Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How do you approach your pipeline?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-22-21, 09:04 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 2,300 Times in 1,111 Posts

In my other hobby, home brewing, we would refer to the beers we have in various stages of fermenting, carbonating, serving, etc. as the pipeline. For bikes, I suppose upcoming projects are a similar thing. I like bike boom bikes that are in survivor condition. Right now I have four bikes in that pipeline. The first is a Bridgestone mixte for my wife that I'm going to prioritize so she can start riding with me to brunch or coffee. The next is a Takara that really doesn't need much more than tires and some missing reflectors and an original Takahashi seat. The third is a '73 Schwinn Suburban step through that I had to buy along with the Bridgestone but will probably be a pretty easy bike to restore. Lastly is a Gazelle Tour de l'Avenir that is in awful condition and will take more labor and money than it will ever be worth, but I just can't wait to start on it.

Whether you fix up old bikes for giggles, boom bikes, classics or priceless antiques, how do approach your projects? One at a time? A little here and there? Or do you go where you excitement takes you?

Old 02-22-21, 09:15 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Mostly I just stare at them. They stare right back. I know they want to get out of purgatory and hit the road, but I'm still a working stiff and only have so much love to give at any given time.

Raleigh Row

Pick a frame, any frame
Old 02-22-21, 09:17 PM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Mostly I just stare at them. They stare right back. I know they want to get out of purgatory and hit the road, but I'm still a working stiff and only have so much love to give at any given time.

Raleigh Row

Pick a frame, any frame
Oh, thank God I'm not alone.
Likes For philpeugeot:
Old 02-23-21, 02:39 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
I prefer to do one build at a time but rarely do I succeed. As often as not, I have to substitute non-period and/or model correct stuff to get a bike road worthy and safe to ride. Case in point, this late sixties or early seventies Torpado entry level steed...

A friend gave me the bike and, so far, I have about $250.00 CND invested with another fifty dollars, or so, for new 700c x 28 gum wall tires. Though the bike is ready for a final tuning in the stand, then on the road if it is not too cold outside (this is Canada, ya know and just two days ago minus 21 degrees Celsius - yesterday the temperature soared to minus 2)...

Though, to the untrained eye, the bike looks completed, it is not, even though it is road worthy and safe to ride. I had to substitute the original handlebar for an SR set...

The original handlebar was bent and too narrow for my personal fit comfort (I do not trust aluminum that has suffered such trauma - dangerous and handlebar is now in two pieces)...

I had to dump the Valentino pill box front derailleur because it was interfering with fender installation (will finalize the fender line when the 28mm tires arrive).

I had this front Campy stashed for a project, and turns out the Torpado is it...

My poor old arthritic hands could not manage to install the original REG brake cable clips so I used Dura-Ace instead...

But as far as I am concerned, the build is done, until the next proper period and model correct piece comes along...

Though this old Legnano has been sharing road time with me for years, it is still not done. I have a Legnano embossed head set for the bike and wish that I had the extra cash to buy a NOS set of Gaslo Legnano embossed endcaps, like the ones on my yellow Torpado. Who knows, I might even did out the paint brush a slap a coat of shiny on it...
Old 02-23-21, 03:01 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 1,439 Posts
I generally rush every bike into rideable condition and then slowly plan to rebuild it and accumulate parts until I can turn it around completely. So I end up with bikes that have a history like this:

This also inevitably means that I borrow parts from less frequently ridden bikes to finish test rides for the new ones and so at any given time I have one or two partial bikes hanging on the wall.
Old 02-23-21, 04:38 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 2,300 Times in 1,111 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I might even did out the paint brush a slap a coat of shiny on it...
I read through the paint thread on this with a lot of interest. The Gazelle I picked up is going to need paint for sure because it is going to need a torch taken to it to repair at least one seat stay.

Old 02-23-21, 08:47 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'm doing a decades based approach this year. I'll rebuild a bike from the 50s (a 1958 Claud Butler Jubilee), one from the 60s (a 1968 Schwinn Paramount), one from the 70s (I have to choose between a Mercier 300 and a Libertas, both are full Reynolds 531 frames), and one from the 80s (a 1985 Pinarello cross).
Old 02-23-21, 08:59 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
I pick what moves me. I have 4 bikes that need attention, Trek 610 and 760 along with a Pinarello.
My current interest is in the 760. I built it up with Superbe Pro parts to try it out. I need a warm day for a real ride to finalize the next step. If it is good, and it is likely to be so, it will get some attention wrt finish.
The next operational activity will be to sort out the "sand" blasting kit I put together. It didn't work the first time so I need to find out what the issue is. Then there are a bunch of projects to use it on.
Old 02-23-21, 09:10 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I generally rush every bike into rideable condition and then slowly plan to rebuild it and accumulate parts until I can turn it around completely. So I end up with bikes that have a history like this:

This also inevitably means that I borrow parts from less frequently ridden bikes to finish test rides for the new ones and so at any given time I have one or two partial bikes hanging on the wall.
I too tend to rush to make things rideable, and then realize I should really attach it more systematically and thoroughly- which I then do, but it feels like it takes forever.

I also realized recently I even have a habit of not documenting (photos) the original condition of the bike when I get it, and then I regret it later when (in the most extreme cases) a pile of what looks like junk parts has become a legitimate useful once more! Gotta learn to not rush.
Old 02-23-21, 09:15 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
Multiprocess depending on work required and parts available. Priority goes to resources needed for planned outings. More reasons for N+1
Old 02-23-21, 09:23 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
I am not great at multitasking, so it's one at a time. When I finish one it will be a first because it seems like they all are constantly being changed.
Old 02-23-21, 10:00 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
In the last couple of years I've collected a lot of project bikes, and I spend a lot of time researching and scrounging and sourcing parts for future builds that might be keepers. So far I have been able to able to average one "keeper" project built up and back on the road a year. This years bike is slated to be the Trek 400 650b conversion I've been obsessing's over for 4 years. Next in line is a Cannondale T700, and with the way things are going I'm not going to need a touring bike this year. But if by some chance I had the time, I've got 99% of the stuff on hand for that project. Looking further ahead, I have a 24 1/2" Raleigh Competition hanging from the ceiling, that a certain individual with a specific skill set mentioned the possibility of a little horse trading potential.... But that's years away at this point... However a nos Mountech II front derailleur will be arriving this week.... and a free wheel for the Miyata 610 hanging 3 bikes over came yesterday...
I guess it bears mentioning that "The Pipeline" is a entirely my personal projects. Building and maintaining the extended family fleet, is a triage situation that I try and separate my asperations from. Dear father in law informed me that he left the garage kept Schwinn survivor cruiser I built up for him under the beach house....again......
If 2022 is relatively normal, I plan on grinding through the pile a bit and getting as many of the "flippable" bikes out of my attic and my head space as possible.

Last edited by bark_eater; 02-23-21 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-23-21, 10:28 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
As I said, one project at a time. With the Torpado finished, my next project will be a bike that has never blown my kilt up - a Quintanna Roo. I plan to keep this one as original as I can except for paint and art. The paint is shot and the art will need to be replaced. I must admit that this sucker is fast, or would be if it were not for me...

There are three other possible projects.

A dump found Peugeot to be refurbished and offered for local sale in a month or two (cold and snow gotta go first)...

A dump found Bianchi that desperately needs a new rear wheel...

Or a gifted Carlton, Corsair that was rebranded a Raleigh for export to North America. Once again, to be refurbished as a Single Speed and sold locally when warmer weather arrives...

Of course, one never knows what might show up next and next might take spot number one in the project arena.
Old 02-23-21, 09:51 PM
justcynn

Bikes: Lots of Schwinns

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 114 Posts
I am relatively new at this hobby but admittedly have overbought my pipeline, hunting the deals has been a good way to pass pandemic time and as a result, I have overrun my shop/garage with works in process. One could say I am better at buying than selling...

1) Riders - I try to keep my riders ready even if they are getting upgrades, parts swaps, etc. there was one instance I had so many projects working, I didn't have one rider ready. Not good with as many bikes as I am working
2) Flippers - I try to get these turned around relatively quickly, although I am finding the time in replying to every question on Marketplace/Ebay is taking any joy out of it. Still hard for me not to buy that $40 hidden gem though...i tried stripping lower end components with good frames and selling the frames on Ebay cause they were easier to ship - but all I get is questions on those...
3) Strippers - as my knowledge has gained, I know what to look for in terms of bikes that don't appeal to me, too small, etc but have good parts. I like to take 90's Aluminum , strip the groups and repurpose them on nice steel frames or even newer groups on old steel frames.
4) Keepers/Dream Builds - these don't get worked on as often. one reason is I have to learn all the skills as I go, installing brifters for example, new to me and also just collecting the parts.. Right now I have a handful of Dream Builds in various stages of the pipeline.

I also keep an Excel Spreadsheet of my current builds, planned builds, "good" parts, frames, costs per part/per build,, etc. I like to configure the builds in advance, make sure I have the parts needed, put in the Ebay/Amazon orders, etc for what i need in advance. I also use the spreadsheet to try to avoid putting $400 worth of parts in a $100 Frame and sell for $300. For this means, new parts need to be saved for keepers.

The downside is I have a record of all the money I have spent...
Likes For justcynn:
Old 02-23-21, 10:35 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by philpeugeot
Oh, thank God I'm not alone.
I do believe there is a chance of a meet and greet this summer, if things behave...
Old 02-23-21, 11:05 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
I am easily distracted from projects. I am guilty of posting new finds on here, collecting all the parts needed and then they sit. Despite that, I have done very well over the last 12 months, completing several projects. I have a full time job and have been working through the current times, so that does limit the time spent on bikes. The pipeline is still full though.........a 1960 Atala, a 1970 Zeus, a mid 70s British Eagle and a few others that are finished but I still want to make a few changes. So far in 2021 I have completed a Puch A-D Olympian that sat for a couple of years and a Raleigh Super Course that I bought as a frameset. Currently working on a 93 GT Mach One that was found out with the morning trash. It has some issues that may cause it to become a part out.

Old 02-24-21, 12:37 AM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 321 Posts
I have too many projects going on in my shop and fear losing parts if I have more than one bike going at any time. I have parts from various cars and home projects taking up some of my shop, as well as being poorly organized, I know my limits. Though I'm not a neat freak, I am a bit of a perfectionist, so I take my time and get it right, or as close as I'm able. I'm very patient and don't mind the tedious cleaning of every single nut and bolt. I'm currently working on a bike that I sold and promised to rebuild for the buyer. I'm aching to start my newly acquired Legnano, but I know if I start, it would be hard to get back on the other, so I'm pushing through to the finish.