Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

1st match sprint practice: clipped pedal!

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Old 07-12-21, 06:53 PM
Surfer77

Bikes: Alan Competition, Serotta Club Special, Bottecchia ADR SL, Ciocc San Christobal, Aventon Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts

so i started second, dude in front took sprinter lane, i was dropping down from stayers line to get on his wheel. he was moving really slow and i was paying more attention to his back wheel than my speed. i went down *so fast* i had no idea. i thought i had broken my chain. i wont make this mistake again! and thats not me in the pic, just a random photo from last weekend.
Old 07-13-21, 04:22 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfer77
so i started second, dude in front took sprinter lane, i was dropping down from stayers line to get on his wheel. he was moving really slow and i was paying more attention to his back wheel than my speed. i went down *so fast* i had no idea. i thought i had broken my chain. i wont make this mistake again! and thats not me in the pic, just a random photo from last weekend.
Bummer. That looks like a nice velodrome, though.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 07-13-21, 06:09 AM
Surfer77

Bikes: Alan Competition, Serotta Club Special, Bottecchia ADR SL, Ciocc San Christobal, Aventon Track

Originally Posted by colnago62
Bummer. That looks like a nice velodrome, though.
It def is! Rock Hill, SC, if I did not say so….
Likes For Surfer77:
Old 07-13-21, 07:53 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
2019 about 10 seconds into the start of the scratch race the guy in front of us clipped his pedal and took a few of us out. My shoulder still occasionally comes out of socket... that wasn't a great weekend for a few of us on here as I remember...

Rock hill is steep and if you aren't on short cranks/speedplays, or you're going (relatively) slow and not paying attention/not used to that track, that can definitely happen.

Glad you are (relatively) alright! Now you can really claim that track Blood soaked into the surface!
Likes For Morelock:
Old 07-13-21, 02:02 PM
Surfer77

Hi Morelock,
Strange thing is I went up to the office to say what happened, and as I was returning to the track, the same guy and another crashed at the same spot! What are the chances?!

It was totally my fault, not paying attention to my speed. I have 165s and Looks. Not a fan of Speedplays. Not yet anyway! ; )
Old 07-13-21, 08:30 PM
Clythio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Gloves, full fingers gloves, everytime. And long sleeves, integral or "summer arm warmers".
But with 165 and Look, why did it touch?
Which frame are you using? Real track geometry with high center?
Well, it will heal, anyway.. keep going!
Likes For Clythio:
Old 07-14-21, 05:31 AM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by Clythio
Gloves, full fingers gloves, everytime. And long sleeves, integral or "summer arm warmers".
But with 165 and Look, why did it touch?
Which frame are you using? Real track geometry with high center?
Well, it will heal, anyway.. keep going!
i was just below the stayers line, moving down to get behind my opponent who had the sprinters lane. I was just going too slow.
Yes, Aventon Matero,
But yes, bringing a pair of Mechanix full work gloves if not fully healed. I have not seen any others wearing full gloves, tho. Is this done? ; )
Old 07-14-21, 02:54 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
+1 on full finger gloves.

Baseball gloves are the best bang for your buck here. Form-fitting, great leather, easy to find, inexpensive, lots of colors.
Likes For carleton:
Old 07-14-21, 03:01 PM
carleton
Elitist

i was just below the stayers line, moving down to get behind my opponent who had the sprinters lane. I was just going too slow.
Yes, Aventon Matero,
But yes, bringing a pair of Mechanix full work gloves if not fully healed. I have not seen any others wearing full gloves, tho. Is this done? ; )
Yes, you should be wearing gloves on a cement track (for reasons that should be obvious now). When you fall and slide, it's instincutal to put your hands out to help keep your head from hitting the ground as well as drag them to slow down. Further, after a slide, small cuts on the palm of your hand can be just as debilitating as small cuts on the feet of a runner.

Mechanix gloves will likely be too loosey goosey for sprinting.

Top riders even wear gloves for grip and protection on well-manicured wooden tracks:

Likes For carleton:
Old 07-14-21, 03:20 PM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by carleton
+1 on full finger gloves.

Baseball gloves are the best bang for your buck here. Form-fitting, great leather, easy to find, inexpensive, lots of colors.
Actually, I went down so fast my hand was still gripping my bars when I hit the concrete. That is how my knuckles got ground down!
Yes! I also thought batting gloves might be good.
Then I thought of golf gloves, but it is so weird, they sell golf gloves left or right! Not pairs!
I will check Dicks, the only sporting goods store, or Walmart.
Thanks both of you for the answer.
I did not want to look like a moron! ; )
Old 07-14-21, 04:59 PM
carleton
Elitist

Actually, I went down so fast my hand was still gripping my bars when I hit the concrete. That is how my knuckles got ground down!
Yes! I also thought batting gloves might be good.
Then I thought of golf gloves, but it is so weird, they sell golf gloves left or right! Not pairs!
I will check Dicks, the only sporting goods store, or Walmart.
Thanks both of you for the answer.
I did not want to look like a moron! ; )
*Yeah Baseball Batting Gloves (sorry).

I've used golf gloves, too. The leather is even nicer. But, you have to find a match pair individually. And the leather is thinner and doesn't last as long. I only used them for grip more than protection.
Likes For carleton:
Old 07-19-21, 10:24 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Just picked up some long finger BMX gloves for MTBing, something about the poison ivy currently covering parts of my hands, didn't think they'd be good for track but I'll be bringing them with me now. https://jrbicycles.com/ has a bunch of larger adult sizes on clearance for 10.00 a pop which isn't a bad price.

OP, that looks painful, hope it heals quick.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 07-20-21, 05:18 AM
Pacelineg

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
I was involved in a nasty crash at the velodrome in Montreal (yeah that dates me). No gloves and no hand injury, my right hip took all the impact and damage. I can't image what kind of damage I would have sustained had it been on a concrete track.

Hope you recover quick and are back at it soon.
Likes For Pacelineg:
Old 07-20-21, 09:19 AM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Just picked up some long finger BMX gloves for MTBing, something about the poison ivy currently covering parts of my hands, didn't think they'd be good for track but I'll be bringing them with me now. https://jrbicycles.com/ has a bunch of larger adult sizes on clearance for 10.00 a pop which isn't a bad price.

OP, that looks painful, hope it heals quick.
Thanks! i did find a pair my size for $10.
Thank you, it is more painful than i first thought! its been 10 days and still “oozing” a bit. MD said to keep them uncovered, to allow faster healing. Of course, there is no skin there, so new growth is needed to heal over.
-Robin
Old 07-20-21, 09:22 AM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by Pacelineg
I was involved in a nasty crash at the velodrome in Montreal (yeah that dates me). No gloves and no hand injury, my right hip took all the impact and damage. I can't image what kind of damage I would have sustained had it been on a concrete track.

Hope you recover quick and are back at it soon.
Thank you!
I should be good for another sprint practice at Rock Hill next month. Healing slowly. Sometimes it aches a bit, and the road rash on my elbow is wicked itchy! Drives me crazy getting to sleep!
-Robin
Old 07-20-21, 12:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I ride my fix gear on the road with Giant or Dankine full fingered MTB gloves. (Not for crashes but to protect my fingers from the undersides of the brake levers. Some of the Oregon hills go up lot farther than your banking.) Probably not the protection of a full leather glove but still a lot more than a short fingered glove and they are true cycling gloves. No palm padding,

Drawback for the velodrome - the color scheme works better in a duck blind.

Edit: totally off topic but your pic brings the sadness of Alpenrose's recent closing. 2 miles from here. Watched many races there. Loved to watch them on the steep banking your photo brings to mind. (My racing days stopped many years ago. Besides my mountain goat hooves simple don't work on steep concrete and even if they did, mountain goats are pretty useless in velodromes. I used to ride Skyline Blvd, roll into the grounds on my way home, park my (road) fix gear and watch the evening racing.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 07-20-21 at 12:51 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-20-21, 03:26 PM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I ride my fix gear on the road with Giant or Dankine full fingered MTB gloves. (Not for crashes but to protect my fingers from the undersides of the brake levers. Some of the Oregon hills go up lot farther than your banking.) Probably not the protection of a full leather glove but still a lot more than a short fingered glove and they are true cycling gloves. No palm padding,

Edit: totally off topic but your pic brings the sadness of Alpenrose's recent closing. 2 miles from here. Watched many races there. Loved to watch them on the steep banking your photo brings to mind. (My racing days stopped many years ago. Besides my mountain goat hooves simple don't work on steep concrete and even if they did, mountain goats are pretty useless in velodromes. I used to ride Skyline Blvd, roll into the grounds on my way home, park my (road) fix gear and watch the evening racing.)
Hahah! Im not much of a “fashion plate” at Rock Hill anyway! But I did notice that the Fly Racing ones Russ mentioned are only neoprene, prob not what I want. I will look at baseball batting gloves.

On velodromes, sad to see some closing. I dont know how Rock Hill does it, the facility seems way under utilized. It “only” costs $60 to take the certification class, then one can rent a bike for $5 and it costs $5/day. Maybe its too intimidating to ppl, idk. RH has a USAC sanctioned race once a month. Im not sure how many racers it draws. The city also has a dedicated 1.1 mile crit course and a BMX track! Free to use, just park and ride. I think they have club crits every weekend, and sanctioned races as well. Def a cycling hub, but apartments are weirdly expensive, same as Charleston. Prob bc of its proximity to Charlotte. Not sure what the demographics for RH, but track cycling is relatively inexpensive to get into vs road racing.
-Robin
Old 07-20-21, 03:27 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

..........................Edit: totally off topic but your pic brings the sadness of Alpenrose's recent closing. 2 miles from here. ..................................
Is there any talk or action for a new velodrome on the Portland area?
Old 07-21-21, 02:32 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts

That truly was a sad day when Alpenrose closed for good.