Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

LBS --- Accept Checks?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

LBS --- Accept Checks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-22, 03:57 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
They really were inconvenient as hell. The biggest problems were trying to find someone who'd make change for them and if they accidentally got wet, they were instantly voided. If you spilled something on your wallet for example, you were SOL. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen one since the early 1980s.
I carried traveler's checks when my wife, kids and I did year of world traveling in 1998/99. I seem to recall, we did use some of them, but it was credit cards and atms 99% of the time. I think we took traveler's checks just because we hadn't done any international travel since the 80s and really didn't know what to expect. In the 70 and mostly through the 80s, definitely used traveler's checks all the time when traveling.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-29-22, 06:36 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 122 Posts
My LBS still takes my checks. If I`m getting checked out by one of the younger employees I get some strange looks, but they still accept my check.
'
Old 04-29-22, 07:00 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Cash, checks, credit cards, Paypal, Venmo, Bitcoin.... you people are all behind the times!

The microchip implants that let you pay with your hand - BBC News
Originally Posted by Camilo
That was an option when I got my first Covid shot. Wasn't it for you? It requires a hand held scanner by the clerk. It can be a problem if you're getting a message through the chip when you're trying to make a payment at the same time. A lot of people are saying it will be improved with an update soon.
Hell, I'd take that microchip. I hate carrying a wallet.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-29-22, 08:12 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm able to do most credit card transactions via ApplePay on my watch. So it's sort of a non-implanted chip.

Some merchants *still* don't take contactless payments unfortunately (Home Depot).

Many / most full service restaurants also remain unequipped to handle contactless here in the US.
Old 04-29-22, 08:16 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
I'm able to do most credit card transactions via ApplePay on my watch. So it's sort of a non-implanted chip.

Some merchants *still* don't take contactless payments unfortunately (Home Depot).

Many / most full service restaurants also remain unequipped to handle contactless here in the US.
Yep, I've got Apple Pay on the watch, but find only the occasional retailer that takes it. 'Course, I live in a semi-rural area.
Old 04-29-22, 09:36 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
One of the LBS stores I use charge extra for using a credit card.
Old 04-29-22, 09:45 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Yep, I've got Apple Pay on the watch, but find only the occasional retailer that takes it. 'Course, I live in a semi-rural area.
I split time between a metro suburb and a somewhat rural area. Oddly enough it's seemed that contactless payments were adopted faster in the rural area, perhaps because so many of the places are smaller and not big behemoths. There are some quirks - like the IGA affiliated grocery store doesn't work with mastercard in applepay but works with visa, even though it takes both as chip cards.

I say one thing though - during the height of the pandemic it sure was handy having a liquor store with a drive-thru window that took applepay. Priorities.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 04-29-22, 12:10 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
The downside is that muggers will start cutting off your hand.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-29-22, 12:33 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,534 Times in 7,328 Posts
Originally Posted by roadsnakes
If I`m getting checked out by one of the younger employees I get some strange looks….
Maybe you have spinach stuck to a tooth.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-29-22, 12:42 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Camilo
I carried traveler's checks when my wife, kids and I did year of world traveling in 1998/99. I seem to recall, we did use some of them, but it was credit cards and atms 99% of the time. I think we took traveler's checks just because we hadn't done any international travel since the 80s and really didn't know what to expect. In the 70 and mostly through the 80s, definitely used traveler's checks all the time when traveling.
IKR. I did a 7 week bike tour in Spain in ‘00. Based on my European travel in the 80s I took a lot of money in the form of TCs. Came back with most of it. ATMs were everywhere. Even in tiny hamlets in the south. I went to a bank in Córdoba to cash some TCs. The employee rolled his eyes at me and started rooting through a desk drawer for the paperwork. The cool thing back then was that the exchange rate was better if you used plastic because you got the commercial rate.

When I went to Italy in 2013 I brought only my cards.
Old 04-29-22, 12:49 PM
Bimmer69

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
Just beware of the lbs’s asking for payment in Roubles.
Likes For Bimmer69:
Old 04-29-22, 12:53 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
People still write checks?
Invariably, they are all in line in front of me at the checkout. To conserve ink, they also never put in any of the details beforehand, and they are very careful, slow, and methodical. They dot every T and cross their I's. Then they check it over several times, before they hand over the check, again in slow motion.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-29-22, 12:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
IKR. I did a 7 week bike tour in Spain in ‘00. Based on my European travel in the 80s I took a lot of money in the form of TCs. Came back with most of it. ATMs were everywhere. Even in tiny hamlets in the south. I went to a bank in Córdoba to cash some TCs. The employee rolled his eyes at me and started rooting through a desk drawer for the paperwork. The cool thing back then was that the exchange rate was better if you used plastic because you got the commercial rate.

When I went to Italy in 2013 I brought only my cards.

They still exist. Go figure:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...elers-cheques/
Old 04-29-22, 12:58 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Lambkin55
They told me they do not accept personal checks. They only deal in cash and credit cards.
Personal checks have no guards against fraud, whereas cash is instant and ccards have protections for the merchant. Even if there's a fee for the ccard service, a merchant can easily adjust prices to accommodate. But "shrinkage" due to normal thievery combined with fraud ... harder to stop. And with the way things seem to be going, with "plastic" and online trends, it doesn't surprise me more retailers are opting to keep it simple.

Can't say that I've checked with the couple of local shops, for whether they accept personal checks. I do cash, myself.
Old 04-29-22, 02:06 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Maybe you have spinach stuck to a tooth.

No, they kind a look at it like it`s currency from a strange foreign country, or like I`m trying to pay my bill with Monopoly money.

I kind a know the owner. I`ve been going to the same shop for decades. I usually have say get or call the owner , and he`ll tell you it`s all OK.
'

Here`s another bit of info I`m sure you`ll all get a good laugh over...........

I don`t have a cell phone or credit card!
Old 04-29-22, 02:09 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Long’s Bakery shops - best donuts in the American Heartland - are CASH ONLY!
I drive by there every day. Once stopped to get a dozen for work and forgot they only did cash. Went to a bank machine because those are the best donuts anywhere. Pharoa's donuts in St Louis were pretty amazing too.

I pay the mortgage and utilities by check but thats about it.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 05-02-22, 05:44 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Wow! The real gut punch was that when I got back to the states AmEx wouldn't cash the checks at face value. I either had to take a loss or carry them around until I spent them all. The amount was over $1,000. I was unemployed (voluntarily) at the time so I wasn't really spending money at places that took TCs. My lovcal watering whole certainly didn't. I sucked it up and took the loss.
Old 05-02-22, 05:49 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by JanMM
Long’s Bakery shops - best donuts in the American Heartland - are CASH ONLY!
The local bar in Philly I have been going to for nearly 30 years is still cash only. And it's not uncommon for smaller businesses in town to have a minimum purchase amount for card transactions. Usually ranges between $5 and $10.
Old 05-02-22, 08:14 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I can't remember the last time I wrote a check for anything. Unless it was a gift. (Weddings, graduations)
Old 05-02-22, 09:45 AM
ColoFatherOf3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 8 Posts
I write fewer and fewer checks these days as most of my bills are paid online, or with credit cards when I can get away with it. Realize that it costs the merchant money to accept a credit card.

I just purchased a very expensive bike and I wrote a check for it. Why? Because my LBS gave me a 2% discount to pay in cash instead of via credit card. Rather than bring them thousands of dollars in cash, I was willing to bring them a cashier's check. They said a personal check was OK.

So, I saved $250 by writing my check.
Old 05-02-22, 11:54 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Bimmer69
Just beware of the lbs’s asking for payment in Roubles.
Convert your S&H Green Stamps into Roubles, then pay in Roubles. Gold Bond stamps work also, exchange rate is slightly less. I think we’re at 2 Green Stamps per 7 Roubles.
Old 05-02-22, 12:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
Convert your S&H Green Stamps into Roubles, then pay in Roubles. Gold Bond stamps work also, exchange rate is slightly less. I think we’re at 2 Green Stamps per 7 Roubles.

Confederate dollars are also good.