Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

FlightDeck Shimano 105 cap replacement

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-21, 06:32 AM
Rob123

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Giant, and many in bits

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I recently bought a road bike that has turned into a bit of a hobby/project now in refurbing and servicing and all that.

One thing the bike came with, or without, in this case, was a missing cap on the brake/gear shift lever. The one that was on the bike ain't looking too pretty either, so I am looking to replace these ideally for new. Can anybody tell me where I can get parts like this? UK based preferably. This is a FlightDeck Shimano 105 cap. Hopefully my description makes sense as I can't post a photo as a newbie member.
Old 10-07-21, 07:38 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Pic Assist

Old 10-07-21, 08:04 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Pull the hood up on one of the shifters. There will be a part number embossed in the body under the hood. Then try googling on that part number and the words "name plate"

If those are from the 5600 series of Shimano 105, then your search should be something like this.... st-5600 name plate

Then see if you can find some vendors offering it. But if you rather just put a piece of bubble gum or something on it, I'm okay with that. It won't affect how I ride one bit.
Old 10-07-21, 08:05 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
These caps are well known of being easy to break off the lever. Shimano has a number of slightly different versions specific to a model or year. Shimano does provide good parts listings in their docs pages, I don't have that link at my finger tips but would start a search at the consumer web site. I strongly suggest finding the part number before buying anything as the 105 level likely has 4 or 5 versions over the years. The lever has it's model number on the plastic body under the hood next to the handlebar. Roll the hood up and look for the imprint. Andy
Old 10-07-21, 08:32 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
Those are out of production and near impossible to find unless you want to get an overpriced, 3D printed, not-quite-the-same-color-painted version on Ebay. *New* Shimano ST-5600 Name Plate Cover STI 105 ST-5600/5601 BLACK (pair) 689228204881 | eBay And for the damaged piece you could just add some plastic repair (if needed), smooth it out and paint it yourself. I've never tried this myself but there are "headlight tint" rattle can paints available at auto parts stores that give what looks like a similar color to what Shimano uses but I can't guarantee it's a match if that's important to you. One example here. VHT SP999 VHT Nite Shades Coating | Summit Racing Personally I'd just make it flat or satin black or silver and be done with it. You could also do a search using Shimano's part number found here. Manuals & Technical Documents (shimano.com) Pages 2 & 3. You're looking for the "ST-5600, 5601" etc. using the orange EV link.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 10-07-21 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-07-21, 09:12 AM
Rob123

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Giant, and many in bits

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, guys - You all operate a lot quicker than me.

I was just searching for the ST-5600 part and found a few on Ebay at extortionate prices. One (and only one) available in Italy that with postage would have been cheaper to get an EasyJet flight out there and pick it up. It is real shame, these are not easily available would be nice but the I think the cost prohibits. Bubble gum, what a thought, but I think I will leave that stuck to my bedpost overnight.
Likes For Rob123:
Old 10-07-21, 10:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Yeah, I sort of thought that they'd cost more than they are worth. All they do is advertise for the maker. So anything you care to do to just make them more cosmetically pleasing to you is okay. And I wouldn't think anything bad of you if you did nothing.

It's more about whether you can beat me to the top of the hill or not. Not whether your bike looks immaculate.
Old 10-08-21, 03:26 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
I also need two for my Ultegra shifters. Not wanting to be extorted, I just put a piece of tape over each lever. Why pay so much for something that will probably break soon after installing.