Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Drafting etiquette

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Drafting etiquette

Old 09-15-21, 08:48 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I wasn't implying it's done on purpose.

I see people, some with headphones on, that don't hold a line and weave. So passing them is a matter of timing and I try to do it safely. But if they weave into me as i pass i'll make sure they don't collide with me.

The problem with headphones is not have to loud to the point they are not aware of their surroundings and don't hear others calling out as they get ready to pass.

I've seen cyclists weave into a passing car and bounce off.
why are you talking about headphones? I use a speaker so I can be aware of my surroundings still.
Old 09-15-21, 08:48 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Don't draft this guy.
Old 09-16-21, 12:02 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,568 Posts
I always ask: "mind if I catch a lift?". almost nobody does that to me though. I still usually don't mind.
Old 09-16-21, 12:18 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
How many planes did he launch from treadmills?
Neither treadmills, nor planes, existed when Bernoulli made public his ideas on fluid mechanics.
Old 09-16-21, 06:21 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
You should hear what I think of people who wear headphones when riding.......
Originally Posted by GlennR
I don't acknowledge them. I figure the headphone are their way of saying is "leave me alone"
I think this is a generalization because most headphoners are unexperienced cyclists and/or jerks. I ride with headphones 99% of the time because it helps me stay focused. Volume is always low and I can hear all noise coming from behind. Never did I even get close to having an accident with a car, cyclist or pedestrian.

Go ahead, tell me I'm a &$%*/$*%!"

On a more topic related question, I don't draft people I don't know, and especially not without their consent. I think it's rude.

Last edited by eduskator; 09-16-21 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-16-21, 08:35 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
Neither treadmills, nor planes, existed when Bernoulli made public his ideas on fluid mechanics.
I guess your sarcasm detector isn't working, either?
Old 09-16-21, 11:30 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
No, and don't ask me, just stay off my ******g wheel. It's rude, and dangerous.

If I'm out riding by myself, it's because I want to ride by myself. You want to ride in a group, go find a group. You shouldn't ask, and I shouldn't have to be bothered to answer.

Altho, having had it happen on occasion (without asking or acknowledging), I just ride them off my wheel, never see them again after that. It's funny, the people who would be able to hang, aren't the kind who would hop on a stranger's wheel in the first place.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 09-16-21, 11:39 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer

If I'm out riding by myself, it's because I want to ride by myself. You want to ride in a group, go find a group. You shouldn't ask, and I shouldn't have to be bothered to answer.

Altho, having had it happen on occasion (without asking or acknowledging), I just ride them off my wheel, never see them again after that. It's funny, the people who would be able to hang, aren't the kind who would hop on a stranger's wheel in the first place.
+1 on that. Hitchhikers who wants to improve their Strava PRs the easy way. ''Thanks for the lift!''
Likes For eduskator:
Old 09-16-21, 11:40 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I try to politely announce my presence if I am within a bike length behind someone else, not because I want to draft, especially not during the current pandemic, but because I am waiting for a safe opening to pass. But it feels presumptuous to tell someone else that I am planning to pass them.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 09-16-21, 11:48 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I try to politely announce my presence if I am within a bike length behind someone else, not because I want to draft, especially not during the current pandemic, but because I am waiting for a safe opening to pass. But it feels presumptuous to tell someone else that I am planning to pass them.
That's what loud freehubs are for.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-16-21, 12:06 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

That's what loud freehubs are for.
I don't want a freehub that sounds like a miniature minigun whenever I take a break from pedaling, which is fairly often.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 09-16-21, 12:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I don't want a freehub that sounds like a miniature minigun whenever I take a break from pedaling, which is fairly often.
I've got everything from 'Swarm of Murder Hornets' to damn near silent. These days I figure the *gleep!* sound from my Garmin Varia announces my presence most places.

Old 09-16-21, 01:53 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
I think this is a generalization because most headphoners are unexperienced cyclists and/or jerks. I ride with headphones 99% of the time because it helps me stay focused. Volume is always low and I can hear all noise coming from behind. Never did I even get close to having an accident with a car, cyclist or pedestrian.

Go ahead, tell me I'm a &$%*/$*%!"

On a more topic related question, I don't draft people I don't know, and especially not without their consent. I think it's rude.
It would be awesome if we can turn this played out thread to a headphone yes or no thread. Things would liven up quickly. For the record I am headphone yes. AirPod Pro’s combined with Varia Radar, the only way to ride! Give me a multi day long distance solo ride combined with a Spotify Premium account, nothing could be better.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 09-16-21, 02:12 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
AirPod Pro’s combined with Varia Radar, the only way to ride!
Do you get Varia beeps though your earphones? I get TBT instructions through my earphones, but not Varia warnings.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-16-21, 02:15 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Do you get Varia beeps though your earphones? I get TBT instructions through my earphones, but not Varia warnings.
No such luck yet. Been using the Varia since they first were announced and have developed a habit of always checking whenever changing my line also when I do hear the car approaching checking if it is more than one and the speed.
Old 09-16-21, 02:20 PM
WhyFi

No such luck yet. Been using the Varia since they first were announced and have developed a habit of always checking whenever changing my line also when I do hear the car approaching checking if it is more than one and the speed.
Bummer. Garmin needs to get on it to pipe those through.
Old 09-16-21, 02:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

It would be awesome if we can turn this played out thread to a headphone yes or no thread. Things would liven up quickly. For the record I am headphone yes. AirPod Pro’s combined with Varia Radar, the only way to ride! Give me a multi day long distance solo ride combined with a Spotify Premium account, nothing could be better.
No on headphones, and you should all get off my damn lawn!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-16-21, 02:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I'm loving my Varia. It's the one thing that's gotten me to put my head unit on the bars of my C&V rides, which I kinda enjoy running with nekkid bars. I'm still a data junkie, though, so if I do that I stuff the head unit in a pocket.

Old 09-16-21, 05:20 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I've got everything from 'Swarm of Murder Hornets' to damn near silent. These days I figure the *gleep!* sound from my Garmin Varia announces my presence most places.
My environment makes it pointless to use a Varia because it would "gleep" at least once every 10 seconds; maybe I should just say "meep meep" like a road runner.

You earbud guys must have pretty sharp hearing; I can barely hear the ubiquitous Tesla on its stock low rolling resistance tires approaching at 50 mph (i.e., local speed limit) above the ambient noise with nothing (except a tiny amount of ear wax) in my ears. So no earbuds for me.
Old 09-16-21, 05:45 PM
WhyFi

My environment makes it pointless to use a Varia because it would "gleep" at least once every 10 seconds;
Nope - it's not pointless, even in heavy traffic.
Old 09-16-21, 06:35 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Nope - it's not pointless, even in heavy traffic.
Perhaps "pointless" is too strongly worded; I meant (as I have mentioned before in other threads) that I would likely tune out the Varia.

1. Does the Varia have a separate alert for even faster or erratic driving?

2. Does the Varia warn about an extra slow driver that has obviously left a giant gap to the next car ahead? That is the tell take of a texting driver in this neighborhood.
Old 09-16-21, 06:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Perhaps "pointless" is too strongly worded; I meant (as I have mentioned before in other threads) that I would likely tune out the Varia.

1. Does the Varia have a separate alert for even faster or erratic driving?

2. Does the Varia warn about an extra slow driver that has obviously left a giant gap to the next car ahead? That is the tell take of a texting driver in this neighborhood.
It not only *gleeps* when faster moving traffic is <150 yards behind, but also a graphic appears on the right hand side of your head unit, showing how far behind it is and how fast it's approaching. Multiple vehicles give multiple dots, each with its own approach speed. The sides of the head unit light up orange, or if the closing speed is really fast, red. Once past, those change to green, and then go away if it's clear.

It doesn't replace looking over your shoulder, but it does make it more just a confirmation - a glance tells you if you're clear vs. the longer look necessary without it.

EDIT: Where it comes in handiest are times like when you're having to change lanes to make a left, or if you roll up on a slower rider and want to pass. Then you can have a look at the graphic and see if you're clear, look over your shoulder to confirm, then go.

Last edited by genejockey; 09-16-21 at 06:59 PM.
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-16-21, 07:02 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

It not only *gleeps* when faster moving traffic is <150 yards behind, but also a graphic appears on the right hand side of your head unit, showing how far behind it is and how fast it's approaching. Multiple vehicles give multiple dots, each with its own approach speed. The sides of the head unit light up orange, or if the closing speed is really fast, red. Once past, those change to green, and then go away if it's clear.

It doesn't replace looking over your shoulder, but it does make it more just a confirmation - a glance tells you if you're clear vs. the longer look necessary without it.
This definitely sounds (1) extremely useful for the once per ride event of cutting across a wide, 3 vehicular traffic lane major thoroughfare from the bike lane to left turn lane, but (2) much less useful during the rest of my ride when I am humming along in the high teens while traffic in constantly passing me at or slightly above the speed limit of 50 mph.
Old 09-16-21, 07:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

This definitely sounds (1) extremely useful for the once per ride event of cutting across a wide, 3 vehicular traffic lane major thoroughfare from the bike lane to left turn lane, but (2) much less useful during the rest of my ride when I am humming along in the high teens while traffic in constantly passing me at or slightly above the speed limit of 50 mph.
Ever pass other riders and have to go out into the traffic lanes to do it?

Old 09-16-21, 07:08 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Ever pass other riders and have to go out into the traffic lanes to do it?
Good point. But rarely; out on the streets, my speed is in the bottom 20 percentile. For doing that I definitely would turn and take a good, long look.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.