Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Motobecane grand touring in the house.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-21, 07:19 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts

This is around 1980 I think. Was pretty much ready to go with fresh paselas for 75 bucks. I want to to fenders but otherwise keep it stock. I don't usually do drop bars but since the original bar covering is all intact I am gonna try them. A real blast from the past with the straight guage 888 tubing. Might be a nice commuter.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 08-11-21, 07:25 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,781 Posts
Nice color, too!

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 08-11-21, 07:31 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

you might wish to chart out the development

given the chainwheels and gear block would expect there will be some duplications and some uneven steps...

-----
Old 08-11-21, 07:34 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

you might wish to chart out the development

given the chainwheels and gear block would expect there will be some duplications and some uneven steps...

-----
I'm absolutely certain there is duplication but those rings don't grow on trees and I will use it as a fun commuter so I'm not too worried about it.
Old 08-11-21, 07:41 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Love that front fork...
Old 08-11-21, 08:15 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Looks like a nice survivor.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 08-11-21, 08:25 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by zandoval
Love that front fork...
so slender and shiney. It rides pretty good too.
Old 08-11-21, 08:32 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Wow, nice find. I don't blame you for keeping it original. See how you like it with the dropped bars. It has the turkey levers so you can ride from the tops, the curve or on the hoods.

It is in such nice shape. If you ever want to change the handlebars, perhaps get a stem to go along with those new (old) handlebars, so that the whole original handlebars, brake levers, covering and stem assembly can remain intact on a shelf and get reinstalled when that time comes (or you just want to show someone that you have all the original pieces).

The SKS silver fenders would look nice on that bike with the silver accents on the frame. And your technique of painting the inside of the fender with the primary (blue) frame paint color so that it shows through to the outside of the fender would be the "piece de resistance". Yea, here I go planning a bike that I don't own. I am just jealous. You must do your own thing. See where that takes you.

Motobecane made some pretty bikes back then.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 08-11-21, 09:03 PM
saias

Bikes: 1979 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Panasonic DX-6000, 1991 Trek 930

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
I have SKS on my Grand Touring in the same color scheme. They do look great. Mine is setup with porteur bars. It makes a great commuter. I will have to post some pictures to my gallery.
Likes For saias:
Old 08-12-21, 01:23 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by saias
I have SKS on my Grand Touring in the same color scheme. They do look great. Mine is setup with porteur bars. It makes a great commuter. I will have to post some pictures to my gallery.
I have porteur bars on almost everything else and they are great. Nice choice!
Old 08-12-21, 01:26 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Wow, nice find. I don't blame you for keeping it original. See how you like it with the dropped bars. It has the turkey levers so you can ride from the tops, the curve or on the hoods.

It is in such nice shape. If you ever want to change the handlebars, perhaps get a stem to go along with those new (old) handlebars, so that the whole original handlebars, brake levers, covering and stem assembly can remain intact on a shelf and get reinstalled when that time comes (or you just want to show someone that you have all the original pieces).

The SKS silver fenders would look nice on that bike with the silver accents on the frame. And your technique of painting the inside of the fender with the primary (blue) frame paint color so that it shows through to the outside of the fender would be the "piece de resistance". Yea, here I go planning a bike that I don't own. I am just jealous. You must do your own thing. See where that takes you.

Motobecane made some pretty bikes back then.
was mulling over fender choices and I have stuff in the house I could probably use but ur ideas are excellent. So fun looking sharp when u go to the grocery. Also, if I remove the bars is will be exactly as u said.
Old 08-12-21, 06:08 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

This morning I found an Sr crank in the basement that had come off another moto. I was able to put friendly gears on it for the valley to bluff commutes I do. I also had an old flyer going unused. This thing is pretty fun right now!

Sr apex with 28 and 42

Brooks flyer and minnehaha bag my sister gave me.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 08-12-21, 08:05 AM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Is that a triple you put on there or a double? I can't quite make it out. If it's a triple did you need to replace the spindle?
Likes For rgvg:
Old 08-12-21, 09:16 AM
wintermute

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB, 2006 Bianchi Volpe, 2016 Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Wow! That looks like it's in great condition! Like you said, should be an awesome commuter. If you do decide to change out the bars (and stem), you may need to sand 0.2mm off the diameter of the stem, if the bike's headset is French, but this is easy.
Likes For wintermute:
Old 08-12-21, 09:32 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by rgvg
Is that a triple you put on there or a double? I can't quite make it out. If it's a triple did you need to replace the spindle?
It's a double and it's a hair farther out. Minor derailleur adjustment.
Old 08-12-21, 09:33 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by wintermute
Wow! That looks like it's in great condition! Like you said, should be an awesome commuter. If you do decide to change out the bars (and stem), you may need to sand 0.2mm off the diameter of the stem, if the bike's headset is French, but this is easy.
Ive done that before. I'm practice it's usually very little.
Old 08-12-21, 09:44 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Before sanding any stem down to fit a French bike, consider (a) using a Nitto, as they'll usually fit just fine; (b) pulling the top locknut off the headset to see if the stem fits into the steerer tube and if you need to dremel out any internal overhang on the locknut that blocks a Nitto stem; (c) run a brake cylinder hone down the inside of the steerer to knock off any corrosion and smooth it up. All of the above work beautifully.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 08-12-21, 10:50 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Before sanding any stem down to fit a French bike, consider (a) using a Nitto, as they'll usually fit just fine; (b) pulling the top locknut off the headset to see if the stem fits into the steerer tube and if you need to dremel out any internal overhang on the locknut that blocks a Nitto stem; (c) run a brake cylinder hone down the inside of the steerer to knock off any corrosion and smooth it up. All of the above work beautifully.
great advice. Probably won't get to that too early but I did find a set of well used fenders in my basement and took a climb up my favorite hill. Gearing in low 28-32 is plenty fine and I really want porteur bars after one decent ride. The bike is lovely tho and I think the paselas are a big part of it.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 08-13-21, 01:51 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Done for now. I have all this junk on hand and it does make a nice city bike. Even put an old subitez sp? BB dynamo for lights after dark and it doesn't pull much off my massive 12 mph average. Going to ride to the museum downtown tonight and watch rear window with my sister on the gargantuan screen. The ride home will be lit by the generator.

Survived a ride to my buddy's house.

Last edited by 52telecaster; 08-13-21 at 01:54 PM.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 08-14-21, 11:10 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
My daughter has one about 2 years newer I think, but the same bike. She used it when she lived in Providence R.I. for getting to work and back . She sent a video of riding in the snow with it. I told her to take the bus!! I think she paid about $200 for it and hers came with Suntour bar end shifters and randoneur handle bars. Motobecanes are well built bikes and you certainly scored at that price. I love what you've done with it! Ride On.....
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 08-14-21, 12:54 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
My daughter has one about 2 years newer I think, but the same bike. She used it when she lived in Providence R.I. for getting to work and back . She sent a video of riding in the snow with it. I told her to take the bus!! I think she paid about $200 for it and hers came with Suntour bar end shifters and randoneur handle bars. Motobecanes are well built bikes and you certainly scored at that price. I love what you've done with it! Ride On.....
being old and with an arthritic neck, upright is really my only realistic choice but these motos do it really well. I used to commute in the snow with snow studs so I get your daughter. I also get your concern!

dynamo

Last edited by 52telecaster; 08-14-21 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-14-21, 03:28 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Misspelled "hizzouse." Would also accept "hizzy."
Likes For SurferRosa: