Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Building my own 2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-21, 01:12 PM
rochesterboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am newbie here as well as to building a bike.

I would like to build a light weight bike for my wife. Towards that, I purchased a 2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0 XS frame from ebay yesterday for $200 bucks.

I would like to build this as a Hybrid/flat bar bike for my wife. Considering that I am new to this, I am looking for help/direction and have a lot of questions.

1. What's the best place to buy in-expensive parts for this build?
2. Where can I get detailed specifications to ensure that I buy correct parts?
3. The specs is for a drop bar bike. What do I need to buy for a flatbar bike?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-21, 02:10 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
How about you provide some info about what parts are on the bike now?
Old 07-05-21, 02:24 PM
rochesterboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
How about you provide some info about what parts are on the bike now?
I bought just the frame yesterday. I need to buy everything else. Thanks.
Old 07-05-21, 02:25 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
How wide a tire can you put on a 2013 Defy frame? You said you wanted a hybrid and to me that implies you'd also want to be putting wide tires on it.

I'm not a fan of flat bars or hybrids, so I'm really not a good person to ask. But the bike might be a little short reach for a flat bar and too low a stack unless you are getting a frame larger than what her size would normally suggest for that type frame.
Old 07-05-21, 02:37 PM
rochesterboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
How wide a tire can you put on a 2013 Defy frame? You said you wanted a hybrid and to me that implies you'd also want to be putting wide tires on it.

I'm not a fan of flat bars or hybrids, so I'm really not a good person to ask. But the bike might be a little short reach for a flat bar and too low a stack unless you are getting a frame larger than what her size would normally suggest for that type frame.
Flatbar is the critical need. Tires can be typical road tire size. I see your point on this frame being too low. She is 5' 2" and prefers lower stack bikes but with up straight ride.

I thought of buying a carbon hybrid for her. Then I came across this deal for a brand new frame for $200 and could not resist. Idea is to build a lightweight endurance bike with flatbar.
Old 07-05-21, 03:04 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by rochesterboy
1. Do you have a local bike co-op? If so, I'd start there - you'll be able to get inexpensive parts, and help from someone knowledgeable. The parts probably won't be light or high end, but you could always upgrade them later if for some reason you found it necessary. If you don't have a co-op, I'd try Craigslist or Ebay, but that requires more understanding of what parts you need. For buying new, there's enough of a shortage of parts these days that you'll probably have to poke around various online shops to see who has the parts you want in stock.
2. Search for the bike's model online and you should come up with reviews that are likely to include detailed specs. Bikepedia often has useful information but not much for your bike. Did the frame include the fork and headset? Do you have the bottom bracket (the bearings for the cranks)? Those are pieces you need to get right; pretty much everything else is either standard, easy to swap, or does not need to match a particular spec. Those (headset and bottom bracket) are also pieces you may not be able to install yourself without buying tools you won't need often. If you don't already have the right tools, take the frame to your local shop, ask for help, and pay them to do the installation even if you buy the parts elsewhere.
3. You need the same parts for a flat bar as for a drop bar, except that you need shifters and brake levers that will attach to a flat bar rather than a drop bar. You need to decide what drivetrain you want to use (how many speeds? What brand and model?) and then buy appropriate or compatible shifters, brakes and derailleurs. You'll probably want a long stem since flat handlebars don't add additional length.
Old 07-05-21, 04:13 PM
rochesterboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ty for a detailed response.

1. Yes I do have a local co-op shop. I have been using FB, flee bay and Craigs.
2. I found a high level specs on Giant but not with size etc., I will try BikePedia.
3. It is equipped to use Di2 components set. With flat bar I am not sure if there is an equivalent electric components set. I need some guidance there.
Old 07-05-21, 04:15 PM
rochesterboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specs

• Frame
    Advanced-Grade Composite
  • Fork
    Advanced-Grade Composite, Full-Composite OverDrive 2 Steerer
  • Shock
    N/A
  • Handlebar
    Giant Contact, 31.8
  • Stem
    Giant Contact w/ Titanium hardware, OverDrive 2
  • Seatpost
    Giant Vector Composite
  • Saddle
    Fi'zi:k Aliante Delta
  • Pedals
    N/A
  • Shifters
    Shimano Ultegra Di2, Electronic
  • Front Derailleur
  • Rear Derailleur
  • Brakes
    Shimano Ultegra
  • Brake Levers
    Shimano Ultegra Di2
  • Cassette
    Shimano Ultegra 11x28, 10-Speed
  • Chain
    KMC X10SL
  • Crankset
    Shimano Ultegra, 34/50
  • Bottom Bracket
    Shimano, Press Fit
  • Rims
    Giant P-SL0 WheelSystem
  • Hubs
    Giant P-SL0 WheelSystem
  • Spokes
    Giant P-SL0 WheelSystem
  • Tires
    Giant P-SL1, 700x23, Front and Rear Specific, Folding
Old 07-05-21, 04:49 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

There's no need to precisely match the original components, and probably no reason to do so. However - does that frame have routing and cable stops for mechanical shifting, or does it only support electronic shifting? If so, that's going to limit your options. It appears Shimano has a flat-bar electronic shifter, SW-S705 (and maybe others, didn't look that hard), that will work with an electronic rear derailleur. Do you want to set up this bike with electronic shifting? That's a lot of extra expense.

Other than that, it takes a standard rim-brake wheelset, easy to find one of those - does not need to be from Giant. I'd get an older 10-speed wheelset since it will be cheaper, and use either a 10-speed drivetrain or an 11-speed with a wide-range cassette that will fit onto a 10-speed hub. You'll need a set of caliper rim brakes and compatible brake levers, but one nice thing about a flat-bar setup is those are separate from the shifters. You could set this up with a 1x drivetrain, since with the flat bar it sounds like maximum speed is not the goal. You'll need a bottom bracket, as mentioned before, and a front crank, and a rear derailleur, and a cassette and chain for the drivetrain. For the rest of the bike you'll need a seat, seatpost in the correct size (is it round or some unusual shape? if round, make sure to get the right diameter), pedals, stem and handlebar.

It would really help to know exactly what you have now and what you're hoping the bike will be when you're done.
Old 07-06-21, 04:38 PM
rochesterboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand
There's no need to precisely match the original components,...

Sorry I have a 24 hours 5-posts limit. Hence the delay in the response.

I think this bike only support electronic shifting. I need to double check that. Thank you for the rest of the details. I will look up the Shimao electronic shifter for flat bars.

All I have is a frame now. I want to end up with a lightweight carbon bike with a flat bar for a comfortable easy to ride bike.
Old 07-06-21, 04:42 PM
rochesterboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The compatibility chart is awesome.

Shifters: Shimano Ultegra Di2 6770, Electronic
Front Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra Di2 6770
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra Di2 6770

It looks the above is what I need if I go with all electronic route. I don't see a whole lot of info on Giant 2013 Defy Advanced 0 to decide if I could use manual shifters. I am still trying. Thank you.
Old 07-06-21, 04:52 PM
nathand

All I have is a frame now. I want to end up with a lightweight carbon bike with a flat bar for a comfortable easy to ride bike.
You've written several times now that you only have a frame. No fork (the part that holds the front wheel in place)? Is there a headset (the bearings that allow the fork to spin)? If you could upload some photos it would help - I think you can put them in your personal gallery (click the gallery link at the top), you won't be able to insert them in your post until you have enough posts, but you can still make them public.

I know there's a shortage of bikes to buy at the moment, but you would likely do a lot better buying a new or lightly-used complete bike than trying to build this up.
Old 07-06-21, 04:54 PM
nathand

These won't work on a flat bar, they're designed for a drop bar.
Old 07-06-21, 05:15 PM
rochesterboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These won't work on a flat bar, they're designed for a drop bar.
You are correct. I was looking at XT Di2 shifters for flat bars. I was not sure if those will work with 6770 Derailleurs. I will need to figure that out.
Old 07-06-21, 05:19 PM
rochesterboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You've written several times now that you only have a frame. No fork (the part that holds the front wheel in place)? Is there a headset (the bearings that allow the fork to spin)? If you could upload some photos it would help - I think you can put them in your personal gallery (click the gallery link at the top), you won't be able to insert them in your post until you have enough posts, but you can still make them public.

I know there's a shortage of bikes to buy at the moment, but you would likely do a lot better buying a new or lightly-used complete bike than trying to build this up.
I know that would be the right thing to do. But I am not getting the combination of size, carbon, flat bar, etc., in the used market. So I thought of trying this project myself. I would like to learn it so that I can build my future bikes as well.

I just added the pictures to my gallery.

I was looking at eBay for the forks. I will need one with OverDrive 2 Steerer. There are couple of them available on eBay with different colors. I will try to attach the frame pictures in the gallery.
Old 07-06-21, 05:32 PM
nathand

Pic assist:

Old 07-06-21, 06:03 PM
nathand

I'm sorry but this really looks like an exercise in frustration to me.

You do not need a Giant Overdrive 2 fork, the head tube is a standard size and there are no bearings installed. This frame has an integrated headset, you'll need to find the correct size bearings (either by careful measurement with a caliper or from a spec somewhere). You can probably get bearings to fit either a tapered steerer or a straight steerer; you'll have to figure out what's available that will work for you. The critical thing is that the steerer and the bearing match. You'll want a fork close to the dimensions of the original, which means you want to match the rake (or offset) and axle-crown (AC) distance, so that the bike handles as designed, although switching to the flat handlebars will throw that off to some extent. Depending on what fork you purchase, you may also need to install the correct crown race to match the bearings in the headset. You will probably need to cut down the steerer tube to a reasonable length. To finish installing the fork you'll need a top cover (might come with the bearings), some spacers, a stem, star nut or compression plug, and a top cap. Cane Creek has a good overview of headsets.

Moving backwards along the bike, you'll need a bottom bracket (another set of bearings). That's a press-fit bottom bracket of some sort but I don't know my standards well enough to tell you which one from the pictures. The bearings should be installed with the correct tool. Then you need cranks to match the bottom bracket, and you'll have to decide if you want a single chainring (in which case you don't need to worry about the front derailleur) or a front derailleur with multiple chainrings. I can't tell from the photos if the seatpost is round, but if it's not, you'll need to find one the right shape (which will be harder than a standard round one).

Past that you need brakes, cables, housing, a rear derailleur, a chain, wheels, cassette, I'm sure I'm missing something but I've already spent too much time on this post. I've built up a bike before from a frame and it was a fun learning experience, but I wouldn't expect this to be quick nor cheap, especially if you're going to do electronic shifting.
Likes For nathand:
Old 07-07-21, 05:01 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
This project has little hope of success. Cut your losses, sell the frame and keep shopping.
Old 07-09-21, 02:47 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
The compatibility chart is awesome.

Front Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra Di2 6770
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra Di2 6770

It looks the above is what I need if I go with all electronic route. I don't see a whole lot of info on Giant 2013 Defy Advanced 0 to decide if I could use manual shifters. I am still trying. Thank you.
I’m pretty sure you can use this frame with mechanical shifters too. Easy way to check is to look at specs for 2013 Defy Advanced 1/2/3 etc using the same frame. The 0 was the highest component spec in the line, hence electronic. But the lower specs would almost certainly be mechanical. The current Defy Advanced Pro still supports mechanical shifters, so this older model almost certainly will too.
Old 07-09-21, 12:33 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I'm in the process of doing this with a 2016 Cannondale frame that I just bought, but I might have a leg up on you in that I've worked at a couple of different bike shops in the past, and was sure to pick a frame that I could work on (mechanical shifting, BSA bottom bracket). In your case, I would do the following:

- If you don't know what headset and BB specs go into this frame, take it to a shop to have those installed (and make sure to pick a crank that works with whichever BB is getting installed). You'll save yourself a bit of grief by doing that.
- Find the specs for the original fork. You'll probably want to match the length and trail figures as closely as you can to avoid spooky steering. If you're not comfortable around a saw (or cutting a carbon steerer), bring your fork to the shop to get it cut down. Make sure to leave plenty of room for spacers to start out with.
- While you're there, get your crown race installed, too - that's fairly simple, but a freakin' pita. I used a PVC pipe over my fork's steerer tube, and started out with a mallet. Then I switched to a real hammer. Finally, I turned the fork + PVC pipe upside down and smacked the PVC pipe on the sidewalk to get the crown race seated. If a shop's willing to do it for $10 with a Park crown race tool and a ball peen hammer... let them.
- Do you have a set of tools to get you started? If not, you're going to want:
1. A good set of Allen keys for uncommon sizes
2. A Park Y-tool for your 4/5/6mm hex bolts (trust me, very useful)
3. A few metric wrenches for doing up brake bolts or other standard bolts you come across
4. Cable/housing cutters to get that clean edge (pliers, tin snips, and kitchen sheers won't cut it. no pun intended)
5. Cassette lockring and chainwhip
6. Bearing press for your BB, if you're doing it yourself. May need it for headset, too, but unlikely for this frame
7. You're working on carbon, so a torque wrench
8. Ample grease (not motor oil, lube, or WD-40), a bit of carbon paste, and even a dab of loctite
9. Nice to haves: calipers for measuring sizes/distances, a pedal wrench (though you may be able to use your regular wrenches or a 6mm Allen key, depending on your pedals), hairspray (for flat-bar grips)

I already had most of these when I started, so my list of tools really only came down to a cassette lockring tool and chainwhip. I also got a Park Tool PCS 4.2 because I always wanted my own stand after working on them in the shops.

Now, once you have all of the tools, there are a few places to get decent deals. I often start at Chain Reaction or Performance/Nashbar, and expand to PBK (had good luck with these guys and wheels) and Competitive Cyclist from there. I've seen deals at Merlin, but I don't think I've ever gotten anything from there. Amazon is better for tools than for name brand components, though you might be able to find some overstock components on Ebay.
Old 07-10-21, 03:55 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
You will need the appropriate Giant seat post and plastic cable guide under the bottom bracket for mechanical shifting.
Can use either OD2 fork or not. Difference is in the top bearing, not the frame.
Old 10-12-21, 08:38 PM
jennyshop

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I would like to build a light weight bike for my wife. Towards that, I purchased a 2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0 XS frame from ebay yesterday for $200 bucks.

I would like to build this as a Hybrid/flat bar bike for my wife. Considering that I am new to this, I am looking for help/direction and have a lot of questions.

Thanks in advance.
Good luck