail. Thankfully none of them managed to happen while I was riding. When I left the house in the morning one had just finished up. Another came through while I was waiting in line to vote, but had passed by the time I left the polling place. Another happened while I was at our office, but cleared up in time for me to ride across town to the client. Some more sprinkles happened during the afternoon, but my ride home was dry. A few minutes after I got home the skies unleashed again. I should have bought a lottery ticket.

Temp was 27°F this morning. I had to ride straight into the 30 mph wind to get to the client's office. Gave me quite the ice cream headache. Winds aren't projected to shift and the temps are suppose to top out near 40°F so I should have a pretty easy ride home.
Old 04-13-22, 09:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
I needed to run to the office to check on a few things before I retreated to "maximum telework," so I rode early to beat the storms.

I don't know why, but I get tickled when I see something like "Humidity: Non-condensing" in a specification. Broken clouds, partly clear, nothing on the weather radar for 75 miles. What's that hitting my face and arms? Must have been "Condensing humidity."

The ride in was a fight against headwinds. I got lucky, the winds picked up before I left for home, so I got (wait for it!) a tailwind! Jiggered my route a little to catch as many long, straight stretches as I could to enjoy it.
Old 04-14-22, 07:37 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1399:

Kept waking up during the night due to the howling wind. At one point I got up and investigated because I thought there was a truck idling outside. Nope. Wind.

Woke up to this:

I originally was going to ride all the way to our company office this morning, and then later in the morning ride to the client location. I'm not ashamed to say I wimped out and rode directly to the client location, which was only half the distance. There wasn't anything specific I absolutely needed to be physically present at our office for anyway, so it wasn't a problem.

Unfortunately the ride from my house to the client was straight into the wind. It took me about 35 minutes on my road bike to go the 4.25 miles. Having commuted in South Dakota for many, many years, I've ridden in more windy days than I can count. Today was probably a top 5. At one point a gust pretty much stopped my bike dead in its tracks. I've had that happen on my slow winter bikes before, but I can't ever remember it happening on my road bike.

Temp was 25°F. With that wind I dressed for single digits and was still cold.
Old 04-14-22, 08:33 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
With us now firmly into Spring I've retired my boat anchor of a commuter bike with full fenders and stuck Zefal Swan/Croozer Road Fenders on my 2012 CAADX. They were nice and cheap and are easily demountable. I've done well dodging the rain over the last two weeks and the one ride where it was actually raining when I left home they did a good job albeit over my very short commute of just 3-miles each way.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/zefal-swanc...sku=5360345580
Old 04-16-22, 10:25 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

This should be peak season for bike commuting but for a variety of reasons it's not coming together for me. Kiddo is in a new program MWF and he's doing great but delivering him limits opportunity to TTh and I don't get all of those. I'm getting in some neighborhood rides with my kids and about one couple-hour ride per weekend.
Old 04-18-22, 04:26 AM
essiemyra

This morning's commute was chilly with the temp at 33 f degrees when I left the house. It was light outside but the full moon could still be seen. It was a pleasant ride in this morning.
Old 04-18-22, 12:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Got a lap in. Forgot light gloves and helmet, rode anyhow, survived
Old 04-19-22, 03:21 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Chilly this morning, in the upper 30s, but up to upper 50s this afternoon with only a light wind. And after four days of overcast, the sun made an appearance -- yay! This isn't the midwest in winter, we're not supposed to have overcast and howling winds for weeks on end.
Old 04-20-22, 04:14 AM
essiemyra

This morning's commute was pleasant and I had a deer cross the street in front of me but not close enough to scare either of us. The temp was warmer this morning at 39 degrees and almost a half moon. I started my summer ride route this morning.
Old 04-20-22, 01:34 PM
Rothaí

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z4

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Lovely rides all week.....especially cycling home (after nightshift). This was Wednesday morning around 6:15am in the Phoenix Park, Dublin.​​​​​​​
Old 04-20-22, 01:53 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
It's only Wednesday but my working week is over as I'm back on my contracted three-day week (31.5 hours). Lovely Spring weather and I took my CAADX for a spin around a 'common land' field next to my workplace but it needs lower tyre pressures really.
Old 04-25-22, 04:23 AM
essiemyra

Not my most favorite day today. I went with a light glove as the temp was 42 degrees and, my fingers were so cold. I guess that was a bad choice on my part. Other than that the commute was good.
Old 04-25-22, 07:55 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1406:

Temp this morning was 31°F, which was warmer than the morning temps we had last week so hopefully spring is finally starting to arrive. A little bit of snow fell overnight, just enough to put a dusting on things but not enough to really change the commute. I took the road bike despite the dusting of snow.

High today is supposed to be in the mid-40s. Headwind this morning was in the low 20mph range, which wasn't fun but at least it was a reprieve of the 70mph winds we had over the weekend. Wind here in South Dakota is pretty typical, but I can't remember a year where we've had such a long stretch of high winds. I'm not exaggerating when I say in the last six weeks we've had three days with wind speeds below 20 mph. It's really starting to mentally wear on people, not just the cyclists. A friend of mine lost her shed over the weekend when it finally couldn't take the constant wind pressure any longer. Another friend of mine lost her gazebo yesterday. I've lost a bunch of tree limbs, my bat house and some shingles.

I got out of my routine this morning, which turned out to be a mistake. When I got up I noticed my phone was running low on charge. I plugged it in and set it on the kitchen counter, which I never do in the morning. Usually as soon as my pants are on it goes right in my pocket. Then I went about my routine as usual.

When I arrived at the client I reached for my phone and remembered that it is still sitting at home on the kitchen counter. Rats. They recently implemented two-factor authorization for everything, and it authenticates to my phone. I asked if they had a "plan B" for when someone leaves their phone at home and was told "not yet."

So I was down in the parking garage loading up my bike for a return trip home just to retrieve my phone when one of the network guys came running after me. They figured out how to get around the two-factor on my account for the day, so I didn't have to make an extra trip unless I just couldn't live without my phone. I wasn't going to mind heading back home with the wind pushing me, but coming back and fighting the wind a 2nd time wasn't appealing. I thanked him for catching me before I took off and decided I could last a day without a phone.

Also forgot to pack my belt. That wasn't due to me getting out of my routine, that was just me being a doofus.
Old 04-26-22, 04:50 AM
essiemyra

A very pleasant commute this morning with the temp at 48 degrees and cloudy skies. I wore warm winter mittens today after yesterday's freezing fingers. I had to take the mittens off as my hands got to warm. Go figure!

There was also two turkeys in the middle of the road who did not get mad when I went around them. Yay!
Old 04-27-22, 01:51 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I haven't been able to commute much lately due to family schedule. Wife and the two 5yos are visiting her parents this week and I thought that would free me up, if not for a commute then just for a ride. Today I geared up to take a bike ride around 7:10 but thought my 7yo might get up and worried for him being alone. In the end I stayed and waited... and then dragged him out of bed at 8:30

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.