Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

DIY hobbist: HG41 to replace or not?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-20-21, 04:48 AM
rednose

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hello fellow riders/mechanics :-)

I'm not sure if I need to buy new parts or not, I need advise/help. I noticed that my bike pedaling was a bit "rough"/vibration/not-well-tuned when turning pedals in reverse. Major suspect by now is my cassette HG41-7.

Last year I changed the full wheel (wheel, hub, cassette) and I had to use a dedicated spacer. (wheel bought on internet for a 8 gears cassette, 7 gears supported using a dedicate spacer)

Yesterday I unmounted the wheel and I noticed that:

1) the HG41 has a bit of play along the wheel axis while still mounted on the hub, like if an additional spacer of about 1/2mm may be needed

2) I unmounted the cassette from the hub. If I keep it in one hand and with other hand I try to "turn" clockwise or counterclockwise any of the gear there is a bit of play. About 1/2 mm. For example if I keep the 2nd gear still and if I move clockwise the 1st or the 3rd gear they move a bit. I believed the cassette gears are mounted "solid" e.g. they can't have not even the smallest play relative to each other ...

In short: are 1) and 2) above normal or should I buy a new HG41 + spacer to remove all the plays? But it sounds strange to me, part is not so old ...

Thanks for sharing ideas!

Ciao

r
Old 09-20-21, 10:13 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Needing a new spacer and needing a new cassette are not necessarily the same thing. You may just need a spacer.
Also make sure the smallest cassette sprocket is correctly oriented and the lock ring is secure. Finally, confirm it is the cassette and not the freehub body.
Old 09-20-21, 10:22 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
It sounds like you've identified that the play is in the cassette, not the nub. That's great - a lot cheaper and easier to fix. Just buy a new cassette.
Old 09-20-21, 05:07 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
When you install the cassette, with the spacer the 1st position cog should extend slightly beyond the freehub body so the lockring doesn’t bottom out before securing the cassette. If it doesn’t, you’ll need to add an additional, or wider spacer.

If it does extend past, make sure you torque the lockring and not just tighten it. If it is only snug, there can be play.

The clockwise/counter-clockwise movement of a pinned cassette when it is not installed is of no concern.

John
Old 10-20-21, 09:29 AM
rednose

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Dear All,
reporting on "how did it ended up"? :-) Well I added a spacer. So the play is not there any more. But what I feel pedaling is still rough/not tuned. Hard to describe in words.
I'll have to keep investigating I guess or bring the bike to a professional mechanic :-o
Thanks all for the help!
r